jeez, where do i start?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The part of the body that touches the ground here goes from the hand to the shoulder ACROSS the back in a diagonal line, if this is the motion you want to do. Also, look at the hand position that these guys have at the BEGINNING of the motion here:

Of course, disregard the fancy extra motions such as jumping off of some platform for now. Just do the basic roll!

Last edited by a moderator:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The part of the body that touches the ground here goes from the hand down the arm to the shoulder ACROSS the back in a diagonal line, if this is the motion you want to do. Also, look at the hand position that these guys have at the BEGINNING of the motion here:

Of course, disregard the fancy extra motions such as jumping off of some platform for now. Just do the basic roll!

And try it from the kneeling position first, to "cheat" and make it easier to begin with, if you must!!!

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Front rolls in the beginning are hard for everyone. After over a year I still am on the learning path. Most people don't realize it, but fear is one of the main factor that blocks you. Even tho not aware of it, fear will make so that creates hesitation and tension: both great enemy of front rolls.

As per the injury...it happens. 2 months ago I was taking a front roll and right at the moment I was passing the point of no return, my "base" foot slipped and I landed streight on my shoulder. After 2 month I still have alot of pain, above all in lifting the arm. Unfortunately the shoulder is a huge center of soft tissues, muscles, tendins and nerves. It takes time to heal completely.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Front rolls in the beginning are hard for everyone. After over a year I still am on the learning path. Most people don't realize it, but fear is one of the main factor that blocks you. Even tho not aware of it, fear will make so that creates hesitation and tension: both great enemy of front rolls.

As per the injury...it happens. 2 months ago I was taking a front roll and right at the moment I was passing the point of no return, my "base" foot slipped and I landed streight on my shoulder. After 2 month I still have alot of pain, above all in lifting the arm. Unfortunately the shoulder is a huge center of soft tissues, muscles, tendins and nerves. It takes time to heal completely.
Fear is a factor because it causes you to look away from the floor and that causes a barrel roll and barrel rolls hurt! Keep that head pinned to the shoulder of the side you're rolling with and watch your toes all the way through the roll. Good luck! Falls and rolls in judo are a must and must be done properly to avoid injury.

OP
L

little_miss_fracus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's it! That's the roll! Oh my gosh!!

That's what I'm trying to do but it seems my weight still comes down on my shoulder - the top of it like my arm collapses. So ... it looks like in the aikido videos they are holding their arms stiff but the other ones like the team ukemi seem to almost fall onto their arm - I think I'll work twards the aikido roll. they look closer to what I see in class, i guess.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The forward arm is an important part of keeping that front roll from being very painful on the shoulder. It IS a wheel roll, after all, and the arm is part of the wheel. It won't support your weight as much as guide your weight so that the transition onto the shoulder is less painful. Once you get very comfortable with the basic wheel roll (keeping the arm rigid with a slight bend) you'll be able to do the no arm front roll. Keep trying and try it from a squating position to take a little of the height out of it if that helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We wish to hear of your success! Remember:

1) Practice on the mat or a soft surface to begin with, while you are still learning -- to help to avoid injury.

2) You cannot learn it if you do not try -- also, sometimes the "squeaky wheel" gets the grease -- you can explicitly ask the advanced students for assistance, the worse that they can do is say "no" after all.

3) Once you "get it", it will be yours forever, you will never forget how to do this motion!

4) It is impressive to watch, it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye! Beautiful to behold (and hear -- or NOT hear)!

OP
L

little_miss_fracus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so I think I'm getting it now. I still wind up kinda sideways, a little bit more sideways than I think I'm supposed to. However, my shoulder doesn't hurt as bad now.

Thanks for the help guys!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad we could help. Make sure you're keeping that head tucked tight to the shoulder and aren't looking away from your toes during the roll and that should get you spot on. Just turning your eyeballs can cause a little difference in the roll. Good luck and remember that all things come with practice.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
What great advice in this thread. I saved some of those videos to my favorites.

I struggled with front rolls in my Army MP days -- yet I never learned the proper anatomy for one (the hand position, head tuck, etc). I feel empowered.

I actually find some back rolls coming out of a throw and back to my feet easier. Front rolls have the fear and failure factor for me. The kind of stuff that can keep us from doing almost anything.

Keep up the work Little Miss -- you'll do just fine. It might be worth getting the shoulder checked out if it continues to bother. Don't want to get to the point of no return (meaning surgery or something) with it.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually find some back rolls coming out of a throw and back to my feet easier. Front rolls have the fear and failure factor for me. The kind of stuff that can keep us from doing almost anything.
I am the opposite. I have no fear of forward rolls, I will easily do them, on concrete, or gravel, I don't care. I feel very confident with that motion.

Its the backward motion that is challenging to me, and I don't ever practice that.

I can say that later if you wish, after you have the forward roll down well, you can add a motion on the end. There is a way to roll, and then JUMP AND KICK THE TARGET.

Also, there is a form in American Kenpo, I believe, with the butterfly knife. One part of the form has the butterfly knife on the floor. The student rolls in that direction, with this roll, and picks up the knife, coming up to stand with it, and the form continues. Its very good motion to know, and very practical too, not just for fighting. But to keep from injury in some fall, perhaps.

Knowing how to fall can be useful in ANY martial art. I think that almost all of them have some kind of take down. Once a friend of mine was showing me a takedown, and I did this roll, without being prompted to. He then said, "No, you just reversed my motion, you defended against it." That's okay, its very useful!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For what its worth, I seem to recall that this guy:

learned from an old Japanese guy in a garage, or something close to that situation :)

Wish I could find the link that has the story of how Mr. Angier began his training.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand your confusion. It happens to everyone, and at the beginning everyone is scared of soreness and just outright "Oh wow" kinda stuff.

But I will say, I dont care if I train in my basement, I have a 10x12 built with a century wave master. I dont care if I train at the dojang, in a backyard......no matter. The fact is that you consistently train.

After doing reps it will get easier. Judo and any other martial art is exactly like reading. The more you do it, the better you become at it.

So keep pluggin away. A neat story for you if I could. I have a 12 yr. old girl in my class, she works harder than the boys. The 1st time she tried a rolling break fall it scared the crap out of her. I told her "You did the hardest part, you tried."

Plus don't worry about being "New" to Martial Arts, even the people who have been at it a lot longer than me will tell you that "You always learn and get better."

So good luck and keep plugging away.

Latest Discussions