kenjutsu/sword art question(s) - help to find dojo?

green man

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi - new user here. I've studied martial arts in the past, like aikido, which have utilized the bokken, but where there wasn't a specific focus on actual swordsmanship. Since I've left my old dojo, I've become interested in pursuing a traditional japanese sword art. I'm almost certain that I'm not looking for iaido or kendo, but beyond that I'm sort of in the dark.

My questions are:

1. In addition to kenjutsu, I've also heard of batto-do. Any insight on the differences of terms, and whether there are more 'hard-style' sword arts beyond these two?

2. I'm trying to find a place to learn kenjutsu (or a related art). I'm in Portland, OR right now, and so far my searching has led to local kendo and MMA clubs, but no kenjutsu. Anyone have any insight as to where I could find a dojo or instructor around here?? Thx!

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
green man said:
1. In addition to kenjutsu, I've also heard of batto-do. Any insight on the differences of terms, and whether there are more 'hard-style' sword arts beyond these two?

Linguistically the terms Battodo, Battojutsu, Iaido and Iaijutsu are pretty much interchangable. All four terms imply that the styles which use these names specialize in cutting from the draw. The very act of drawing the sword becomes an attack. Battodo, Battojutsu are terms which are "usually" used to refer to Toyama Ryu/Nakamura Ryu and other gendai(modern) styles of Japanese swordsmanship. I imagine there are also a handful of koryu(old stream) styles of JSA which use Battodo/jutsu as well, although I can't name any off the top of my head.

Neither Kenjtusu nor Battodo is a style per se. They are rather generalized types of Japanese Swordsmanship. Kenjutsu is extremely general and encompasses pretty much all styles which use a sword. There are individual styles which can be classified as Kenjutsu, Battodo or Battojutsu, Iaido, etc...

Kendo is a rather specialized case. While technically Kenjutsu and Kendo should be interchangeable terms, Kendo is now so closely associated with the kendo of the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei that people will assume you mean the ZNKR when you refer to Kendo.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hard-style". I assume by that you mean styles which are concerned primarly with training for actual combat and are not at all interested in competition. Taikais are a part of most, but not all, JSA schools. The Battodo(Iaido/Iaijutsu/Battojutsu et all) folks get together for cutting competitions and solo waza form competitions). The Kendo folks get together and whack each other with sticks. Competition does not necessarily degrade the combat effectiveness of a style.

2. I'm trying to find a place to learn kenjutsu (or a related art). I'm in Portland, OR right now, and so far my searching has led to local kendo and MMA clubs, but no kenjutsu. Anyone have any insight as to where I could find a dojo or instructor around here?? Thx!

I would suggest searching over at http://www.e-budo.com and http://www.swordforum.com. It may very well be that Kendo is the best option available to you in Portland. Kendo will give you good stamina and a good feeling for distance and timing which will prepare you well if you move to where other training oppurtunities are available. Like say... Seattle, which has a truly embarassing selection of koryu budo available for study.

You really have to find what's available in your area, pick your best option and train your hardest. Unless you're willing to move, you probably won't have very many options.

Good luck with your search.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
green man said:
Anyone have any insight as to where I could find a dojo or instructor around here?? Thx!
The alternative option which many people that are hungry to learn Japanese swordsmanship have done when there isn't a dojo in their area, is fly or ride out to seminars with legitimate sensei out there. Save your money and make it out to one of these seminars. Practice what you've learned from the seminar until you can make it back out to the next seminar for corrections with that same sensei.

Here are good places to check for upcoming seminars. And there's no worries if you miss one of these cause there are more offered throughout the years in various places across the country and around the world.

http://swordforumbugei.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=136

M

marcMunich

If your interested in a Kenjutsu style I would recommend Shinkendo (a lot of dojos in the US). Shinkendo will teach you different suburis, katas and eventually also Tameshigiri. It is not a very old style or ryu but it is based on them. You can find some info (including dojo-locations) on www.shinkendo.com. Another style (older more tradiational and also more forceful) is Kashima Shin Ryu. Both styles have in common, that you start practicing with a bokken and later on you also train with iaitos and (much later on) shinken (hence the name) for tameshigiri. Hope this helps a little.