isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you going to tell him he can’t wear his gi out in public?

View attachment 21082

I got a kick out of all the guys running in the streets barefoot and in their gis in that movie. Must’ve hurt.

No but I will tell him we dont stick "Shihan" in front of our name.

We were sent on a barefoot run like that in Brussels for a promo, I have never seen so much glass and dog **** in my life. Up to the park to kick mud in each others faces. The black stains never ever came out of my gi.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think maybe you (and the OP) have a problem.

I wear my white sweat shirt with my Judo club logo on it all the time. Most people ignore it. 'Cept that time I wore it to the indoor range in winter. It was freezing in there. You know what happened? The RSO on duty asked my advice about some martial arts training he was interested it. I gave it to him.

I often don't change my gi pants when I go to or from teaching. Sure, I'll take off my jacket and belt and put on a t-shirt. If I'm on my way home from teaching Judo and I realize that I need to stop by the store for some reason, you know what I do? I go to the store because I'm not an emotional child who is terrified about what the "People of Wal-Mart" think about me.

You know what they say? "Egad, Trudy! He's wearing white after Labor Day!"

:rolleyes:
Always leaving mine hanging it the dojo. Early morning in winter I would have to beat the ice out of it to put it on. Twenty minutes later up and down the dojo it was steaming.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No but I will tell him we dont stick "Shihan" in front of our name.

We were sent on a barefoot run like that in Brussels for a promo, I have never seen so much glass and dog **** in my life. Up to the park to kick mud in each others faces. The black stains never ever came out of my gi.
In all fairness to Howard Collins, it looks like a picture someone else made on photoshop. The pic is a scene from the movie Fighting Black Kings, aka The Strongest Karate.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no problems with Gis and belts, I would ban MAMILS especially the sweaty ones! Ugh!

I applaud anyone who is trying to get fit but please don't wear Lycra to do it in, I'm not sure it's good for you anyway, all that sweat encased in elastic.

(Middle Aged Men In Lycra)

Dang it, now I feel bad. I wear a rash guard under my Gi because I sweat a lot and it seems to keep me from dripping onto my partners more than nothing or a T-shirt. I generally go straight home after training but there have been times when I dropped into a store to pick something up real quick...so yes MAMIL and sweaty at that......I do tend to suck in my gut though if that helps......

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Always leaving mine hanging it the dojo. Early morning in winter I would have to beat the ice out of it to put it on. Twenty minutes later up and down the dojo it was steaming.

god your hard core, no fabric conditioner for you

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would be interesting to put that to the test. For example, would you resist the temptation to stare if you saw this at Walmart:
http://www.superfansuits.com/media/...d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img-product-ninja1-f.jpg

...or this:
http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/img/elvis/70s/74/sept-9-74-karate.jpg

...or how about this:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6f/7d/3c/6f7d3c4174c9137012c3f0c1beb54f74.jpg
I managed to resist clicking the links. Does that count? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you ever gone to the store and you see a adult or a kid wearing their GI and belt ?
have you ever confront them and say your not suppose to wear that in the store?
Only a true bozo would do something like that.

Sometimes I don't have a change of clothes and need to stop at the grocery store while in uniform. It usually leads to conversations and me handing out VIP passes for a month free trial.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I'm normally the odd ball, but I'm with "the herd" on this one.

Whether or not a grown up wears his gi/belt, in walmart, is between him and his trainer OR him and the mgmnt of Wal-Mart (doubt they care).

In Kajukenbo, we put on (and took off) our belts in a ceremonial manner. They were never worn off the training floor. NOW, had I seen someone from my club in Wal-Mart.... Eh, now it is my business. Otherwise, nope.

Even at the clubs that don't care (don't think my current one would) I don't do it. I take off the kimono, throw on a tank, and ride out. I think rockin a gi in public is tacky. Then again, so is the fanny pack holster I used for years lol

I do think one needs to accept they have invited intrigue by doing so, though. I do approach complete strangers, in gi's, and ask where they train.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think rockin a gi in public is tacky. Then again, so is the fanny pack holster I used for years lol
Waitaminute... Fanny packs are tacky? Next thing, you'll be telling me that wearing black socks, sandals, and shorts is tacky too, then I'll have to change my whole wardrobe!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You wore your stuff in a pub? That’s awesome!

