Is Wing Chun even viable.

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My older brother got wing chung classes and he like it.
He didnt go to some classes and dropped it, because his teacher changed, but he still had in his mind, that
wing chun is viable,.... because his trainer said he needed self defense and started giving him classes.

I am doing muay thai right now, and I have to say its fricking amazing! Just all the kind of kicks is so much fun.
I had a sparring match as well (but sadly a boxing sparring match, because I only had 2 days of training, but still fun!). I got a lot of adrenaline and it felt so good being in a sparring match.
After I told my older brother about it, he got a bit depressed, because he watched a video of 5 fake martial arts, and wing chun was at number one. Because I am not quite the martial artist, I need your guys' opinion on this martial art. Is it viable, or fake?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to see a YouBoob video about how muay thai is useless?

Using YouBoob as a reference is... questionable... to say the least.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Want to see a YouBoob video about how muay thai is useless?

Using YouBoob as a reference is... questionable... to say the least.

Sorry, but I dont quite understand.
Also sorry if this comes out as a Hypocrytical response but I actually dont get what you are trying to say,
I am tired, got punched in the face,.. a lot today (was fun) so I hope you can understand.
Thanks ^^

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Instead of thinking about what MA skill that you can get from a particular MA style, you should first decide what MA skill that you want to develop first. You then find a path (which style) that can help you to get there. In AI, this is called backward search.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Instead of thinking what MA skill that you can get from a particular MA style, you should first decide what MA skill that you want to develop first. You then find a path (which style) that can help you to get there. In AI, this is called backward search.

I think that answer may satisfy my brother, thanks!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that answer may satisfy my brother, thanks!
If you want to develop

- roundhouse kick, you take the MT path.
- side kick, you take the TKD path.
- hook punch, you take the boxing path.
- hip throw, you take the Chinese wrestling (or Judo) path.
- single leg, you take the wrestling path.
- ground game, you take the BJJ path.
- center line principle (or chain punches), you take the WC path.

If you want to develop "flying knee", WC will not be your path.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also sorry if this comes out as a Hypocrytical response but I actually dont get what you are trying to say,
I am tired, got punched in the face,.. a lot today (was fun) so I hope you can understand.
Thanks ^^

What I am saying is that you can find some silly video that claims to "prove" just about any silly idea you can think of.

Here's one showing people who will do their best to convince you that the earth is flat.

Here's one to prove that the moon landings were faked.

Here's a whole web site about a Secret Planet, knowledge of which is being Suppressed by the Government Conspiracy, that is about to Destroy Earth Any Day Now.
Nibiru | The 12th Planet, The Nephilim & The Creation Of Humans

The point is that instead of watching some stupid video, you should go train. So should your brother. Who wins your sparring match will be determined more by natural ability and ability to apply what you're learning than by which art you're studying.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who cares. Training wing chun is better than sitting around playing video games. Whether or not it's "viable" it's still a good thing to do for health and social benefits

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My older brother got wing chung classes and he like it.
He didnt go to some classes and dropped it, because his teacher changed, but he still had in his mind, that
wing chun is viable,.... because his trainer said he needed self defense and started giving him classes.

I am doing muay thai right now, and I have to say its fricking amazing! Just all the kind of kicks is so much fun.
I had a sparring match as well (but sadly a boxing sparring match, because I only had 2 days of training, but still fun!). I got a lot of adrenaline and it felt so good being in a sparring match.
After I told my older brother about it, he got a bit depressed, because he watched a video of 5 fake martial arts, and wing chun was at number one. Because I am not quite the martial artist, I need your guys' opinion on this martial art. Is it viable, or fake?
Wing Chun is great, I love it.

With that said, learn to fight first. You won't learn to fight doing just WingChun.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who cares. Training wing chun is better than sitting around playing video games. Whether or not it's "viable" it's still a good thing to do for health and social benefits

If you don't care about the results then video games is every bit as good as anything else. If wing chun can say self defense and it doesn't matter. Video games can claim fitness. I mean why even expect standards.

Seriously the responses we are getting on this thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks ^^

Something along the lines of don't ever trust an external source only obey you instructor. Which is super weird.

Otherwise.
If the chun produces fighters then their system works. And you test that by either sparring those guys, talking to qualified guys who have sparred them or looking at their competition record.

Same with the Muay Thai.

Self defense is a term that quite simply has no meaning in a martial arts context because it is just too vague an idea.

Weasel word? Is the advertising term.
Pop Goes the Weasel Word! Top 6 Vague and Meaningless Words and...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self defense is a term that quite simply has no meaning in a martial arts context because it is just too vague an idea....
Instead of to obtain self-defense ability, I prefer to obtain the ability to protect my love one. I believe both require different skills.

Self-defense - run away, hide in your cave, beg your opponent not to hurt you, ...
Protect your love one - make your opponent to regret that his mother ever brought him into this world, ...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instead of to obtain self-defense ability, I prefer to obtain the ability to protect my love one. I believe both require different skills.

