Joint locks

letsplaygames

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Standing joint locks:

I teach what my Sifu called "The Chain Theory" Picture a three link chain... the actual "joint lock" is the middle link... just as important is the set up (the first link) and the position that arises (the last link) if the opponent evades the joint lock. (establishing other available techniques)

When we are talking standing joint locks .... The first and last link is more important than the middle... Standing joint locks are very hard to get... however from a pugilistic stand point, the attempt (used as an offensive action, creating a defensive action... opens up a lot of defense.

Employment of Yang & Yin Theory (working with the opposite.. e.g. he pushes forward, I pull ) also opens a lot of defensive doors.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standing joint locks:

I teach what my Sifu called "The Chain Theory" Picture a three link chain... the actual "joint lock" is the middle link... just as important is the set up (the first link) and the position that arises (the last link) if the opponent evades the joint lock. (establishing other available techniques)

When we are talking standing joint locks .... The first and last link is more important than the middle... Standing joint locks are very hard to get... however from a pugilistic stand point, the attempt (used as an offensive action, creating a defensive action... opens up a lot of defense.

Employment of Yang & Yin Theory (working with the opposite.. e.g. he pushes forward, I pull ) also opens a lot of defensive doors.
I teach a similar approach with all grappling. The least important part of each technique is the part we tend to think of as the technique. The entry (your first link) and the failure mode (your third link) matter much more. The entry is a combination of all the control you've created in the situation, and the failure mode is (in part) how you assess risk vs. reward and practice next steps (and counters).

Latest Discussions