I’ve been contemplating buying a wrestling singlet to wear around the streets. Maybe I’ll stop by a pub and have a pint while I’m at it.

Then again, no pockets. Gotta buy a fanny pack to keep my wallet in.

I have worn my tie dye GI at the pub once.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also by your logic does that make you a show off because you've got an icon of you in your gi and brown belt holding a certificate....isn't that basically the same thing...showing your belt and uniform to a bunch of strangers...
I really do get a kick out of a brown belt referring to himself as a Kenpo Master :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really do get a kick out of a brown belt referring to himself as a Kenpo Master :D
I hadn't noticed that. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, having 2 black belts in 2 different styles of ken/mpo and still being a disciple.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really do get a kick out of a brown belt referring to himself as a Kenpo Master
Clearly it's an aspirational name. Like "dress for the job you want", but with screen names.

I hadn't noticed that. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, having 2 black belts in 2 different styles of ken/mpo and still being a disciple.

You aren't being aspirational enough. :)

Seriously, though, I'm not sure screen names based on your current art or rank are the best idea. What happens when "TaeKwonDoIsMyLife1987" decides that he really prefers doing Judo? What happens when "YondanChris" gets a new rank? (Oh, wait, that already happened.)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I'm not sure screen names based on your current art or rank are the best idea. What happens when "TaeKwonDoIsMyLife1987" decides that he really prefers doing Judo? What happens when "YondanChris" gets a new rank? (Oh, wait, that already happened.)
I feel like after (18?) years it's a safe bet. Even if I switch arts (which I did), kempo is still my base, and was a large enough part of both me growing up as a person, and of my martial arts life, that I can't imagine being unhappy anytime soon with the name.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly.

At times I look a little trashy but I don't worry about people's opinion and assumptions on me.

I would think differently of someone who enters a shop in his/her martial arts uniform if it were convenient for them to do so. I usually admire such people. If I see them in horse riding clothes, or any other uniform, I have more respect for them for having interests & for leading lives they desire. I think it might be the discipline aspect of it that triggers my admiration for some people - I'm very conservative, strict morally, & modest, so perhaps that's why. A lot of people these days don't really do anything - they just sit around in their pj's & watch Netflix.

Not that it's wrong, it's just that I place value on different things in life - what they value isn't what I value. There are others whose work schedules are so full (I do admire hard workers, though), they can't manage to do anything else, but one should always have some sort of a balance in place. Balance prevents burnout - I've burned out before where my health in some sense deteriorated because of stress. It was horrible.

Now, I'm all good. :hilarious:

It's all personal preference, I've observed. Nothing wrong with others' opinions at all.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
See I wouldn't wear my training shoes around due to the concern about tranmission of dirt and disease.

I do have a set of hi vis wrestling shoes that are pretty fly. Wor them to yoga once because my toes were all busted up.

I wonder if others in your class think as sensibly as you do though? :hilarious:

It makes sense. I never thought about it like that... :nailbiting:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Waitaminute... Fanny packs are tacky? Next thing, you'll be telling me that wearing black socks, sandals, and shorts is tacky too, then I'll have to change my whole wardrobe!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Be at peace. There is nothing wrong with that attire as long as the sandals are tie dye colored. Red, purple and pink are especially tasteful. :p

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is probably because you train with Cobra Kai.

images

i have sleeveless jacket with the name of my club and KARATE across the back, i don't,wear it often as it provokes idiots to engage me in conversation and mock me, I'm not sure how much worse wandering round in a gi would be? Considerably o would imagine.

i can see that, someone might be caught out and need to pop to the shop on their way home, but on the other hand it takes less than a min, to change. There has to be an element of look at me, exhibitionism about it if grown men make a habit of wanderings around dressed up in their suit and belts,
its like,a king fu movie

"People only put you down if you start to believe it."

- Pretty Woman

Last edited: