Joe Rogan smack talking TMA's like kung fu

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
/sigh
Tez3...
Have you considered reading words Aikido, Hapkido, Hapkido and guessing what part of there name they have in common?

Can you understand using that as a generic term to refer to techniques from arts that use similar biomechanics?

Or do I really need to specify each and every applicable art's name and put hyphens between them.
If so... This would be what it might look like.
Back to the original statement:
"Technique validates itself. Either it works or it doesn't.
A real kido [as in Hapkido, Aiki-jūjutsu, Chin Na, Aikido, Hapkido] technique for breaking a wrist will always break a wrist. If.. It is correctly applied.

The wrist only can move so many degrees in one direction before it breaks.

A bogus kido technique is one that if applied "correctly" and does not break the wrist, and/or it cannot be applied outside of theory."

Just write English that will be fine.

PS they aren't hyphens they are commas.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
/sigh
Tez3...
Have you considered reading words Aikido, Hapkido, Hapkido and guessing what part of there name they have in common?

Can you understand using that as a generic term to refer to techniques from arts that use similar biomechanics?

Or do I really need to specify each and every applicable art's name and put hyphens between them.
If so... This would be what it might look like.
Back to the original statement:
"Technique validates itself. Either it works or it doesn't.
A real kido [as in Hapkido, Aiki-jūjutsu, Chin Na, Aikido, Hapkido] technique for breaking a wrist will always break a wrist. If.. It is correctly applied.

A bogus kido technique is one that if applied "correctly" and does not break the wrist, and/or it cannot be applied outside of theory."

For the record Qinna; not all "real" qinna applications break things....qinna is joint locking, bone breaking and muscle and tendon tearing, But it is not necessary to break anything to be real "non-bogus" qinna.

And wouldn't it been a whole lot easier to simply say kido was a slang term you, and possibly other you know, use right off the bat, thereby avoiding all this to begin with.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
40 year background in TMA with a little more of that in CMA so...... a Long time Chinese martial arts guy here, trained a fair share of Qinna to and I have to tell you I have never heard of the term "kido" applied to Qinna or anything else in TMA...that is unless I heard someone call someone else kiddo.....

OK, That is reasonable. I never said that Chin Na, or Qinna by your spelling contained that "term".
This is missing the point.
The fact, is I used a generic term. This term is fairly common in KMAs that are subject matter related. Partly because Hapkido is known by many names and it is also blended into other KMAs.

There is a very large spectrum... So a generic term called "Kido" was employed by a federation/association when the Korean government ordered that all Hapkido types fall into a common organization to interact with the government.

In much the same way, I have refered to a technique that is meant to break a wrist using mechanics as found in these various CMA/FMA/JMA/KMAs using a "catch-all" term.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks

actually the spelling of Qinna is 擒拿 :D

"Chin na" is Wade-Giles spelling which was developed by the British, "Qinna" is pinyin which was developed by the Chinese, I tend towards the pinyin, but both are correct for our purposes here

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the record Qinna; not all "real" qinna applications break things....qinna is joint locking, bone breaking and muscle and tendon tearing, But it is not necessary to break anything to be real "non-bogus" qinna.

And wouldn't it been a whole lot easier to simply say kido was a slang term you, and possibly other you know, use right off the bat, thereby avoiding all this to begin with.

Hey... I never said or implied Qinna broke everything. I am sure, if it did, it would cease being taught.

In fact, I was very specific in my statement, without nameing any individual MA.

At this rate with all the nitpicking and qualifications that seem to be required... I might just not say anything further (down the road).

Technique validates itself. Either it works or it doesn't.
A real technique for breaking a wrist will always break a wrist. If.. It is correctly applied.

A bogus technique is one that if applied "correctly" and does not break the wrist, and/or it cannot be applied outside of theory.

But now... This statement is so general as to meaning... What kind of wrist breaking technique? A striking one? We don't know because it doesn't say.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban Dictionary Kido

Not that well known as a generic term then if this is all that could be found. :)

Your amended statement is no worse than your original as that made little sense. It's not 'nitpicking' nor would it need qualifying if you were to write things people could understand without the use of words only you use or phrases that are distinctly ambiguous.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Slang is informal.

