Jkd instructor

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What can the average, ie. Kung-Fu forms world champion guy (who can't really fight well)
Serious question: how do you know he can’t fight well?

do, that a UFC champion of his weight class wouldn't be able to, if he really wanted to.

Serious question: why would it matter if there is nothing he can do, that a UFC champion couldn’t also do? All that means is that there are different paths to a similar result. It does not make one better than the other. There is no “ultimate” in martial arts. There is only different ways, that appeal to different people.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Serious question: how do you know he can’t fight well?

Yea sure, kata people are killers.

Serious question: why would it matter if there is nothing he can do, that a UFC champion couldn’t also do? All that means is that there are different paths to a similar result. It does not make one better than the other. There is no “ultimate” in martial arts. There is only different ways, that appeal to different people.

It's still a higher level level of training, as you can't do it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ll let my previous comments stand, because they are on the mark and this response was an absolute non-answer.

However, I do have some honest questions here:
Yea sure, kata people are killers.

So, what exactly is a “kata guy”? How do you define that?
And to be clear, I never accused anybody of being a killer.

It's still a higher level level of training, as you can't do it.

I can’t do what?

Again, these are serious questions.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
UFC 1 dispelled just about all of the above; esp. when it paid out $50,000 for 1 night of fight & in 1993 money. That's a lot more than what most World Kickboxing title fight paid. Glory KB doesn't even pay that much, today. I doubt that Champions like Don Wilson, Benny the Jet, etc. ever made that much in 1 night.

And most of those dudes that Xu Xiadong fought, came to him. It was prob. a big payday for them to get clobbered by Xu. Look at the stage, crowd, production, etc. Someone was bank rolling those freak shows. No way were some of those Kung-Fu grandpas that delusional.
I think you need to read more Xu Xiadong so you can better understand why he's trying to save kung fu, and China as a whole.

He's not the first, he won't be the last, and UFC didn't really solve anything. UFC doesn't mean much at all.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ll let my previous comments stand, because they are on the mark and this response was an absolute non-answer.

However, I do have some honest questions here:

So, what exactly is a “kata guy”? How do you define that?
And to be clear, I never accused anybody of being a killer.

I can’t do what?

Again, these are serious questions.

Training forms w/o applying it in trying to knock someone out for real in the ring or cage or even during hard sparring.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you need to read more Xu Xiadong so you can better understand why he's trying to save kung fu, and China as a whole.

I think you don't know what I've read about Xu Xiadong.

He's not the first, he won't be the last, and UFC didn't really solve anything. UFC doesn't mean much at all.

Yea, I bet the UFC is nothing compared to renting out a high school gym on a Saturday to do forms competition for plastic trophies.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I did see one Tai chi fella get his clock cleaned. That said, I would take that swatting for 10 k and I don’t even live a hard life in China, or otherwise in a relative sense.

Are you Chinese? Is CMA even popular much at all with the youth, there? I heard that there are more TKD schools, true?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yea, I bet the UFC is nothing compared to renting out a high school gym on a Saturday to do forms competition for plastic trophies.
Ok. So you aware the Xiaodong loves kung fu, and sacrificed his future and wealth for Chinese martial arts and love of country, only to be gang stabbed Caesar style by his own people. Great! We are on the level.

But you started with UFC "dispelled all of the above". I disagree it dispelled very little. Put another way, it surprised no one, really. It definitely makes money, though. What did you mean specifically? I mean, if you're referring just to Chinese arts, organized (and ad hoc) full contact fighting has been a thing in that country for about as long as recorded history.

And how does that tie into Jeet Kune Do? That was created by an American.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The previous vid? You mean you mean the one from Big Trouble in Little China?? As much as I love that silly movie, it is a very silly movie. I sincerely hope nobody looks to that movie for guidance on what is authentic kung fu.
It's awesome silly, but there are several authentic kung fu peeps in that movie. The stuntwork was off the charts.

Dan Inosanto is one of the Wing Kong, dude.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for asking, so I will answer you.

I'm by no means, a high level competitor or anything; just basically a nobody, MA hobbyist like most people in here (no matter how important I try to sound to be).

