Job Hunting Frustration

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Persistence does pay off, don't give up. Things will happen for you.
icon7.gif

I got a job. :) I start Monday 10/18 working for JP Morgan Chase in one of their call centers.
Fantastic, good on ya!!!!
icon7.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats I am still on the hunt, my problem is being ateacher so long Ireally do not have the skill set some of these companys are looking for. Been on eight interviews and nothing except a sale job with only commission as a pay no draw or anything and I cannot afford to be running all over town hoping to land clients right now. I will keep looking and hoping for the best.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a job. :)

That's great! and I was just about to give you the secrect that would gaurantee you a job in a week!
icon10.gif

Okay, seriously. Living in a city that has the highest unemployment rate in the state, which in turn has the highest unemployment rate in the country, I feel your pain. So...

GOOD FOR YOU!
icon14.gif

Not to put Jade Tigress on the spot, but there's a ton of really valuable information here and it may not hurt to sticky it. At least for a time. Successful job hunting has gotten to be an extremely competitive art in its own right and will remain so for the forseeable future.

Just a thought.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
As already stated, one of the most common mistakes made by people in your position is that they appear over qualified or their Resumes and cover letters aren't targeted enough to the job in question.

Remember, managers are always looking for people who are manageable and will easily fit in and make their lives easier so state how you can do this and how you can be of value to them in your cover letter.

Writing that you have owned a store when applying for an assistant manager position for instance can be intimidating to a manager or owner.
They might feel that you won't want to take orders and might try to take over or tell them you can do better or their biggest fear that you can take their job away from them.
Simply state in your cover letter everything you wanted to hear from a potential assistant when you were in charge, above all let them know that you are trustworthy and feel that establishing a strong working rapport with them is important to you. That you have integrity and that it's important to you to assist the manager in achieving the sales targets as well as assist in running the store.

Keep your chin up and remember everything happens for a reason, so stay focused and you'll land the right job.

And for what it's worth if I could, I'd hire you. :wink2:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations!
So what did you do differently to land it??
Oh and had i known you were looking specifically for a Morgan........:angel:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone! I'm very relieved to have found something. :)

Congrats I am still on the hunt, my problem is being ateacher so long Ireally do not have the skill set some of these companys are looking for. Been on eight interviews and nothing except a sale job with only commission as a pay no draw or anything and I cannot afford to be running all over town hoping to land clients right now. I will keep looking and hoping for the best.

I'm sorry Terry. Hang in there, something will turn up eventually. I know it's extremely frustrating in the meantime. :(

Congratulations!
So what did you do differently to land it??
Oh and had i known you were looking specifically for a Morgan........:angel:

LOL! Thanks Ken. :p

I didn't do anything differently.

I applied online, and attached my resume, just as I've had to with everything else. I had to take a lengthy online assessment, which I've had to do with a few others. With the online assessments I've always "passed", ie: met the requirements for the position. They send an email stating so. But with this one I got a call back the next day, had a phone interview, then a scheduled face to face interview for the following day. Two hours after the face to face interview I got a call from HR and was offered the job.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Way to go Pam, see it wasn't THAT bad... (ducks). Terry... your turn... keep on keeping on.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts when I made my previous post, well, congrats!
Perseverance is the key to success.

You'll do great.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a chat recently with both my son and my nephew about work. I got in on them about work ethic and going to work to work, not socialize for pay. I've seen that as a problem with teens in pretty much every job I've worked. A suggestion for those on the hunt is to emphasize that you take pride in your work, are there to do the job and give the employer a great return on their investment. One stint a while back I was upfront with the company about my owning my own business and they did express reservations. I told them directly that my owning my own business gave me a better understanding and appreciation for their positions, and that as an employee of theirs I'd give them my best effort in my work to help ease theirs. They expressed concern that being a computer geek I'd be bored. I told them that computer stuff was high stress, but that I was looking forward to getting out more, the challenge of learning new things, and not having the stress of worrying about payroll and invoices. They took a chance, and the whole time I was there I gave them my best, regardless if it involved mopping a floor, cleaning a grease trap or plunging a toilet. Things were clean, maintained, and groovy. :)

So, you can get over that 'over qualified' hump, just have to speak the right words and show the right attitude. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well done JT!!! I absolutely knew you would do it no doubt!!!

Please take care,
Janna xo

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a chat recently with both my son and my nephew about work. I got in on them about work ethic and going to work to work, not socialize for pay. I've seen that as a problem with teens in pretty much every job I've worked. A suggestion for those on the hunt is to emphasize that you take pride in your work, are there to do the job and give the employer a great return on their investment. One stint a while back I was upfront with the company about my owning my own business and they did express reservations. I told them directly that my owning my own business gave me a better understanding and appreciation for their positions, and that as an employee of theirs I'd give them my best effort in my work to help ease theirs. They expressed concern that being a computer geek I'd be bored. I told them that computer stuff was high stress, but that I was looking forward to getting out more, the challenge of learning new things, and not having the stress of worrying about payroll and invoices. They took a chance, and the whole time I was there I gave them my best, regardless if it involved mopping a floor, cleaning a grease trap or plunging a toilet. Things were clean, maintained, and groovy. :)

So, you can get over that 'over qualified' hump, just have to speak the right words and show the right attitude. :)

Excellent responses Bob. :asian:

Although you were were "real world" professional, when thinking about over-qualifications I'm frequently reminded of the scene in American Beauty where Kevin Spacey's character, "Lester", applies for a job at a fast food place after losing an office job after 20 years. LOL!

[yt]AjZJqh4IX7w[/yt]

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't give up. Use your MA trainjng to benefit you here. This is a challenge, no different than a test you need help preparing for.

I've been looking for 4 months now. Yesterday I had what I believed to be a second interview at a restaurant, but it turned out that my application, resume and managers notes had been somehow shuffled into a pile of new applications and the manager picking applicants didn't notice the paperclip holding the notes to my app. So I guess the optimistic approach to $12 in wasted gas money is that my application stood out twice and maybe they can't afford me?? Now the manager seems to feel indebted to me for "wasting" my time as well.

It gets better. Adapt and improvise. Use minimum wage jobs as stepping stones. The currently employed always get first dibs on job openings. If you need help building a resume or tailoring one to be appropriate for the opening, message me. That's my strong point. (My weak point is that I've almost always made $13/hr plus and build my life and family around that.)

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just need to vent.

I have been looking for a job for about 6 weeks now (I know, not long compared to some) and have sent out 80 resumes with not a single call back! I am applying for everything I am qualified for within a 25 mile radius of my home. Many I have been highly qualified for.

Everything is done online now, I've gone through the local paper, craigslist, monster, hotjobs, and temp agencies. Nothing, nada, zip. How the hell does anyone find a job these days? I'm not picky! I'll do anything. Part-time, full-time, temp, anything!

I've applied for retail positions and have OWNED a retail store! Can't get a call back for an asst. mgr. position at the mall. I have vast customer service experience. Saw one looking for a CSR with horse experience. Let's see, customer service experience, check, owned a horse, check, owned a tack shop, check. Submitted my resume with cover letter twice! No call back. :(

In addition to my rant, does anyone have any advice? I know times are tough and many people are looking for work, but there has to be something I can do to get my foot in the door somewhere.
Try fast food or construction.
Both industries are always actually screaming for employees
Construction is paid workout

Latest Discussions