Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually Joe has bashed on "Kido".... The funny thing is while throwing out the "Well if it was real why dont we see it in ufc"... Meanwhile UFC rules ban small joint manipulation.

I Guess if a lot of fighters got broken wrists or fingers it would hurt the Organization position before the Lawmakers would would BAN ufc if they could...
Just a few things. First, I wish all of you guys would let this "kido" thing go. Is it really this big of a deal? I have no idea what kido is, but I could understand it well enough from context. I didn't feel like I had to google it or anything like that. It's up there with a slew of other borrowed words used, and made enough sense to me.

But at the same time, if people who have trained in KMA, CMA or JMA for years don't understand it, just explain it and move on. Who gives a rat's *** if it's common knowledge or not? It's gotten to the point where you guys are just taking pot shots at each other.

Second, wrist locks are not small joint manipulation, and are perfectly legal in MMA. Small joints would include fingers and toes. Ankles, wrists, knees, elbows and shoulders are all perfectly acceptable targets under the MMA unified ruleset. That said, fingers and toes get broken often enough that I'm pretty sure the lawmakers aren't going to fret overly much about them. I can completely understand why the UFC and other MMA promotions would discourage the intentional breaking of them. My little toe is like a Vienna sausage it's been broken so many times. :)

Third, have you ever clarified exactly what Joe Rogan statement you're referring to in the OP? This is a long discussion about what amounts to unsubstantiated hearsay. Could you please provide more context so that the actual statements by Joe Rogan could be addressed? Otherwise, I'm going to conclude that this is a bunch of TMA guys being insecure about what they think the big, bad MMA guys are saying behind their backs. So far, this thread reads like the comments section on one of my teenager's facebook pages.

"Can you, like, believe that Joe Rogan totally dissed TMA?"
"I know. He's so totes rude."
"Why's he gotta front on us? You do you. Amiright???"
"I know. :Like, OMG. Right? What's he know about kido?"
"WTF is kido?"
"Dude, you don't know?"

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a few things. First, I wish all of you guys would let this "kido" thing go. Is it really this big of a deal? I have no idea what kido is, but I could understand it well enough from context. I didn't feel like I had to google it or anything like that. It's up there with a slew of other borrowed words used, and made enough sense to me.

But at the same time, if people who have trained in KMA, CMA or JMA for years don't understand it, just explain it and move on. Who gives a rat's *** if it's common knowledge or not? It's gotten to the point where you guys are just taking pot shots at each other.

Second, wrist locks are not small joint manipulation, and are perfectly legal in MMA. Small joints would include fingers and toes. Ankles, wrists, knees, elbows and shoulders are all perfectly acceptable targets under the MMA unified ruleset. That said, fingers and toes get broken often enough that I'm pretty sure the lawmakers aren't going to fret overly much about them. I can completely understand why the UFC and other MMA promotions would discourage the intentional breaking of them. My little toe is like a Vienna sausage it's been broken so many times. :)

Third, have you ever clarified exactly what Joe Rogan statement you're referring to in the OP? This is a long discussion about what amounts to unsubstantiated hearsay. Could you please provide more context so that the actual statements by Joe Rogan could be addressed? Otherwise, I'm going to conclude that this is a bunch of TMA guys being insecure about what they think the big, bad MMA guys are saying behind their backs. So far, this thread reads like the comments section on one of my teenager's facebook pages.

You made me smile. Thank you.

Insert meme: Morgan Freeman "He's right you know"

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TSDTexan, every once in awhile, @Tez3 likes to make it clear that she has me on her ignore list. :)

Wait... What?
She...Her...?

Are you saying that because He can't read your comments or.... She...

Frankly...

Rule 16/Rule 30 of the interwebs Brah,
Tez3 is a dude, totes.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait... What?
She...Her...?

Frankly...

Tez3 is a dude, totes.

