Jobloss over 'Pretty Soldier'

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/art...n-second-suspended-over-pretty-soldiers-email

The staffing changes come after both colonels became embroiled in a controversy over an email Arnhart sent to Kubik saying that “pretty women are perceived as having used their looks to get ahead” and “ugly women are perceived as competent.”

It's not as if that is a new concept. Even women with 'ugly' names are considered more competent than their counter parts with 'sexy' names. So you might never find an Ethel Trump, but Ethel Smith might run the office...

I am not quiet getting the tempest in the teacup here.
Two people in charge of studying and promoting gender equality have to find different jobs now for discussing the thing that has been obvious for hundreds of years now...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the part that a little strange is the one Col. was a female in charge of doing a study on integrating woman into combat. So wouldnt it be part of her job to discuss different aspects of perceptions about woman soldiers?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it is, but it does not mean it's not a sad state of affairs that the pretty face on a gal implies she didn't earn her merits.

Not to mention that women are their peers worst critics!
We are a superficial society.

But somewhere - and I am blaming the writing, as usual - something got lost in translation. I don't see where there is grounds for resignation or dismissal over an internal correspondence.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two people in charge of studying and promoting gender equality have to find different jobs now for discussing the thing that has been obvious for hundreds of years now...

Actually you appear to have summarized American gender politics as it intersects with political correctness very concisely. And you thought you didn't get it.:hammer:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the part that a little strange is the one Col. was a female in charge of doing a study on integrating woman into combat. So wouldnt it be part of her job to discuss different aspects of perceptions about woman soldiers?

That isn't strange, Ballen. Women HATE women.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually you appear to have summarized American gender politics as it intersects with political correctness very concisely. And you thought you didn't get it.:hammer:

No, I don't get the uproar over it.
It's a given. It happens, but you should not lose a job talking about it, calling the baby by it's name.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't get the uproar over it.
It's a given. It happens, but you should not lose a job talking about it, calling the baby by it's name.

I was indulging in a little sarcasm. But, I agree with you. It shouldn't happen.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I have been out of the military too long. But I saw leaders relieved, transferred with bad efficiency reports, given a choice to resign or face court-martial, all kinds of things.

But can somebody enlighten me what it means when a soldier/leader is suspended?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it is, but it does not mean it's not a sad state of affairs that the pretty face on a gal implies she didn't earn her merits.

Not to mention that women are their peers worst critics!
We are a superficial society.

But somewhere - and I am blaming the writing, as usual - something got lost in translation. I don't see where there is grounds for resignation or dismissal over an internal correspondence.

A sad state of affairs, but as you said, too often the case. Sadder that probably more often, it is the excuse given by someone disgruntled that a female may have gotten a position or promotion over a 'more deserving' male.

I do think there may be a problem with the writing, or taking it out of context, and it might not be such a controversy if it had in fact remained an internal correspondence. But it doesn't really look like it was ever intended to be.

Isn't it ironic that a woman who apparently was trying to make a controversial point about women, is being replaced for doing it?