The word Kido actually is a formal term.

The problem in Korea is the Chinese ideograms that spell Aikido and Hapkido are the same... And they are pronounced different in Korean and in Japanese.

Also, even though they use the exact same Chinese characters, the arts are not the same.

The only official confirmation from the Japanese is that the Korean founder of Hapkido took a one or two (10 day) seminars from the founder of modern Daito Ryu Aiki-jūjutsu.

The Korean founder has a very different story on how much training he received, but it was significant enough that the art form has very strong influence by DRAJJ. DRAJJ is also the parent art of Aikido.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Urban Dictionary Kido

Not that well known as a generic term then if this is all that could be found. :)

Your amended statement is no worse than your original as that made little sense. It's not 'nitpicking' nor would it need qualifying if you were to write things people could understand without the use of words only you use or phrases that are distinctly ambiguous.

google "Kido Hae"

It is well enough known in Korean MA leadership, and many MA schools are involved with them.

Just so you know... Hae means association, fellowship or federation.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have to explain all this shows that it is not common knowledge. The OP says '....smacking TMAs like Kung Fu' so it stands to reason that people from many different styles are reading and responding aren't going to necessarily understand a term or reference from one specific style therefore one has to write for the majority. Just so you know I also practice a Korean art as well as a Japanese one and MMA.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
google "Kido Hae"
Just so you know... Hae means association, fellowship or federation.
Urban Dictionary Kido

Others were able to instantly understand my comment.

And then make comment their Sensei was teaching them wrong.

They perfectly understood what I was saying when I used the word Kido.

But they attached the word "wrist lock" to wrist breaking. Which was beyond what I said.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Others were able instantly understand my comment.
And then comment their Sensei was teaching them wrong.
They perfectly understood what I was saying when I used the word Kido.

Yes dear of course everyone did.....

I won't remind you that another poster also said they didn't know what it meant. Oh and exactly who said their instructor was teaching them wrongly? I read Chris parker's comments taking your argument to pieces but I haven't read anyone agreeing with your comments yet.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The fact that you have to explain all this shows that it is not common knowledge. The OP says '....smacking TMAs like Kung Fu' so it stands to reason that people from many different styles are reading and responding aren't going to necessarily understand a term or reference from one specific style therefore one has to write for the majority. Just so you know I also practice a Korean art as well as a Japanese one and MMA.
Not common knowledge to who?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not common knowledge to who?

Well...you said it was a Hapkido term so it's not going to be a term commonly understood by non Hapkido people is it?
I suppose it's too much to ask if we can go back to the OP because really this has nothing to do with Joe Rogan and his interesting habit of opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes dear of course everyone did.....

I won't remind you that another poster also said they didn't know what it meant. Oh and exactly who said their instructor was teaching them wrongly? I read Chris parker's comments taking your argument to pieces but I haven't read anyone agreeing with your comments yet.

I see that you read "others" and realize some get what I am saying, but you dont.

Dont confuse being wrong with conceding. I conceded the point, at that time. I am doing research, and may rebut Chris Parker when I have sufficient evidence to make my case.

Your sarcasm is pretty open, and approaching disrespect. I would like to remain on friendly terms, but I have no problem freezing you out of my online existence, should you continue.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that you read "others" and realize some get what I am saying, but you dont.

Dont confuse being wrong with conceding. I conceded the point, at that time. I am doing research, and may rebut Chris Parker when I have sufficient evidence to make my case.

Your sarcasm is pretty open, and approaching disrespect. I would like to remain on friendly terms, but I have no problem freezing you out of my online existence, should you continue.

You think that is sarcasm? It's not. I asked an honest question because I did not know what you meant when you used a word, I looked it up and couldn't find any meaning other than the one I posted. You are making an issue of it. Your patronising answer was disrespectful but I chose to ignore that aspect and explained further, you went on the defensive.