Weird post. Are you alright?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Steve, post: 1720428, member: 17506]
Third, have you ever clarified exactly what Joe Rogan statement you're referring to in the OP? This is a long discussion about what amounts to unsubstantiated hearsay. Could you please provide more context so that the actual statements by Joe Rogan could be addressed?

Otherwise, I'm going to conclude that this is a bunch of TMA guys being insecure about what they think the big, bad MMA guys are saying behind their backs. So far, this thread reads like the comments section on one of my teenager's facebook pages.[/QUOTE]

Well. I have repeatedly said MMA is valid martial form of art.
So its not insecurity.. I just feel that some of his comments are off base.

I don't have time right not to chase down each and every YouTube video where he disses many TMAs and calls them fantasy martial arts and groups them with nonsense fake arts. Perhaps later I will get a chance to.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Sorry, you gave up your right to hear part of the conversation we are having about you, when you put a certain person on your ignore list.

So he is talking about you, and I am responding to him about you.

You are only allowed to see what I am saying.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wait... What?
She...Her...?

Frankly...

Tez3 is a dude, totes.
LOL. Okay, it may be true that there are no women on the internet, I'm pretty sure Tez3 is female. She's pretty knowledgeable, too and has a lot of good insight. She just gets mad sometimes. She isn't very fond of me, but I like her particular brand of curmudgeon.

But, being serious, I think it would really help the conversation if you could be more specific about which statement by Joe Rogan you're referring to. I think Chris Parker and a few others have asked for the same. If you can help me out there, I think the conversation would be more constructive.

Shhh... it's okay. Just relax. Pretending you aren't reading my posts just makes your own posts more enjoyable. :)

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOL. Okay, it may be true that there are no women on the internet, I'm pretty sure Tez3 is female. She's pretty knowledgeable, too and has a lot of good insight. She just gets mad sometimes. She isn't very fond of me, but I like her particular brand of curmudgeon.

But, being serious, I think it would really help the conversation if you could be more specific about which statement by Joe Rogan you're referring to. I think Chris Parker and a few others have asked for the same. If you can help me out there, I think the conversation would be more constructive.

Shhh... it's okay. Just relax. Pretending you aren't reading my posts just makes your own posts more enjoyable. :)

1428135514083.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Another thing that can be of benefit to young kids is learning traditional martial arts. I wouldn't recommend many forms of traditional martial arts as a primary skillset for someone that's an adult that wants to fight soon, but for little kids the discipline and philosophy you get from a really good traditional school can really come in handy in life. There's lots of lessons that people learn inherently from pushing themselves in hard training, but I think one of the things that many folks that only participate in MMA training miss is the tools that really solid traditional martial arts styles teach for managing the mind.

There's also a benefit in taking traditional styles early (like Tae Kwon Do) because you develop flexibility and kicking dexterity before your body matures. To this day I'm really flexible and I have to think that a lot of that can be attributed to starting Tae Kwon Do and stretching right when I was going through puberty."
Joe Rogan from here Interviewly -Joe Rogan November 2014 - reddit AMA

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Another thing that can be of benefit to young kids is learning traditional martial arts. I wouldn't recommend many forms of traditional martial arts as a primary skillset for someone that's an adult that wants to fight soon, but for little kids the discipline and philosophy you get from a really good traditional school can really come in handy in life. There's lots of lessons that people learn inherently from pushing themselves in hard training, but I think one of the things that many folks that only participate in MMA training miss is the tools that really solid traditional martial arts styles teach for managing the mind.

There's also a benefit in taking traditional styles early (like Tae Kwon Do) because you develop flexibility and kicking dexterity before your body matures. To this day I'm really flexible and I have to think that a lot of that can be attributed to starting Tae Kwon Do and stretching right when I was going through puberty."
Joe Rogan from here Interviewly -Joe Rogan November 2014 - reddit AMA

Clearly he doesn't consider, by implication, TKD capable of giving an artist tools to protect ones self in a fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, you gave up your right to hear part of the conversation we are having about you, when you put a certain person on your ignore list.

