Jkd instructor

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No hocus pocus there. He looks pretty good at the form. That is not a haduken fireball though.
I can’t tell if he is good at the form or not, because it cut off his feet and, in most of the form, his entire lower body. I couldn’t adequately tell if he has connection with his stance and root, or not. The way he moves makes me suspect that he may be disconnected. Which would mean that he isn’t very good at all. But I can’t tell for certain, from that video.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can’t tell if he is good at the form or not, because it cut off his feet and, in most of the form, his entire lower body. I couldn’t adequately tell if he has connection with his stance and root, or not. The way he moves makes me suspect that he may be disconnected. Which would mean that he isn’t very good at all. But I can’t tell for certain, from that video.
I got dancer vibes but the choreography looked ok and he wasn’t gasping. In any case it was better than the previous vid.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kung fu grandpas that came to meet Xu’s challenge.

Ok, you read it wrong; the $50k was for UFC-1.

The Kung-Fu grandpas getting paid by a 3rd party was just speculation on my part. And the beating wasn't even that bad, as I recalled. Xu generally took it easy on them; even at US$10k equivalent, that's well worth it for someone living a hard life in China.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got dancer vibes but the choreography looked ok and he wasn’t gasping. In any case it was better than the previous vid.
The previous vid? You mean you mean the one from Big Trouble in Little China?? As much as I love that silly movie, it is a very silly movie. I sincerely hope nobody looks to that movie for guidance on what is authentic kung fu.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you said Bruce was a bully who made his name challenging all those Kung fu people who were also selling their hocus pocus. I agree with you, that Bruce was a hot head, loud mouthed peacock. I agree with you that there are plenty of phony CMA people. I just asked what your estimation of CMA was. ( oh I hate this thrice damned spell check!)

My estimation would be, it depends on what you want in a martial art.

For combat sports, the highest form of martial arts training, then CMA is not the wise path; neither the most efficient nor the most effective.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, you read it wrong; the $50k was for UFC-1.

The Kung-Fu grandpas getting paid by a 3rd party was just speculation on my part. And the beating wasn't even that bad, as I recalled. Xu generally took it easy on them; even at US$10k equivalent, that's well worth it for someone living a hard life in China.
Ok. I did see one Tai chi fella get his clock cleaned. That said, I would take that swatting for 10 k and I don’t even live a hard life in China, or otherwise in a relative sense.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's wrong.
Well, please elaborate. Without knowing a single thing of your background, how can we know how to discuss with you. If you make a generalized statement regarding a large number of people, you may expect some argument regardless of your intent or the merit of your statement.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your experience? What do you base this on?

Thank you for asking, so I will answer you.

I'm by no means, a high level competitor or anything; just basically a nobody, MA hobbyist like most people in here (no matter how important I try to sound to be).

And I'm not implying that anyone's chosen path in the Martial Arts is invalid; just that, training in combat sports is the highest level; with being a UFC Champion the highest, based on this question:

What can the average, ie. Kung-Fu forms world champion guy (who can't really fight well) do, that a UFC champion of his weight class wouldn't be able to, if he really wanted to.

Now if you turn that question around, this all kata guy (even if he sets his mind & soul to it to train for the UFC), is probably going to get demolished at the level, anywhere close to the UFC. Maybe even in the low Amateur stages of 1-5 fights.

Change my mind.