Is this true what Bruce Lee said?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce was a fan of Ali but just going off of his personality type, I seriously doubt he said that.

Bruce Lee said:
I don't drink. I don't smoke, but I do use gum, because Fu Man chew...

Bruce Lee was a card. I can see him saying it as a joke, easily.

I can also see him being serious: Esquire magazine used to do a feature called "Actual Size," from time to time. It consisted of photos of things at their......wait for it........actual size. :lfao:

They did Ali's fist-this was back in the 70's......it pretty much took up the whole page-look it up.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ali might've beaten Lee in the ring if they were fighting by the rules used in boxing, but not on the street. During his prime Ali did say that if he ever got into a street fight he would be in a lot of trouble.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm mostly curious Buka about someone saying Joe Lewis took down Ali and mounted him. Curious where that came from as I have not heard it before. Though having had the opportunity to train with Lewis a couple of times way back in the day I could see this happening.

As to Ali vs. Lee. Bruce Lee for all he has done for the martial arts was definitely ahead of his time and helped to create a culture of people training, learning across boundaries, etc. Many of us got into the martial arts because of his movies. However, as a fighter we simply do not know how good he was we can only conjecture because he did not compete. While Ali was the heavyweight boxing champion of the world. A huge man, with great reach and incredibly speed for that size and still revered as the greatest in his sport all these years later. Hard to argue about Ali winning either in the ring or on the street in a fight!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm mostly curious Buka about someone saying Joe Lewis took down Ali and mounted him. Curious where that came from as I have not heard it before. Though having had the opportunity to train with Lewis a couple of times way back in the day I could see this happening.

Just last week I was training with someone who worked with Joe Lewis, and after what he told me I find it possible as well. Basically he told me Joe was very skilled as well as more than a little crazy when it came to MA.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some people do know how good Bruce was. But since he doesn't have a public fight record most of us can't and don't rely on their word. Doesn't mean they aren't correct.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

As to Ali vs. Lee. Bruce Lee for all he has done for the martial arts was definitely ahead of his time and helped to create a culture of people training, learning across boundaries, etc. Many of us got into the martial arts because of his movies. However, as a fighter we simply do not know how good he was we can only conjecture because he did not compete. While Ali was the heavyweight boxing champion of the world. A huge man, with great reach and incredibly speed for that size and still revered as the greatest in his sport all these years later. Hard to argue about Ali winning either in the ring or on the street in a fight!

I'm the one who said it, and I remember it. But I think it was sprawl, rather than a mount. It was reported in one of the Boston newspapers the next day, either the Globe, Herald, Traveler or Record American. There was an accompanying photo, too. The photo didn't show much, two guys on the ground, one obviously on top of the other, with a whole gang of people trying to separate them. Apparently, they knew each other a little bit, I don't know how well, maybe they just met once. And Ali, being Ali, started teasing and throwing some jabs at Joe, who was seated. Joe didn't take to teasing, not by anybody. He did a double leg take down and sprawled on top of him. (might have been a mount, but I think it was a sprawl hold down.) I think it was a one or two paragraph piece, probably used for filler.

My guess is it was after an exhibition match, which Ali did a ton of back then. I think he did twenty of them in 72 alone. I mean, it couldn't have been a title fight or it would have had much more publicity. I remember it like it was yesterday, part of it, anyway. And here's why -I was a huge Ali fan. I grew up watching and following boxing with my family. But Ali was the first guy I liked who didn't wear the white hat. Probably because we were all sort of anti-establishment back then, and Ali sure as hell was the champ of anti-establishment everything. But I first trained with Joe Lewis in 1972 and in a couple years he was the guy I looked up to the most. I remember seeing the picture in the paper and laughing out loud at my kitchen table, saying, "Oh Muhammed, what the hell are you doing messing with Joe Lewis?"

My best guess is it was between 1973 and 1978. Ali did that exhibition with Inoki in June of 76 (the most embarrassing night in the history of the fight game IMO) so I'm guessing it might have been that year. I've tried to google it over the years and couldn't find anything either. Which is kind of surprising. But there have been other things I can't find on Google, and they too, involve the fight game. (that's odd to me)

A couple weeks ago I was at a training camp. One of Joe's long time students was there, too. I wish I had thought of asking him about it. He might remember some details. He might not. But I'll be speaking with him again and see what I can dig up. And maybe I can research this myself. I live in Boston....and it was a Boston paper. I don't know how one gets to go through their history, but a friend is the union rep for the Globe and he might be able to point me in the right direction.

And now I really want to find this because Joe passed away. I want to see that photo and smile just one more time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is reportedly Joe Lewis's own account:
Joe Lewis - Muhammad Ali was getting ready to fight the wrestler, Inoki, from Japan. He was at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles doing a press conference in the boxing ring. I simply asked him what he would do if a wrestler did a fake punch at his head and shot for his leg to take him to the ground. He told me to step in the ring and demonstrate. The press pushed me between the ropes, and I found myself face to face with Ali. We were both in street clothes, and he had his hands up shuffling side to side using lateral footwork movements against me. I did a shoulder fake, which he reacted to, and shot for his leg. The instance I hooked his leg, I froze. I was too embarrassed to dump him on his butt. He bent forward and wrapped his arms around my waist, and I heard everybody in the place laugh. I picked him up, did a fireman’s carry takedown, dumping him on his back, and pinned him on the mat. Everybody grabbed me and pulled me off quickly. I jumped up, telling everybody we were just playing. Ali stood up next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. At the time, I was only about 180 pounds because I was pursuing acting not fighting, and my weight was really down. Ali’s first comment to me was, “You lifted weights when you were younger, didn’t you?” I’m sure he could tell I was extremely strong and hard as a brick. Then we did the same movement again, and I pinned him again a second time in a row. That’s when he showed me how he was going to fight Inoki with his back constantly against the ropes.
Source: Bruce Lee : The Divine Wind

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how about Mohammed Ali in his prime vs Mike Tyson in his prime? That would be an interesting fight to see.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just because you're bigger than the other guy or because you've got bigger hands than the other guy doesn't mean you will beat them in a fight.

Well, when the bigger guy with bigger hands is a professional fighter that actually won 56 of his 61 fights, it kind of makes a big difference....

Last edited:

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
True tyson did not achieve his full potential an awesome and extremely powerful boxer. Wasted his life away.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True tyson did not achieve his full potential an awesome and extremely powerful boxer. Wasted his life away.

Not quite true is it. Yes he got convicted for rape. Yes or no on whether he did it, is another discussion. You do however not include Don King. He contributed to Tysons downfall, and swindled him. Outside influence must not be forgotten. Yes, Mike Tyson still new what "no" meant, he evidently chose to ignore that. Don King though, had a part in that too. I make it clear, I am defending Tyson, I am just making a point that the likes of Don King, should never be allowed near a ring.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite true is it. Yes he got convicted for rape. Yes or no on whether he did it, is another discussion. You do however not include Don King. He contributed to Tysons downfall, and swindled him. Outside influence must not be forgotten. Yes, Mike Tyson still new what "no" meant, he evidently chose to ignore that. Don King though, had a part in that too. I make it clear, I am defending Tyson, I am just making a point that the likes of Don King, should never be allowed near a ring.

Don King is the epitome of a dirt bag.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bump "I not defending Tyson"

Latest Discussions