What I had to say has nothing to do with what Chris has said. I merely said I had read what he had written but hadn't read anyone saying their Senseis were teaching them incorrectly. If I missed that post you could have reposted it.
You have taken this thread so far off topic that it's got pretty pointless, as for the threat to put me on ignore, crack on. I shall try not to cry..........with laughter.
Do not have a go at me because you think I'm an easier target than Chris Parker.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well...you said it was a Hapkido term so it's not going to be a term commonly understood by non Hapkido people is it?
I suppose it's too much to ask if we can go back to the OP because really this has nothing to do with Joe Rogan and his interesting habit of opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble.

Actually Joe has bashed on "Kido".... The funny thing is while throwing out the "Well if it was real why dont we see it in ufc"... Meanwhile UFC rules ban small joint manipulation.

I Guess if a lot of fighters got broken wrists or fingers it would hurt the Organization position before the Lawmakers would would BAN ufc if they could...

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You think that is sarcasm? It's not. I asked an honest question because I did not know what you meant when you used a word, I looked it up and couldn't find any meaning other than the one I posted. You are making an issue of it. Your patronising answer was disrespectful but I chose to ignore that aspect and explained further, you went on the defensive.

What I had to say has nothing to do with what Chris has said. I merely said I had read what he had written but hadn't read anyone saying their Senseis were teaching them incorrectly. If I missed that post you could have reposted it.
You have taken this thread so far off topic that it's got pretty pointless, as for the threat to put me on ignore, crack on. I shall try not to cry..........with laughter.

As you like. I guess you didn't read the post by argus yesterday where he said quote:

If a properly applied wrist-lock should always end in a broken wrist, it would seem that I've never learned how to do a proper wrist lock! I guess my Aikido teacher has been holding out on me! I would ask him to show me, but I don't want to get my wrist broken.

He understood the informal use of the word Kido... From a Japanese art view.

And he said his Sensei was holding out on him....a joke...

My quibble with him is I never used the word wristlock. I used the word break. Two different intents.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Do not have a go at me because you think I'm an easier target than Chris Parker.

You assign intent when you say patronizing. You know nothing of my heart or motive.

I never targeted you, or Chris. Please refrain from such insinuating statements.

You started a line of questions and we were having a talk.
I pointed out someone understood me, when you didn't.

You pushed the scope to absolute with the word "everyone"

When I pish-poshed that noise...

Your response was "Yes dear of course everyone did....."

This is sarcasm. Or it can be easily interpreted as such. As such, its what I called you on. Not your Honest Question

Frankly, I haven't been on the defensive until your response to me saying nitpicking.

Which clearly you are, and have been. You dont care for my writing style or methods. You would rather I was plain spoken.

You dont like that I am calling you on it.. Tough.

You dont like words that you can't Google for a quick study... Tough. There is an option...Learn contextual reading.
As for you telling me how to write...
Poop! That's what I say to that notion.

As you said "just write English that will be fine".

I would like to extend benefit of the doubt... And believe that you are not testing and pseudo-provoking me. I will act as such. Perhaps you are not.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You assign intent when you say patronizing. You know nothing of my heart or motive.

I never targeted you, or Chris. Please refrain from such insinuating statements.

You started a line of questions and we were having a talk.
I pointed out someone understood me, when you didn't.

You pushed the scope to absolute with the word "everyone"

When I pish-poshed that noise...

Your response was "Yes dear of course everyone did....."

This is sarcasm. Or it can be easily interpreted as such. As such, its what I called you on. Not your Honest Question

Frankly, I haven't been on the defensive until your response to me saying nitpicking.

Which clearly you are, and have been. You dont care for my writing style or methods. You would rather I was plain spoken.

You dont like that I am calling you on it.. Tough.

You dont like words that you can't Google for a quick study... Tough. There is an option...Learn contextual reading.
As for you telling me how to write...
Poop! That's what I say to that notion.

As you said "just write English that will be fine"

Methinks you doth protest too much.

Latest Discussions