The best of Rogan and Goldberg, where Rogan goes overboard

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-15-2009 04:21 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-216269528-1258316415.jpg
For UFC 105, I decided not to try to avoid the results before the Spike broadcast. As such, I knew that Randy Couture beat Brandon Vera in a close decision well before I watched the fights, and people were already up in arms about it.

When I watched, I agreed that the fight could have gone either way, and I did score it for Vera. However, it was a close fight, and sometimes, in close fights, the judges don't agree with the fans and media. Why was there so much vitriol over this decision?

UFC color analyst Joe Rogan, of course. He swayed the popular thought with statements like, "Randy was really hurt to that kick to the body. He didn't show it, but he was." If he didn't show it, how do you know? Do you have a secret insight, and if so, will you please share it with the class? Rogan went on about Couture' power, strength and size throughout the fight, but then questioned the decision. Really?

There's nothing wrong with Rogan disagreeing with the judges. It's actually a good thing that he voices his disagreements. Otherwise, he would turn into a shill like the guy he sits next to. But using that microphone to say that this was a bad decision when it was just a really close fight isn't a good use of the microphone. With that said, let's get to the best quotes of the night.

"To be a legend, you must beat a legend, and tonight it's the greatest legend, Randy Couture." -- Goldberg. Apparently, Goldberg gets a bonus every time he says legend.

"And a couple of unnecessary shots at the end there." -- Rogan, after Andre Winner knocked out Roli Delgado. This, again, is Rogan using his microphone for the wrong things. Winner's job was to keep hitting Delgado until a referee stopped him. He's a fighter, not a doctor or a referee.

"I've rolled with Dan Hardy. He's very hard to hold down." -- Rogan. Oh, really?

"For a shot at Georges St. Pierre."
-- Goldberg. "Maybe it's better to lose." -- Rogan

"That was the right hand that had him on queer street."
-- Rogan

"I think all referees should be required to talk in that accent."
-- Rogan, about Marc Goddard. Agreed. British accents always make me happy.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions