American Kenpo or Wing Chun? Help me Decide Which Style to Study!

OP
C

Carpathian

White Belt
Reaction score
I've looked more into the school that offers the Wing Chun courses and I think that is the route that I am going to go with. Also, this school has a Sanshou program that is taught right after the Wing Chun class on Thursdays so I think I am going to pick that up as well. It seems like Wing Chun and Sanshou would be great cross training and would compliment each other very nicely! Let me know what you guys think.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they will compliment eachother, as WC's body mechanics and principles are unique. But it's definitely a good idea to train them both for perspective as long as you don't get them confused -- which can be a real issue.

I'm a proponent of diversifying your training -- not because I think that cross-training is all that, but because it provides useful insight and perspective.

OP
C

Carpathian

White Belt
Reaction score
I just meant that they would compliment each other in the sense that Sanshou could teach me take downs and submissions which are areas that Wing Chun doesn't necessarily focus on. Also, Sanshou would help me with foot work. The majority of my training would be centered around Wing Chun, though.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've looked more into the school that offers the Wing Chun courses and I think that is the route that I am going to go with. Also, this school has a Sanshou program that is taught right after the Wing Chun class on Thursdays so I think I am going to pick that up as well. It seems like Wing Chun and Sanshou would be great cross training and would compliment each other very nicely! Let me know what you guys think.
Fine! :( But if you ever want to learn to fight, come see us. :D

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just meant that they would compliment each other in the sense that Sanshou could teach me take downs and submissions which are areas that Wing Chun doesn't necessarily focus on. Also, Sanshou would help me with foot work. The majority of my training would be centered around Wing Chun, though.

Ah, didn't mean to come off negatively. It absolutely would be useful, I think!

I wish I could learn some Chin-Na personally, but I'll be doing good to find a place to continue my Wing Chun at this rate. If you live in an area with a diversity of arts, take advantage of all the opportunities given to you :D

OP
C

Carpathian

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't take it negatively at all! Just felt like I should clarify :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck! It's been my experience that the term "Sanshou" is used somewhat broadly here in the U.S.--I'll be curious to hear what you;re learning.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I have trained both and I do not think they compliment each other, they have very different ideas about fighting. Nothing wrong with either but if I were you I would pick one and go with it for awhile before I started the other.