And I'm not implying that anyone's chosen path in the Martial Arts is invalid; just that, training in combat sports is the highest level; with being a UFC Champion the highest, based on this question:

What can the average, ie. Kung-Fu forms world champion guy (who can't really fight well) do, that a UFC champion of his weight class wouldn't be able to, if he really wanted to.

Now if you turn that question around, this all kata guy (even if he sets his mind & soul to it to train for the UFC), is probably going to get demolished at the level, anywhere close to the UFC. Maybe even in the low Amateur stages of 1-5 fights.

Change my mind.
Ok, so there are some assumptions here, so let me speak to that first. There are quite literally hundreds of styles of “ Kung fu”. They vary widely in form and age. Some are focused on technique, some on historical traditional training, some on health and spiritual development, and still others that are based on pure fighting skill and conditioning. Many are a mix of these differing qualities. I cannot speak to every different “Kung fu” because there are so many, there is no way one person can experience them all. My particular martial art has elements of western boxing ( jabs, hooks, etc.) it also has throws, sweeps, takedowns etc. We don’t do competition. We focus on balance, posture, coordination, and conditioning. We have several forms, or kata as you refer to them. We don’t teach any forms to people until after two years of regular consistent training. When we spar that is also after two years of consistent training. Sparring for us was a mouth guard, a cup, and bag gloves. Then we go 2 vs 1 with no rules For 1 minute rounds. I can tell you that there has been blood, and broken bones. I have had 2 breaks myself. I don’t fight on the street, but I have. I don’t recommend that as a training technique. It takes a very long time to become very skilled at what we do. It’s not fancy, it’s difficult, we don’t award rank, we don’t teach children, we don’t do demonstrations, we don’t wear any snazzy uniform or gear, or belts. You won’t get a trophy. My Sigung ( teachers teacher) would smack me for not listening to instructions, sometimes with a stick. My Sifu would pick up people by their head and kicked me in the tail for an improper horse stance. The main difference in “Kung fu“ styles has more to do with the teaching style than technique. That’s the main thing, because it isn’t tailored to a business model, it’s tailored to getting results from the students that can do it. Not everyone can train like this, not everyone wants to. I think it’s important to distinguish this. Everyone trains for their own reasons. We neither encourage nor discourage what individuals want to do with competition. We have had two students that entered MMA competition and both did quite well. Training and teaching style is what makes a decent fighter into a highly skilled one. Some things cannot be taught, which is part of why not just anyone can succeed. UFC has brought a lot of attention to martial arts as a whole, it has shown what works well and what doesn’t in its own show. UFC has also changed a lot since it began. Each of the main MMA formats have their own distinct formulation of rules and requirements. It is important to remember a few things when comparing fighters in a ring situation. First, that floor is bouncy, and people have to wear gloves, this favors a grappling art over a striking art, and almost makes a throwing art obsolete. Second, there are rules about what techniques can be used, for example, no small joint manipulations are allowed, neither are elbow strikes to the back of the head/neck. These are for obvious reasons. Third, there are no old UFC fighters that are still competitive past age 45 or so. It’s true that these MMA guys at the top of the chain are skilled and tough. It’s true that anyone planning to fight MMA needs grappling skills as well as striking skills to stay competitive. So where did they get those skills? Most learn BJJ for grappling but some are wrestlers. Many learned kickboxing, boxing, and or some TMA for striking. By and large, almost all of them trained in some type of TMA at some point. By my estimation, BJJ is TMA, and so is Boxing. The distinction here is that MMA is just that, a mix. Each person puts together skills from several martial arts and pits that recipe against another person. The people changed over the decades and so have the rules and recipes that work in that specific framework. In the end, an arm bar is an arm bar and a punch is still a punch. The framework of rules is where the difference is. The teaching style, and the individual that is training is what makes the fighter. UFC does not create fighters, it promotes them. Teachers and coaches and hard work create fighters. Broad statements that generalize “combat sports” as being the reason for a fighter‘s individual success don’t jive with the fact that no one person has trained with every coach or in every martial art. It’s the man, that unique individual that ends up with a recipe that works for him. I may not have changed your mind, but hopefully that explains my point of view.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ok I don’t own a single trophy and I have been training in martial arts of one type or another for most of my fifty years, and 25 years in Wing Woo Gar.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you think all CMA is the same. It’s not.
It's the Western dualistic way. West beats East. Easterners didn't know real fighting until the Europeans gave it to them, etc.

