Jkd instructor

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you own a business of any kind let me know what you do for advertising

So I have owned and run a small martial arts club for 12 years now, it isn't designed to make a living off of, so saying it is a "business is a stretch." That said I have active social media (Facebook, Instagram, youtube) and a decent website. I have done my SEO enough that club pops up when you search for martial arts in my area. I am listed on Google and Dojo.com for I teach a pretty niche martial art and I only teach adults. And I am networked into the local martial arts scene that if someone is looking for what I offer I will get a person sent my way, just like I will funnel references to those other instructors. The point is that you need to present what you do and what you offer to the public if you want them to take the trouble to contact you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I have owned and run a small martial arts club for 12 years now, it isn't designed to make a living off of, so saying it is a "business is a stretch." That said I have active social media (Facebook, Instagram, youtube) and a decent website. I have done my SEO enough that club pops up when you search for martial arts in my area. I am listed on Google and Dojo.com for I teach a pretty niche martial art and I only teach adults. And I am networked into the local martial arts scene that if someone is looking for what I offer I will get a person sent my way, just like I will funnel references to those other instructors. The point is that you need to present what you do and what you offer to the public if you want them to take the trouble to contact you.
All of this. There's no easy way. No single thing to do. Either learn a little about online marketing or have someone who knows do it for him. A website is a must. Most people who are looking for something will do a Google search first. Definitely can't be afraid to talk about one's skill level

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do what Bruce Lee used to do to get students:

1) go to Kung-Fu schools to challenge their masters to fights
2) post flyers challenging other martial artists to NHB fights

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do what Bruce Lee used to do to get students:

1) go to Kung-Fu schools to challenge their masters to fights
2) post flyers challenging other martial artists to NHB fights
The Dragon movie put this out there. No, don't. Don't get me wrong, I love that movie on multiple levels, but the whole back breaking thing in front of the forum of Chinese elders to create JKD while in traction was goofy, even with the epic Hung Kuen representation.

Challenging other schools to fight should never be the answer. Even in the 1960/70s, but especially today.

In my head, Jet Li has played this trope many times. Huo Yuanjia in Fearless most of all. "Kung fu challenge, don't do it".

Huo Yuanjia.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are four ways of making a decision about whether or not I will study with an instructor, the first and weakest is "Sensei Bob said Super Saiyan 4 is badass so I should study with him." The second is "SS4 studied with Grandmaster Steve and Grandmaster Steve is a badass." The third is watching SS4 in person or in video and thinking "that dude is a badass and I want to be like him." The fourth is watching your students and thinking "SS4's students are badass and I want to be like them." Your advertising so far has given out so little information than none of these four options work. Work on your advertising.
I think the fourth one is the most informative.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yes there is. Practically all of Kung Fu cinema is all about your style getting too famous, and then wham, come the ninjas.

The best and wisest masters of style in any art, are usually obscure. Fame is a poison for the mind, and it brings a thousand enemies.
LMAO! “ wham, come the ninjas”

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Dragon movie put this out there. No, don't. Don't get me wrong, I love that movie on multiple levels, but the whole back breaking thing in front of the forum of Chinese elders to create JKD while in traction was goofy, even with the epic Hung Kuen representation.

Challenging other schools to fight should never be the answer. Even in the 1960/70s, but especially today.

In my head, Jet Li has played this trope many times. Huo Yuanjia in Fearless most of all. "Kung fu challenge, don't do it".

Huo Yuanjia.

The Dragon movie made Bruce Lee out to be the hero, but he was probably more of the bully; out to make a name for himself by challenging those Kung-Fu people (who were also selling their hocus pocus).

Asians were 2nd class citizens back then. Any kind of business with White people, would've been a step up. Those Kung Fu Masters weren't against teaching Whites. The guy (Wong Jack Man) that these Kung-Fu Masters supposedly brought in to beat up Bruce Lee, even said he had White students back then. And who was Wong Jack Man at that time? Just a nobody, Kung-Fu guy who claimed that he "didn't use my devastating kicks"...."as it would've been too deadly", vs. Bruce Lee during that fight (para)....so basically, they were both BS'ers; the typical BS'ers that Xu Xiaodong exposes currently in China.

However, Wong Jack Man does have a legit Kung-Fu lineage later on in his life, producing real Sanda fighters.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Dragon movie made Bruce Lee out to be the hero, but he was probably more of the bully; out to make a name for himself by challenging those Kung-Fu people (who were also selling their hocus pocus).

