John Wick 3 styles

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked a zillion times but what style(s) is Keanu actually using in the movie(s)? I know a simple search brings up Judo and Machado Bjj but exactly what else are some of the striking/blocking techniques he is using come from?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to Jonathan Eusebio, the film's choreographer, he calls it "fight film choreography".
"Growing up I trained in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido but it wasn't until I trained under Dan Inosanto where I was exposed to a wide variety martial arts. There I trained under Guro Dan in the filipino martial arts and Jun Fan Gung fu. I learned boxe francais under Nicolas Saignac, Muay Thai under Chai Sirisute, Shooto under Sensei Yori Nakamura and I trained regularly with Erik Paulson. Everytime I choreograph some type of concept from those systems is evident in my work. When I develop a fight style for characters onscreen I first assess what physical attributes an actor has and then with the director discuss how his character would move or fight. When we were coming up the chreography for the film we were watching a lot of judo and sambo competitions. A lot of Isao Okano footage. The struggle in trying to apply a technique was more important than the actual throw or submission technique. The scramble or transitions to position was what we wanted photograph in film. The difficult thing is to make it look real, to make the character/s appear as though they have real skills that the camera can pick up. In all of my work it is the understanding of all the training I've had and the studying of real competitions and competitors that I use for the movements."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is why they made ruby rose a boxer.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked a zillion times but what style(s) is Keanu actually using in the movie(s)? I know a simple search brings up Judo and Machado Bjj but exactly what else are some of the striking/blocking techniques he is using come from?
in short it has a lot more to do with dance than ma, all techniques work on film, its the definition of compliant partner, and one who throws himself to the ground theatrically to make the star look good