Joe Lewis vs bill Wallace

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow just saw this fight. I've trained with both in the past and never realised they fought each other. It's a damm good fight between 2 older guys both still in great shape. I know it was an exhibition but I think Wallace won the fight he just did more in it but either way great fight between 2 legends. But reading the comments section of this is disgusting the amount of arrogance and disrespect people show. None of those commenters would step in the ring let alone at 45 years old as these 2 were.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen it before. Fun to watch, but it was annoying the way the commentators were pretending it was a real contest rather than an exhibition which was carried out like a friendly sparring match. If it had been a real fight Lewis would have used his size and power to push Wallace around and hurt him more.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The exhibition was Bill's idea. It was originally supposed to be him and Chuck Norris. I forget what happened with that, but I think Norris was shooting one of the Delta Force movies.

Bill actually got paid more for that exhibition than he did for any of his tittle defenses. (can you even imagine that?) I think Joe did too, but I forget. (Peanuts to what everybody gets paid today.)

I know Bill was focused on Joe's kicks, because they really hurt, even when he's going light, even in an exhibition. Hard to really describe how strong Joe's kicks were. But when you fight from a side stance like Bill does, and the other guy is in a boxing stance, it's easier to watch hips, which Bill Wallace is a master at. (Masters degree in Kinesiology sure helps, too)

Love them both. Miss Joe so very much.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The exhibition was Bill's idea. It was originally supposed to be him and Chuck Norris. I forget what happened with that, but I think Norris was shooting one of the Delta Force movies.

Bill actually got paid more for that exhibition than he did for any of his tittle defenses. (can you even imagine that?) I think Joe did too, but I forget. (Peanuts to what everybody gets paid today.)

I know Bill was focused on Joe's kicks, because they really hurt, even when he's going light, even in an exhibition. Hard to really describe how strong Joe's kicks were. But when you fight from a side stance like Bill does, and the other guy is in a boxing stance, it's easier to watch hips, which Bill Wallace is a master at. (Masters degree in Kinesiology sure helps, too)

Love them both. Miss Joe so very much.
I like both but I think I preffered Wallace as a fighter as he showed how you can be amazing with a handicap he dominated the sport with 1 leg and everyone knew it was coming you couldn't stop it. Lewis was a very strong guy and great technique absolutely but just always preffered Wallace and the way he handled himself more my type of guy than Lewis but both legends it would've been interesting to see them fight in their primes at 100%.

Also to add glad it did change to Lewis than chuck Norris because no offence to chuck he's a top level guy to but he never fought full contact so Wallace would have a lot more full contact experience, but him and Lewis were fairly even in kickboxing experience

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few elbow counters would have interesting.
It's kickboxing rules so no elbows plus even if they were legal I doubt they'd have used them this wasn't a serious match they wouldn't want to risk screwing each other up badly with elbows since they're friends and just fighting here for a bit of fun

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kickboxing rules so no elbows plus even if they were legal I doubt they'd have used them this wasn't a serious match they wouldn't want to risk screwing each other up badly with elbows since they're friends and just fighting here for a bit of fun

Yeah I understand that, but there was no point in fighting then. Just kicking is rediculas, shows nothing. But yes I am more than likely missing the point. Stuff like this is pointless. As a friend, injury is a trophy no?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that, but there was no point in fighting then. Just kicking is rediculas, shows nothing. But yes I am more than likely missing the point. Stuff like this is pointless. As a friend, injury is a trophy no?
Of course there's point to it. They both made good money and had a good time. If you go to the park and play a friendly game with your friends is that pointless to? And no an Injury is not a trophy an injury is an injury that could potentially cause serious damage and incapacitate you and stop you being able to train for a while and since both these men's main business was martial art teaching that would've been very stupid and did you watch the fight it wasn't just kicking they used kickboxing rules and elbows aren't put of those rules.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course there's point to it. They both made good money and had a good time. If you go to the park and play a friendly game with your friends is that pointless to? And no an Injury is not a trophy an injury is an injury that could potentially cause serious damage and incapacitate you and stop you being able to train for a while and since both these men's main business was martial art teaching that would've been very stupid and did you watch the fight it wasn't just kicking they used kickboxing rules and elbows aren't put of those rules.