Asians were 2nd class citizens back then. Any kind of business with White people, would've been a step up. Those Kung Fu Masters weren't against teaching Whites. The guy (Wong Jack Man) that these Kung-Fu Masters supposedly brought in to beat up Bruce Lee, even said he had White students back then. And who was Wong Jack Man at that time? Just a nobody, Kung-Fu guy who claimed that he "didn't use my devastating kicks"...."as it would've been too deadly", vs. Bruce Lee during that fight (para)....so basically, they were both BS'ers; the typical BS'ers that Xu Xiaodong exposes currently in China.

However, Wong Jack Man does have a legit Kung-Fu lineage later on in his life, producing real Sanda fighters.
I should have been clear I was referring to "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" and not that terrible horrible "Birth of the Dragon" from a few years back. I'm getting old and 1993 was almost 30 years ago.

In the first, he fights a real life Hung Kuen guy (John Cheung, who is awesome) that is supposed to be some form of Wong Jack Man. In the other terrible movie, it's literally Wong, and it made the whole deal seem Uber silly.

The reality is that there were always people back then training for real, and still are, but the loudmouths tend of overshadow them. Then what happens is everyone on the outside gets a bad impression. You can definitely label Bruce as a bit of a snobbish scholar, and definitely no gentleman. Like a lot of smart, funny, strong guys. Add a little fame..

Xiadong and Bruce have a lot in common, same kind of fire. And Xu already has been cast as one of the biggest "bullies" in China, for basically attempting to be another white knight of kung fu. Poor man. No good deed...

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hocus Pocus? Is that your estimation of Chinese martial arts?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. How would I know? I’m all trapped in this dimension with nothing but coarse reality to lean on. I sure would like to learn the haduken fireball though.
The Wu Dip Jeurng?

It's pretty easy to learn, but it's a very close range attack. When I say close range, I mean intimate range.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No hocus pocus there. He looks pretty good at the form. That is not a haduken fireball though.
It's the closest thing in this world. Wu Dip. Remember to sweep the face!

1645568469817.png

1645568388051.png

1645568427072.png

1645568346203.png

1645568356253.png

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I should have been clear I was referring to "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" and not that terrible horrible "Birth of the Dragon" from a few years back. I'm getting old and 1993 was almost 30 years ago.

In the first, he fights a real life Hung Kuen guy (John Cheung, who is awesome) that is supposed to be some form of Wong Jack Man. In the other terrible movie, it's literally Wong, and it made the whole deal seem Uber silly.

The reality is that there were always people back then training for real, and still are, but the loudmouths tend of overshadow them. Then what happens is everyone on the outside gets a bad impression. You can definitely label Bruce as a bit of a snobbish scholar, and definitely no gentleman. Like a lot of smart, funny, strong guys. Add a little fame..

Xiadong and Bruce have a lot in common, same kind of fire. And Xu already has been cast as one of the biggest "bullies" in China, for basically attempting to be another white knight of kung fu. Poor man. No good deed...

UFC 1 dispelled just about all of the above; esp. when it paid out $50,000 for 1 night of fight & in 1993 money. That's a lot more than what most World Kickboxing title fight paid. Glory KB doesn't even pay that much, today. I doubt that Champions like Don Wilson, Benny the Jet, etc. ever made that much in 1 night.

And most of those dudes that Xu Xiadong fought, came to him. It was prob. a big payday for them to get clobbered by Xu. Look at the stage, crowd, production, etc. Someone was bank rolling those freak shows. No way were some of those Kung-Fu grandpas that delusional.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
F
UFC 1 dispelled just about all of the above; esp. when it paid out $50,000 for 1 night of fight & in 1993 money. That's a lot more than what most World Kickboxing title fight paid. Glory KB doesn't even pay that much, today. I doubt that Champions like Don Wilson, Benny the Jet, etc. ever made that much in 1 night.

And most of those dudes that Xu Xiadong fought, came to him. It was prob. a big payday for them to get clobbered by Xu. Look at the stage, crowd, production, etc. Someone was bank rolling those freak shows. No way were some of those Kung-Fu grandpas that delusional.
Fair enough, but it seems like they had to be a little bit nuts if they thought they had a chance, knowing they were not capable in a fight. 50 k isn’t much when it comes to paying doctor bills.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
F

Fair enough, but it seems like they had to be a little bit nuts if they thought they had a chance, knowing they were not capable in a fight. 50 k isn’t much when it comes to paying doctor bills.

Are you talking about the UFC or vs. Xu?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
you need to read what I said, again.
Well you said Bruce was a bully who made his name challenging all those Kung fu people who were also selling their hocus pocus. I agree with you, that Bruce was a hot head, loud mouthed peacock. I agree with you that there are plenty of phony CMA people. I just asked what your estimation of CMA was. ( oh I hate this thrice damned spell check!)

Latest Discussions