Is this a red flag?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Luckily, if you go 30 minutes out of the city to either Long Island or NJ, there are plenty of places that have no issue with a free lesson or two (or 3) because of the distinct lack of tourists.

I live in a suburb of Albany, NY and we don't have the foot traffic NYC has.

Several places have a $29.95 intro package, which includes uniform and 2-3 private lessons.

It all depends on what you're getting for the money and why you're being charged. While I agree paying for a trial class isn't the best thing, there's enough reasons to lead me to believe you shouldn't completely discount a school for it. You have to look at the whole picture.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It all depends on what you're getting for the money and why you're being charged. While I agree paying for a trial class isn't the best thing, there's enough reasons to lead me to believe you shouldn't completely discount a school for it. You have to look at the whole picture.
Being required to pay for lessons, even a trial class, is one thing. Not even being able to watch them practice once or twice is something else.

If they won't even allow you to watch a class or two quietly from the side, I say "pass" and go find something else.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I live in a suburb of Albany, NY and we don't have the foot traffic NYC has.

Several places have a $29.95 intro package, which includes uniform and 2-3 private lessons.

Very true, and if I knew it was good quality I would go. But considering the price change and the free intro outside, I don't see a reason to train in NYC, and wouldn't even if I lived there (about half an hour out currently). Especially since there isn't a significant drop in quality as you leave the city.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, they charge for the first class in general. There isn't an option for simple observation. And I'm finding myself agreeing. I'm incredibly interested in their tradition, but charging for a visitation? That seems questionable to me. Yes, in general, I could pay $25 without being pained, but it doesn't inspire confidence that the payment is necessary to begin with.

Doesn't sound good to me.

How and when do you pay? Do you pay the teacher right in the dojo before it begins or do you pay him afterwards?
Seems like a pretty awkward situation to me.

"You got the money?"
"Yes."
"Show me!"
"No, you show me first."
"No I won't."
"Yes, you will!"
"I'm your sensei, show some respect!"
"What if not?"
"I'll challenge you!"
"To a fight??"
"Yessssss!!"
"Awesome!"
"Wait! The fight's not free either."

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems like a good way for a school to waste a whole bunch of uniforms.

Or maybe they've done the math and figured they're retaining enough students to make it worth doing.

Or they figure if the person brings home a uniform, they're more likely to come back.

Or both.

I don't know; I don't run a dojo, and the one I attend doesn't do this. But dojos that have been around for a while may be run by people smarter than we think.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or maybe they've done the math and figured they're retaining enough students to make it worth doing.

Or they figure if the person brings home a uniform, they're more likely to come back.

Or both.

I don't know; I don't run a dojo, and the one I attend doesn't do this. But dojos that have been around for a while may be run by people smarter than we think.
It depends on the school whether this strategy works out or not. A small school with only one or two classes it might be worth sacrificing a few uniforms but for a larger school that doesn't charge exorbitant prices it might not be prudent. We have had a few students here and there take a couple of classes, pay a month's fees, buy a uniform and never be seen again.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or both.

The uniforms in these cases are pretty basic and cheap. And the cost probably comes back n on the annual contracts...

Latest Discussions