Jedi and swordmanship

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to Gillard (who would later go on to perform a cameo role in Revenge of the Sith),

Cin Drallig (his name backwards), a lightsabre combat instructor in the Jedi Temple, he is show in a hologramatic recording mid-battle with Anakin (the newly annointed Darth Vader), with two other Jedi helping him.

Okay Ken, I know that was sad as well, but dammit, anyone tells me that I haven't watched the damn films....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Building a lightsaber is not possible with current technology.
1- you need to focus and limit a concentrated beam of light, or other form of focused energy.
2- you need to structure such so that it cuts everything, except another blade.

That requires force field tech that is not going to show up within my lifetime I suspect.

3- you need a powerful battery storage device. One that is small, lightweight, and long lasting. That's not a NiMo or NiCad cell folks. Going to need a major break through here, and I suspect the car companies will want them first.

4- at the risk of losing my few remaining geek creds, it's a movie. It's not real.

5- Kirk would kick Solo's ***, and Spock would nerve pinch the Wook. :p

;)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cin Drallig (his name backwards), a lightsabre combat instructor in the Jedi Temple, he is show in a hologramatic recording mid-battle with Anakin (the newly annointed Darth Vader), with two other Jedi helping him.

Okay Ken, I know that was sad as well, but dammit, anyone tells me that I haven't watched the damn films....

I'm pretty sure that the show that he didn't think you watched was the M. Kaku show, not the Star Wars movies. But yeah, you're SW fan cred is fully intact.
icon10.gif

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Its OK son I understand…..:)

I myself am more of a Star Trek fan then a Star Wars fan, but I’ve never been obsessive about any of it. Though I did once beat two Star Wars geeks @ Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.

My ADHD doesn’t let me get obsessive over much…. :jediduel:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I admit I am putting way too much effort in this argument, but here is another thing to consider: it was said that the sabre is so 'sharp' that it breaks the molecule bonds themselves.

In other words, if you turn on a lightsabre and start swinging it around, you're going to be standing in and breathing a sea of free radicals. Definitely not a good idea, and it turns the light sabre into a long term suicide weapon.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not we actually have a Lightsaber in our lifetimes or not. I dont believe it would be suited to kendo style movements as the blade in question would have no requirement for "power" to be generated through the swing.

I would imagine a very direct straight ahead type attack pattern with target being an opponents limbs. Initial strikes being blocked with immediate deflections from both people aiming to remove an opponents hands/wrists.

As we are talking about a very lightweight blade requiring no need to generate power. It would be very fast and by quickly incapacitating an opponents weapon hand i would be expecting a rapid battle of 1 or 2 bursts followed by the successor getting an undefended swipe for the kill.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not we actually have a Lightsaber in our lifetimes or not. I dont believe it would be suited to kendo style movements as the blade in question would have no requirement for "power" to be generated through the swing.

I would imagine a very direct straight ahead type attack pattern with target being an opponents limbs. Initial strikes being blocked with immediate deflections from both people aiming to remove an opponents hands/wrists.

As we are talking about a very lightweight blade requiring no need to generate power. It would be very fast and by quickly incapacitating an opponents weapon hand i would be expecting a rapid battle of 1 or 2 bursts followed by the successor getting an undefended swipe for the kill.

Kinda like the rapier... ;)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I said I wasn't going to get into the different established forms, but here's how they are used in the Star Wars Universe, if the weapon is the same, there would probably be little difference in their use here (save of course the Force applications and deflecting of laser bolt attacks....)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat

For the record, Obi Wan used Form III (Soresu), which was designed to be highly defensive, Anakin studied Form IV (Ataru), focusing on power and strength, Count Dooku utilised Form II (Makashi), a very old system, as well as a specially designed lightsaber with a curved handle to give greater finesse against other lightsabers, Mace Windu was a Master of Form VII (Vaapad), which brings is highly aggressive, and Yoda is a Master of all 7. If you want to see examples, that is....

In terms of what you are describing l_uky3, think most of Form II (Count Dooku).

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
okay, i said i wasn't going to get into the different established forms, but here's how they are used in the star wars universe, if the weapon is the same, there would probably be little difference in their use here (save of course the force applications and deflecting of laser bolt attacks....)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/lightsaber_combat

for the record, obi wan used form iii (soresu), which was designed to be highly defensive, anakin studied form iv (ataru), focusing on power and strength, count dooku utilised form ii (makashi), a very old system, as well as a specially designed lightsaber with a curved handle to give greater finesse against other lightsabers, mace windu was a master of form vii (vaapad), which brings is highly aggressive, and yoda is a master of all 7. If you want to see examples, that is....

In terms of what you are describing l_uky3, think most of form ii (count dooku).

omg...

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I said I wasn't going to get into the different established forms, but here's how they are used in the Star Wars Universe, if the weapon is the same, there would probably be little difference in their use here (save of course the Force applications and deflecting of laser bolt attacks....)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat

For the record, Obi Wan used Form III (Soresu), which was designed to be highly defensive, Anakin studied Form IV (Ataru), focusing on power and strength, Count Dooku utilised Form II (Makashi), a very old system, as well as a specially designed lightsaber with a curved handle to give greater finesse against other lightsabers, Mace Windu was a Master of Form VII (Vaapad), which brings is highly aggressive, and Yoda is a Master of all 7. If you want to see examples, that is....

In terms of what you are describing l_uky3, think most of Form II (Count Dooku).

Wait... what??
%think%

I don't think you EVER have to worry about anyone on here EVER implying that you don't know your Star Wars trivia.

So was it the Jedi that got you interested in Ninjutsu/Ninpo or the other way around?

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol.

I love my Star wars. but Daayum.

You should make a Star wars trivia thread.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait... what??
%think%

I don't think you EVER have to worry about anyone on here EVER implying that you don't know your Star Wars trivia.

So was it the Jedi that got you interested in Ninjutsu/Ninpo or the other way around?

Um, actually quite separate... I loved the films since I was really really really little... I remember seeing the original and being utterly distraught when Obi Wan was cut down... I remember seeing Empire at the drive in... loved them. Later I came to understand the real power behind the films (it's not the dialogue, not even the effects. It's the mythological thematic structure, courtesy primarily of Joseph Campbell).

I read as much as I could about mythology, loved the Greek and Roman myths as a child as well (I met a girl named Cassandra today, and asked her if many people asked her for the lottery numbers... ).

Of course, my life has seen me study a number of things that are as close to Jedi-style things as possible, so who knows? Japanese arts, focussing on sword (personally, and even more recently), NLP (some refer to similar to Jedi mind tricks....), and more. So, um, maybe?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to believe that most things in our lives are interconnected. It would be a fun study to examine what consciously and subconsciously lead us to the martial arts. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It would be a fun study to examine what consciously and subconsciously lead us to the martial arts. :)

Well I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, I am not sure if it was the desire to strike fear in the hearts of my fellow man or to crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, I am not sure if it was the desire to strike fear in the hearts of my fellow man or to crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women :D

Crom approves.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score

:lfao:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah, but Dude, the women never, ever frigg'n stop their lamentations....

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score

I have a buddy who refers to Xingyi as the "darkside..."

I think you just made his case for him! LOL