Joe LewisÂ’ Top 10 Martial Arts for Self-Defense

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Joe LewisÂ’ Top 10 Martial Arts for Self-Defense - From Black Belt Magazine

This list is in no particular order. I could have put krav maga, haganah and others in there, but when I got to 10, I stopped. This list will piss off many instructors, but they have to realize, for example, that with a system like kyokushinkai, which came from goju-ryu and has many descendants like asahara, enshin, yoshukai and zendokai, they were not left out. Krav maga, for example, has nothing that the Okinawan, Japanese and kickboxing systems do not. If I were to include all of them, the list would go into the hundreds.

Kyokushinkai Karate
Outlaw Tai Chi
Bando
Kajukenbo
Chinese Kenpo
Okinawa-Te
Judo
Aikijutsu
Kickboxing
Boxing

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't see Ameri-do-te on this list. Therefor it is bull****.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Combat Hula...PFHHT.....that PALES in comparison to the deadly art of Military Combat Macramé
I really feel that Martial Origami should not be ignored. Those little paper cuts can be quite painful.
:asian:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue, it's a sad day when you can post a list like this and not get a lot of outrage from people like me whose personal MA weren't on the list. No, I'm not talking WC/VT/WT of Eskrima (see my signature), I'm talking the deadliest art of all, MF (martial farts)!

Here's a clip of TMF (Traditional Martial Farts).

Now here's the contemporary tactical version. Warning: This demo includes the "shart" -- Not for the faint of heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, it's a sad day when you can post a list like this and not get a lot of outrage from people like me whose personal MA weren't on the list. No, I'm not talking WC/VT/WT of Eskrima (see my signature), I'm talking the deadliest art of all, MF (martial farts)!

Here's a clip of TMF (Traditional Martial Farts).

Now here's the contemporary tactical version. Warning: This demo includes the "shart" -- Not for the faint of heart:

Just between you and me ;) I will admit there is a style that I fear, that I once saw demonstrated outside of a college rathskeller one night many, many years ago....projectile-jitsu

I was parked out behind the college student union one night when these two mighty combatants staggered out yelling obscenities at one another. The squared off and mighty combatant 1 launched a single punch and might combatant 2s stomach. Combatant 1 was entirely unaware of combatant two's mastery of projectile-jitsu...which he demonstrated all over combatant one after being hit in the stomach....the battle was over...but to be honest...I am not really sure who won

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what is "outlaw tai chi"? anybody?

the list has no integrity. it doesn't even mention the Viking Berzerker fighting arts under Supreme Grandmaster Sven S. Svennson, and its use of maximum violence. But hey, I wouldn't expect Joe Lewis to know anything about the good stuff.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm channeling Master ken today to be certain...

This list... is ********.

You doubt my Crazy Killer Kung Fu Fluffy Bunny style :mst:

Enough talk..lets fight :D

Po_Kung_Fu_Panda_by_E_Mann.jpg

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Outlaw Tai Chi !!! Lessons available only in special self protection boutiques in selected geographic locales. Valet parking, special kung fu tea served prior, foot massage by cute asian girls after, must have credit card available for initial six month revolving charge, special dit da jow formula, made from herbs grown on the east side of wudang mountain is available, priced separately. includes chi gung that induces transcendental consciousness. Further courses induce cosmic, god and unity consciousness. Each priced separately. Join Today!

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To get serious for a second, my best guess is that this "combat taichi" is probably part of the Earl Montaigue system. Earl presented it as that. Maybe that is it. My best guess.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
what is "outlaw tai chi"? anybody?

the list has no integrity. it doesn't even mention the Viking Berzerker fighting arts under Supreme Grandmaster Sven S. Svennson, and its use of maximum violence. But hey, I wouldn't expect Joe Lewis to know anything about the good stuff.

He obviously knows nothing....or he would have only had one style on his list........Xuefu :mst:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To get serious for a second, my best guess is that this "combat taichi" is probably part of the Earl Montaigue system. Earl presented it as that. Maybe that is it. My best guess.

but it did't say "combat", it said "outlaw"

Latest Discussions