Joe Rogan and the UFC

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
When is the UFC gonna dump this clown? Can't they find someone a bit better for commentary? Watching the UFC Best of 2005 tonight is painful because of Rogan's commentary. He says things which are totally opposite of whats going on. He should stick to dumb meatheads on Fear Factor.

HKF

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
I don't know... I kinda like him. :)

Rumor has it that he's lining up a fight with Wesley Snipes. Take that with a few grains of salt, as it is just something I've heard kicked around the MMA boards. I have absolutely no info., otherwise.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He seems ok to me. He's alot better than the people that they had when the show first started.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Joe Rogan he is a very delightful person and the show has gotten better with him before it was just a bluurr.
Terry

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Rumor has it that he's lining up a fight with Wesley Snipes. Take that with a few grains of salt, as it is just something I've heard kicked around the MMA boards. I have absolutely no info., otherwise.

Yeah, I've heard that too. Let's hope it's true! I think it'd be a real interesting fight.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That rumor has been around for a while supposedly Snips asked for the match I'd like to see it happen
As for his commentary well it leaves something to be desired but at least it is not totaly scripted and I have herad worse on other shows

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
As for his commentary well it leaves something to be desired but at least it is not totaly scripted and I have herad worse on other shows

Agreed. He probably isn't the best guy for the job but I can appreciate the fact that the reason he gets excited and a little out of control at times is because he genuinely loves this stuff. He doesn't just talk about it, he's been training in it for a long time. You at least have to give him a little bit of credit for that. And I've heard what the commentary sounds like when it's done by someone who doesn't really give a rat's a$$ about it. It's worse.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like Joe Rogan. He's definatly not perfect but, I love his enthusiasm, I think he loves the UFC & has alot of respect for the fighters plus he's really down to earth, very honest person I like that. He gets so excited, kind of like a little kid. I find him entertaining plus I like how he critiques his own commentary.

Neal

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like him or hate him, Joe sincerely loves MMA and is a good ambassador/crossover link to the mainstream audience. He's not the best ever fight commentator but he brings lots of other things to the table.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, he isn't too bad, I've heard much worse. In fact, can we get the UFC to drop Bruce Buffer instead!!!

7sm

mad_boxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
man i really dislike him, a lot of the time it seems he doesn't even know whats happening or what the hell hes talkin about. i think it was UFC 55 FURY where there was a match on and he said "if this was a gi jiu jitsu match, he(firget who) would be knocked out already" theres no striking in gi jiu jitsu matches so i fail to see how theguy would be "knocked out" plus he just generally gets on my nerves.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mad_boxer said:
man i really dislike him, a lot of the time it seems he doesn't even know whats happening or what the hell hes talkin about. i think it was UFC 55 FURY where there was a match on and he said "if this was a gi jiu jitsu match, he(firget who) would be knocked out already" theres no striking in gi jiu jitsu matches so i fail to see how theguy would be "knocked out" plus he just generally gets on my nerves.

Sounds about right, enthusiasm is there... but he says some really stupid things when it comes to what's going on in the fight. I'd like to see him replaced, maybe they could get one of the retired fighters to take the spot?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rogan, love him or hate him, is a more accomplished martial artist than most people on this board. He is a 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo, and has been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for quite a while, under Jean-jeaques Machado and Eddie Bravo. I think he has been training around 8 years or so. Plus, he loves MMA.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love Joe even when he was just a flunky actor before the UFC or even what is that show forgot old age or just do not care anymore which ever leave him be. Terry

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Rogan, love him or hate him, is a more accomplished martial artist than most people on this board. He is a 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo, and has been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for quite a while, under Jean-jeaques Machado and Eddie Bravo. I think he has been training around 8 years or so. Plus, he loves MMA.

I wasn't aware of that. Interesting and good job, doesn't change the fact that he sucks as an announcer.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Main thing that bugs me is when he starts talking about what the fighter should or needs to do. Barely seems like he's paying attention to the fight, or the fighter's background. Does someone with a weak ground game really need to go for a takedown? It's not like they're going to be any better off once they get there. Someone has a half applied submission that they're already giving up on and he's still talking them through the move etc.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
...reminds me of the announcers for the old "World's Strongest Man" contests...terrible. Now, thank God, they have folks involved in the sport doing it most often.

Off topic...

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I just wish he'd let the winner of the fight have a chance to answer his post fight questions. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he asks a question, the fighter starts to answer, and he's like great! Then tries to pull the mic away. If your going to interview, let them respond Joe!

Latest Discussions