Jkd instructor

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training forms w/o applying it in trying to knock someone out for real in the ring or cage or even during hard sparring.
What? This is borderline incoherent. Competition is no pinnacle. It is just an activity. Do it if you enjoy it and find it interesting, don’t if you don’t.

You don’t have any experience with or understanding of kata, do you? Another honest question there.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course I can, anybody can. It is simply a choice that one makes and then puts in the hard work to learn the skills appropriate for a certain competition venue.

Do I do it? I would have thought my posting here would have made it clear that I do not. I made that decision because it holds no interest for me. I don’t train to compete in that kind of venue, and would not expect to be successful if I stepped into an MMA ring tomorrow. Is there anything surprising about that?

MMA type competition is a niche interest in a wide ocean of martial arts. It isn’t any kind of pinnacle. It is one of many paths that anybody can choose to follow, in their martial journey.
Very well said.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you're not mad, but I can sense the same repetitive cycle I've had 10,000 times. That's what I meant by "exhausting".

He didn't ask you either. He demanded it. That's a telling sign. When the whole argument is "but UFC", and I've hearing that for 30 years even while learning the grand mysteries of kung fu, my first thought is he's young and just doesn't understand. Or maybe he's old and stubborn and can't train anymore, so he sits on his butt drinking beer and watching UFC and wants to pick on people. Who knows?

Hopefully he'll tell me all the places where I'm wrong and then I'll get to post more of the awesome kung fu in movies like Big Trouble, and somehow try to keep tying it back to The Way of the Intercepting Fist.

Rain, Peter Kwong is a Northern Shaolin and Tai Chi Chuan master.

View attachment 28098

View attachment 28100

Which is why he still kicking it at 70, and looks marvelous.

View attachment 28099
I would rather discuss than argue, he seems interested in discussion so…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'd believe that more if this wasn't a thread about Jeet Kune Do, which has no forms, but we're having that old "kata vs. MMA" and "Bruce Lee was only human" chats. Again. And again. And again.

Must be Wednesday!
I won’t continue past where I left it. My apologies.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won’t continue past where I left it. My apologies.
I didn't mean you, sorry. I meant the intention of the other dude. If there's one other than hounding JKD students I'm all ears. I'm just well prepared to deal with the other possibilities. Hell man, I defend Wing Chun too. That took a lot of study to be able to pull off.

Keep posting, don't mind me, ever.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't mean you, sorry. I meant the intention of the other dude. If there's one other than hounding JKD students I'm all ears. I'm just well prepared to deal with the other possibilities.

Keep posting, don't mind me, ever.
No. It applies to me as well. I have engaged in that nonsense argument too many times. I appreciate the reel in. Thank you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Wu Dip Jeurng?

It's pretty easy to learn
I have yet to apply this one. Probably easy to learn the motion, but not sure the application. I haven't been happy with the application as it was taught to me. Then again it could be that I don't understand it yet as shown in the form

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have yet to apply this one. Probably easy to learn the motion, but not sure the application. I haven't been happy with the application as it was taught to me. Then again it could be that I don't understand it yet as shown in the form
It's super simple. It's a break and bump strike, using a circular pattern and body weight. Somebody grabs you close, you pull back hard and immediately double palm push, using a spring motion forward. It's not that different than the natural way you'd push someone off of you, but training it improves that.

I know a great pummeling drill for 2 people using Wu Dip. I'll try to find a video of it online.

It's not in JKD, because Bruce Lee viewed this sort of stored movement unnecessary. I disagree.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Should have taken that
It's super simple. It's a break and bump strike, using a circular pattern and body weight. Somebody grabs you close, you pull back hard and immediately double palm push, using a spring motion forward. It's not that different than the natural way you'd push someone off of you, but training it improves that.

I know a great pummeling drill for 2 people using Wu Dip. I'll try to find a video of it online.

It's not in JKD, because Bruce Lee viewed this sort of stored movement unnecessary. I disagree.
I'll have to try it in that context.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Should have taken that

I'll have to try it in that context.
It's easy to do on the heavy bag too. Maybe I can draw another bad picture but I'll give it a shot.

I always find it funny this particular technique (Chinese origin) became one of the most recognizable Japanese video game fighter attacks. The Butterfly Palms...

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's easy to do on the heavy bag too. Maybe I can draw another bad picture but I'll give it a shot.

I always find it funny this particular technique (Chinese origin) became one of the most recognizable Japanese video game fighter attacks.
Here, and I thought you could do an actual fireball…:)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
people have to wear gloves, this favors a grappling art over a striking art,
I'm not going to argue with your post as a whole, but this particular snippet is incorrect. MMA gloves allow strikers to punch harder without breaking their hands and don't do much to protect the person being punched from a concussion. (Back in the bare-knuckle days of MMA, broken hands were much more common and knockouts were less common.) Those gloves also make certain grappling techniques (specifically chokes) more difficult to execute.

MMA has evolved a lot over the last three decades, both through the training of the fighters and updates to the competition rules. Right now I'd say that the rules have been tweaked to give a slight advantage to striking, although grappling is still necessary and important. (I suspect this is a deliberate goal of the rule tweaks in question, because more paying fans are excited to see punches flying than to see two guys in a clinch or on the ground making tiny technical adjustments to their position for extended periods of time.)

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
What? This is borderline incoherent.

Because you chose to pretend to not know the context; unless you want me to repeat everything on every post.

Competition is no pinnacle. It is just an activity. Do it if you enjoy it and find it interesting, don’t if you don’t.

You don't understand the context, which is, can you do it?

You don’t have any experience with or understanding of kata, do you? Another honest question there.

Unfortunately, you're wrong, b/c also unfortunately, I do have experience with having to learn kata.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course I can, anybody can. It is simply a choice that one makes and then puts in the hard work to learn the skills appropriate for a certain competition venue.

Do I do it? I would have thought my posting here would have made it clear that I do not. I made that decision because it holds no interest for me. I don’t train to compete in that kind of venue, and would not expect to be successful if I stepped into an MMA ring tomorrow. Is there anything surprising about that?

MMA type competition is a niche interest in a wide ocean of martial arts. It isn’t any kind of pinnacle. It is one of many paths that anybody can choose to follow, in their martial journey.

Why don't you want to?

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you think all CMA is the same. It’s not.

Not at all. There are Sanda fighters coming from CMA background; they also add in BJJ, Wrestling, etc. for MMA.

My comment was meant to prove why training as a Fighter, is the highest level of MA training.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with your post as a whole, but this particular snippet is incorrect. MMA gloves allow strikers to punch harder without breaking their hands and don't do much to protect the person being punched from a concussion. (Back in the bare-knuckle days of MMA, broken hands were much more common and knockouts were less common.) Those gloves also make certain grappling techniques (specifically chokes) more difficult to execute.

MMA has evolved a lot over the last three decades, both through the training of the fighters and updates to the competition rules. Right now I'd say that the rules have been tweaked to give a slight advantage to striking, although grappling is still necessary and important. (I suspect this is a deliberate goal of the rule tweaks in question, because more paying fans are excited to see punches flying than to see two guys in a clinch or on the ground making tiny technical adjustments to their position for extended periods of time.)
I have not used those mma gloves, only boxing gloves, so I appreciate the correction here. Thank you. I remember all the messy fights of early mma and ufc. Broken bones, mismatched fights, gi vs no gi, etc.

Latest Discussions