No I was just thinking between friends some us have boundrys that transend what is aceeptable in normal means. Guess you wolud call that street, but with no malice. Sometimes, a technique calls for validation. That does not mean cuasing harm, it is just to explore, sometimes you have to think out of the box. Fighting techniques always employ a sandbox. Those of that who know, use that sandbox without malice.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I was just thinking between friends some us have boundrys that transend what is aceeptable in normal means. Guess you wolud call that street, but with no malice. Sometimes, a technique calls for validation. That does not mean cuasing harm, it is just to explore, sometimes you have to think out of the box. Fighting techniques always employ a sandbox. Those of that who know, use that sandbox without malice.
I'm sure Joe Lewis had experience in using elbows in training. Quite possibly Bill Wallace does too. It's irrelevant, though, because this was a sport match in a sport where the legal techniques were punches and kicks above the waist. It makes no sense to watch a wrestling match and complain "I want to see kicks" or a boxing match and ask "I want to see chokes" or an MMA match and say "I want to see weapons" or a tennis match and say "I want to see a home run." If you're playing a sport, compete by the rules of that sport.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Joe Lewis had experience in using elbows in training. Quite possibly Bill Wallace does too. It's irrelevant, though, because this was a sport match in a sport where the legal techniques were punches and kicks above the waist. It makes no sense to watch a wrestling match and complain "I want to see kicks" or a boxing match and ask "I want to see chokes" or an MMA match and say "I want to see weapons" or a tennis match and say "I want to see a home run." If you're playing a sport, compete by the rules of that sport.

Yes I see that. I just don't see the point of such things. My bad Tony, skills should be displayed. Among friends it was you expect. The challenge. Don't matter if you take an elbow, you take a choke. You are friends, that is what you do. No malice, just friendship. You teach each other, you learn from each other. And yes, a bandaid maybe needed. That is fun too :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I think of Joe and Bill, I think of respected competitors, the word friends isn't my first thought.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I see that. I just don't see the point of such things. My bad Tony, skills should be displayed. Among friends it was you expect. The challenge. Don't matter if you take an elbow, you take a choke. You are friends, that is what you do. No malice, just friendship. You teach each other, you learn from each other. And yes, a bandaid maybe needed. That is fun too :)
Yes but it was kickboxing rules so why would they throw an elbow when it's illegal

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but it was kickboxing rules so why would they throw an elbow when it's illegal

Yes, I obviously missed the point. I just thinking back to the days when my mates nd myself put gloves in the back garden and had a bit of fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this wasn't a training session. And it wasn't a place for validation. It was a friendly exhibition, a place for light sparring to let people see a couple of legends playing and having fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I obviously missed the point. I just thinking back to the days when my mates nd myself put gloves in the back garden and had a bit of fun.
Yes, but that's an entirely different scenario than getting into the ring with those same friends under a specific set of rules. I remember rolling with a high school buddy (we were both in college at the time). He had wrestling experience and I had Judo experience. No rules, just trying stuff out. If we'd gone to a competition together (we never did), we'd have played by those rules.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah like you said in the back garden...these 2 were fighting in a ring in a sport situation with rules

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that's an entirely different scenario than getting into the ring with those same friends under a specific set of rules. I remember rolling with a high school buddy (we were both in college at the time). He had wrestling experience and I had Judo experience. No rules, just trying stuff out. If we'd gone to a competition together (we never did), we'd have played by those rules.

Indeed. I tend to forget sometimes about rules, and expect more if see what I mean. Hence my confusion while wacthing the vid. Probably having the sound on my iPad would have helped.

We used to do a bit wrestling and grappling and the first to get up ended or dropped to the floor won. Was a lot of fun :D

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never knew they made more cash off the demo/exhibition fight than the PKA stuff.... man, that's depressing.

Latest Discussions