So he is talking about you, and I am responding to him about you.

You are only allowed to see what I am saying.

Whichever one it is on my ignore list that suits me, you should realise though that when you put someone on ignore you see nothing at all, not the name or even that someone has posted there is no post at all so to me your post came straight after mine looking like I made you laugh and that I was right which if course I am roflmao. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly he doesn't consider, by implication, TKD capable of giving an artist tools to protect ones self in a fight.

Who knows, only he seems to know what he means, I wouldn't argue for or against him, not my type of person.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whichever one it is on my ignore list that suits me, you should realise though that when you put someone on ignore you see nothing at all, not the name or even that someone has posted there is no post at all so to me your post came straight after mine looking like I made you laugh and that I was right which if course I am roflmao. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am already aware of how ignore works. Its not a new feature. It existed in the days of dial up bulletin boards circa '90s.

And.. No I didn't laugh... I smiled. Which is a rare thing. I am a very serious person, and perhaps, if I wasn't carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, and saving all life as we know it, every few minutes... I could laugh.

Smiling is usually as good as it gets.

Every day I wake up, and I feel like the tenth doctor, after Rose is walled away, from his universe.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, this thread is not about how commonly used the word "kido" is. It's not about Tez3, who has who in their ignore list, or any of the other off-topic wanderings that are being posted.
Please, return to the topic. If you'd like to discuss the word "kido", or the contents of your ignore list, or the color of your socks, please start a thread for that topic and stop derailing this one.
Off-topic posts are a violation of the TOS, in case people have forgotten.
This is what we call a "nudge". Please don't make us get all Official.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am already aware of how ignore works. Its not a new feature. It existed in the days of dial up bulletin boards circa '90s.

Actually the details changed on this site, it's relatively new that here everything is wiped off, before that we saw the person had posted something but not what. We used to have a few things here such as rep, a thank you button and more interesting emoticons but it changed sadly but there you go.
I was trying to get back to Joe Rogan by posting his interview.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Way of the Rogan
“In my 20 years of martial arts experience, I have never seen anyone throw a turning-side kick harder than Joe Rogan.” —Eddie Bravo

There’s not a more excited man than Joe Rogan when a wheel kick is thrown inside the Octagon. It’s a little homage to his Taekwondo upbringing—Rogan was a four-time state champion in Massachusetts and taught the art at Boston University. As MMA has evolved, he’s had a front row seat to the innovations that fighters are bringing into the UFC, and he’s the first to call out a setup for an acrobatic kick.

“Parts of it really does translate over,” Rogan told HDNet. “The timing, the footwork—there’s some kicks that work from Taekwondo, like the spinning-back kicks and wheel kicks. They would work in MMA.”

Rogan has even provided a blueprint for fighters. UFC Welterweight Champ Georges St-Pierre once said the comedian had the best spinningback kick he’s ever seen.

“I wanted to know if the mechanics of my spinning-back kick were right,” St-Pierre said. “So he corrected me, and he really helped me out.”

Rogan, of course, doesn’t say that pure Taekwondo fighters are anything more than cannon fodder for trained mixed martial artists. However, in small ways, and with a few screams, he carries the TKD flag."

From here The Way of the Hand and Foot FIGHT Magazine

The thing is no one style will succeed in MMA, that's why self evidently it's called mixed martial arts. I think Rogan says what he thinks at the time he says it like many show business personalities, whether he means it or not I don't know but he gets talked about and that's the life blood of people like him. kepps him inbusiness.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Folks, this thread is not about how commonly used the word "kido" is. It's not about Tez3, who has who in their ignore list, or any of the other off-topic wanderings that are being posted.
Please, return to the topic. If you'd like to discuss the word "kido", or the contents of your ignore list, or the color of your socks, please start a thread for that topic and stop derailing this one.
Off-topic posts are a violation of the TOS, in case people have forgotten.
This is what we call a "nudge". Please don't make us get all Official.

Acknowledged.