Self-defense - run away, hide in your cave, beg your opponent not to hurt you, ...
Protect your love one - make your opponent to regret that his mother ever brought him into this world, ...

It could just mean be rich and live in a nice area.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It could just mean be rich and live in a nice area.
To me, self-defense means selfish. It doesn't have the spirit to help the

- weak to fight against the strong.
- good to defeat the evil.

With great power comes great responsibility.

A: Why do you train MA for?
B: I train MA for self-defense.
C: I train MA for world peace.

IMO, C > B

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
he got a bit depressed, because he watched a video of 5 fake martial arts, and wing chun was at number one.
He shouldn't get upset about videos like that. People who usually make videos like have a agenda to make you think the same way that they do about a martial art.

I don't like Wing Chun but not because I think it's fake. If you get a good Wing Chun practitioner that knows what he's doing, then it's not going to be an easy fight. Like always this says more about the fighter and less about the system. Just because you know Wing Chun or any Martial Arts doesn't mean you are going to be good at it. You have to work it and practice the applications in various scenarios. You are going to lose or fail a lot before you get good at it. This is the same with anything from playing the piano to fighting. It's the natural way of learning.

People say Muay Thai is awesome but in reality the people that usually prove that point are professional Muay Thai fighters. They are not your average Muay Thai students, who like everyone else travel from beginner to advanced level. You yourself is a perfect example of that type of student. How far you advance depends on your training and commitment. This is the same with Wing Chun and every martial art out there. Is the person training to actually be able to fight using Wing Chun or are they only doing forms and drills?

Everyone sucks at the beginning. EVERYONE. Some improve faster, some improve slower, but everyone sucks at the beginning. How good will wing chun be for a person in a fight. It just all depends on their training, do they only spar with other Wing Chun people? If so then you probably won't get much effectiveness out of Wing Chun. If you use wing chun against different fighters, then you'll be much better with Wing Chun than someone who only trains Style A vs Style A (Wing Chun vs Wing Chun).

The one thing that will make you truly fail at Wing Chun is not trusting the techniques and bailing out of the training.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who cares. Training wing chun is better than sitting around playing video games.
Definitely not true for me. Invite me to Train Wing Chun or Invite me to play video games. I'm going to take the video games lol. Wing Chun just doesn't have the stuff that I like and that pretty much goes with what Wang was saying. Find out what types of strikes, kicks, and grabs interest you and then go out and choose a martial arts that does that. Training and be good at it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self-defense - run away, hide in your cave, beg your opponent not to hurt you
This will sometimes get you killed. Run away is not always the best option. Sometimes it shows you are afraid and encourages the attack.

Self-defense consist of a lot things with the main goal of either not being in a fight, conflict, or coming out on the healthier side of a conflict that turns physical.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
People say Muay Thai is awesome but in reality the people that usually prove that point are professional Muay Thai fighters. They are not your average Muay Thai students, who like everyone else travel from beginner to advanced level. You yourself is a perfect example of that type of student. How far you advance depends on your training and commitment. This is the same with Wing Chun and every martial art out there. Is the person training to actually be able to fight using Wing Chun or are they only doing forms and drills?

Also: people who say Muay Thai is awesome only seem to think about the athletes that are on the top of their game. They don't come to think of the average Joe, who only does it for the fitness and the thrills of a good exercise, but who does not want to get to the ring, or even might be scared of doing that; he might not even be any good at what he does, but he does it anyway since he likes it.

This goes to show the values that people too often unwittingly commit to when it goes to their preferences in martial arts. I've seen lots of flack against Taido because "it would get you killed in T3H STREETZ" or "it can't win against other styles". This shows a hidden agenda that a real value of any martial arts practice is the superior outcome of a violent encounter, either consensual (a sporting event) or not (civilian protection). Hell, many people like to train martial arts because the practice and the social bonds they form in the activity are meaningful to the individual themselves which, in the context of the society at large, is way more laudable and preferable than a hierarchical pecking order based on a superiority in skills involving physical violence.

Rant over.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also: people who say Muay Thai is awesome only seem to think about the athletes that are on the top of their game. They don't come to think of the average Joe, who only does it for the fitness and the thrills of a good exercise, but who does not want to get to the ring, or even might be scared of doing that; he might not even be any good at what he does, but he does it anyway since he likes it.

This goes to show the values that people too often unwittingly commit to when it goes to their preferences in martial arts. I've seen lots of flack against Taido because "it would get you killed in T3H STREETZ" or "it can't win against other styles". This shows a hidden agenda that a real value of any martial arts practice is the superior outcome of a violent encounter, either consensual (a sporting event) or not (civilian protection). Hell, many people like to train martial arts because the practice and the social bonds they form in the activity are meaningful to the individual themselves which, in the context of the society at large, is way more laudable and preferable than a hierarchical pecking order based on a superiority in skills involving physical violence.

Rant over.
yep funny how it works. "If it's not in professional fighting then it's no good." The reality is, "It's not what someone else can do with martial arts, it's what I can do with it." Because I'm the one who has to use it, not the professional fighter.

Latest Discussions