Jedi and swordmanship

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
By "hard" you clearly mean jing dispersing and shen shattering hard right?

It's not enough to just destroy the body after all ;)

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Bengquan is a great example of that. Does this mean we are the Sith of the MA community? Should we forge an empire ;) lol

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
:lol:

Sure thing Darthspeedo.... We know you do Xingyiquan.. welcome to the darkside :EG: :D

Sure WE know, but now EVERYone knows! And were we going to have him infiltrate the Jedi on MT and corrupt them. Now they know! :duh:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me the Jedi religion concept is very much like the Buddhist Monk, Shaolin type of learning. Studying and learning wisdom and finding the center of one's self while seeking enlightenment.
While the Jedi has been referred to as a "religion" in the films several times to me it's not.
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice throughout the galaxy" ~ Obi-wan Kenobi

Don't EVEN get me started on the damned midiclorians concepts... just to me Lucas' asinine way of getting rid of the spiritual aspect of the Jedi's use of the force. Obi-wan and Yoda described the Force as an energy produced by living things... themselves not symbiotic teeny tiny itsy-bitsy widdle creatures living in our cells. *SLAPS LUCAS UPSIDE THE HEAD* what a moron.

There was a program on the Discovery/History channel not too long ago... "Star Wars Tech" http://www.history.com/content/starwarslegacy ... they talked about lightsabers and basically one scientist said that they ARE possible... provided that we figure out a way to harness Plasma energy (which can give off light) and thus wield it as a sword. One tech manual I read said that the beam was created by the alignment of certain types of crystals inside the handle and that a charge was sent through them which created the main beam of the weapon... that the sabers needed to be re-charged from time to time. The Jedi themselves had to also create the weapons themselves and not pick one out of a display case at the local shop... this also helps the idea as to why they were so different from person to person. Slinging about a plasma beam would definitely merit lots of training so to not cut off one's own head or other body part. :rolleyes:

Either way the fighting style was more exciting of course in the prequels compared to the original trilogy which probably put folks to sleep. I always wondered how come nobody at ILM didn't think about creating "long shots" of Obi-wan and Vader (as seen from the hanger bay approximate where the Falcon was held and show the two of them moving quickly as the prequels... edited with the closeups of Alex Guinness and David Prowse.
ESB had Luke and Vader fighting a bit faster than Obi-wan and Vader... then back to slow to medium speed in ROTJ.
It was a bit disappointing to see them do the twirling baton maneuver with the sabers... so ... typical.

But yeah... we quit killing each other here on this planet we might make significant leaps in technology to where it is possible to have some of the Star Wars/ Star-Trek tech.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But yeah... we quit killing each other here on this planet we might make significant leaps in technology to where it is possible to have some of the Star Wars/ Star-Trek tech.

Yeah, but if we quit killing each other, we would have no need to develop such cool technology. :)

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but if we quit killing each other, we would have no need to develop such cool technology. :)

What if we unify under the banner of war and invade Mars. I can see it now, "When Earth Attacks!".... I mean all those proto-lifeforms wandering out there must be a threat to our homeworld security.... ;)

marshall arts

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think the traditional sword techniques will very too much. they would become more precision based for there is no room for mistake. and after a while light saber play will become as common as the rest of martial arts. i'm still having a problem with how to build a handheld nuclear reactor attached to a pulsar generator(thats what a lightsaber is) add a pressure activation switch.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think the traditional sword techniques will very too much. they would become more precision based for there is no room for mistake. and after a while light saber play will become as common as the rest of martial arts. i'm still having a problem with how to build a handheld nuclear reactor attached to a pulsar generator(thats what a lightsaber is) add a pressure activation switch.

Tradional swordmanship would change quite a bit from a JSA point of view. It would develop a more western style of fencing then traditional JSA, you would no longer need two hands on the weapon. That alone would affect everything you would do.

Believe me, in practicing JSA, there is no room for mistakes, and you need to be very precise, I've cut myself on more than a few occasions.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it would follow more of a western style, as well. There would probably be one-handed camps, as well as two-handed styles.

One fight we would get rid of is the curved sword/straight sword debate that's been around forever.

One thing that may change, however (and this is just my observation and imagination running wild) is that during the "binds" in all 6 movies, there is no sliding the blades across each other. They seem to "bite" into each other, until they were disengaged. A lot of western fighting involves binding the blade, then "advancing" it (sliding it into an advantageous positon) before the kill. Much of historical rapier fencing uses that option.

I always imagined that was part of the sword -- and why they didn't use guards. They didn't need them if the swords couldn't slide across each other.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always imagined that was part of the sword -- and why they didn't use guards. They didn't need them if the swords couldn't slide across each other.

They would be pointless as the saber would cut right through the guard anyways.

OP
P

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i was just wandering should a martial artist value kata more than randori, or doing kata only and no randori? If you learn groundfighting, guard, chokes, locks but never spar, do you really think it is possible to fight on the ground? Can this be applied to learning weapons also such as the sword? Doing two man kata, one attacker, one defender, pre determined move but never spar would make you better at swordmanship?

Latest Discussions