But it's not limited to him, it's an unfortunate side effect of the culture wars. It can be exhausting to discuss martial arts with such people, but give him a chance, and give yourself a nice deep breath.

Listen, Carter Wong was Thunder in Big Trouble. He also taught cops at the Royal Hong Kong PD. He does forms in Big Trouble. Is he a kata, can't fight kind of guy?

Dan Inosanto, JKD uber guru, is the guy on the right with the hatchet. He's probably one of the most dangerous men on the planet, if you believe JKD (which I do).

1645644664843.png

1645644591057.png

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you Chinese? Is CMA even popular much at all with the youth, there? I heard that there are more TKD schools, true?
I’m not Chinese, I live in Northern California. I don’t have a clue what is or isn’t popular in China. CMA isn’t popular anywhere. TKD and BJJ and Muay Thai are what is popularized currently. It’s the most accessible stuff, so it’s what most people find when they go looking to train. CMA can take a very long time to get skilled. BJJ and Muay Thai basics are easy to learn in a fairly short time. That means that for a person interested in ring fighting your shelf life is very short and you need to get grappling and striking skills as quickly as possible because you won’t have ten years to train before your fighting career starts. Like I said before there isn’t any middle aged or geriatric UFC. You have a very limited time to get skills and start fighting. If you want to be successful you must start young and focus your whole existence on that. What will you be able to do with it when you are 50 and have a host of injuries? It’s a long life…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the Western dualistic way. West beats East. Easterners didn't know real fighting until the Europeans gave it to them, etc.

But it's not limited to him, it's an unfortunate side effect of the culture wars. It can be exhausting to discuss martial arts with such people, but give him a chance, and give yourself a nice deep breath.

Listen, Carter Wong was Thunder in Big Trouble. He also taught cops at the Royal Hong Kong PD. He does forms in Big Trouble. Is he a kata, can't fight kind of guy?

Dan Inosanto, JKD uber guru, is the guy on the right with the hatchet. He's probably one of the most dangerous men on the planet, if you believe JKD (which I do).

View attachment 28097

View attachment 28096
I’m not mad, just trying to explain. He asked me to change his mind. Doing my best to give some information without being a jerk about it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m not mad, just trying to explain. He asked me to change his mind. Doing my best to give some information without being a jerk about it.
I know you're not mad, but I can sense the same repetitive cycle I've had 10,000 times. That's what I meant by "exhausting".

He didn't ask you either. He demanded it. That's a telling sign. When the whole argument is "but UFC", and I've hearing that for 30 years even while learning the grand mysteries of kung fu, my first thought is he's young and just doesn't understand. Or maybe he's old and stubborn and can't train anymore, so he sits on his butt drinking beer and watching UFC and wants to pick on people. Who knows?

Hopefully he'll tell me all the places where I'm wrong and then I'll get to post more of the awesome kung fu in movies like Big Trouble, and somehow try to keep tying it back to The Way of the Intercepting Fist.

Rain, Peter Kwong is a Northern Shaolin and Tai Chi Chuan master.

1645645457552.png

1645645655545.png

Which is why he still kicking it at 70, and looks marvelous.

1645645566898.png

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes.

Can you do it then? Train and fight, MMA?
Of course I can, anybody can. It is simply a choice that one makes and then puts in the hard work to learn the skills appropriate for a certain competition venue.

Do I do it? I would have thought my posting here would have made it clear that I do not. I made that decision because it holds no interest for me. I don’t train to compete in that kind of venue, and would not expect to be successful if I stepped into an MMA ring tomorrow. Is there anything surprising about that?

MMA type competition is a niche interest in a wide ocean of martial arts. It isn’t any kind of pinnacle. It is one of many paths that anybody can choose to follow, in their martial journey.

Latest Discussions