Is there any technique in TaeKwonDo you have a pet peeve with?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the day that we will use our MA skill to defend ourselves on the street, we will have shoes on. When we train kicking, should we train bare foot, or should we train with shoes on?

Some people may say that he just wants to train MA for sport (indoor environment). Should we set that unnecessary limitation to ourselves?
That really depends on where I'm at. If I'm at a beach or pool (or coming from them), I won't have shoes on. Same if I'm at someone's house/possibly a backyard. If your plain is to kick, and you plan to have your foot (versus just your shin) involved, you really should train both IMO. The same logic as why I encourage people to train in jeans sometimes, or with a hoodie on.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you really should train both IMO.
Agree! I find the "roundhouse kick with toes" is very difficult to do with cowboy boots on.

boots.jpg

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Twisting kick (bitureo chagi) - feels like there's not as much power in it as other available kicks and like a super unnatural position for the knee and hip (and as I've had surgery on both knees I'm really protective if I have to do unnatural positions). Fortunately it's not in Kukki-Taekwondo poomsae so I don't have to do it or demonstrate it often.

I personally find the outward crescent kick worse. At least with the twist kick, you're hitting in line with the knee. The outward crescent kick is across the knee, which is more dangerous and less powerful. I don't see much reason to use that over a hook kick. I'd rather pivot my hips at the apex and turn it into a hook kick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The outward crescent kick is across the knee, which is more dangerous and less powerful.
The outward crescent kick is a very important skill used in Chinese wrestling. You can use it to escape almost all low leg attack such as: foot sweep, shin bite, scoop, scoop kick, sticky kick, diagonal cut, outer hook, ...

You try to attack my leg. I move my leg out of your attacking path, and lead you into the emptiness. It has great value in defense.

outside-crescent-kick-1.gif

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The outward crescent kick is a very important skill used in Chinese wrestling. You can use it to escape almost all low leg attack such as: foot sweep, shin bite, scoop, scoop kick, sticky kick, diagonal cut, outer hook, ...

You try to attack my leg. I move my leg out of your attacking path, and lead you into the emptiness. It has great value in defense.

The problem though is the footwork that comes with it.

If I saw someone in that position the last thing I'd do is attack the leg. Their balance is so compromised I'd just lay into them.

And don't get me wrong, I've never practiced much wushu bit it looks like the faintest push would send them sprawling on their back.

Do you primarily use this a a balance recovery technique? Then I could see some use to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also don't have much use for that inverse round kick (sometimes called an inverted roundhouse) that I've seen a few clubs.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I personally find the outward crescent kick worse. At least with the twist kick, you're hitting in line with the knee. The outward crescent kick is across the knee, which is more dangerous and less powerful. I don't see much reason to use that over a hook kick. I'd rather pivot my hips at the apex and turn it into a hook kick.
If you are in an open stance and want to keep your stance open, outside crescent. A devastating counter to spins. If you are already closed stance and want to stay that way, hook kick. Often a skipping/sliding kick. Back leg works if you want to end up closed stance.
I think nearly everyone can make a higher kick with the crescent and it is easier. I agree it you are just swatting and not that worried about distance or penetration the hook kick is faster. But much harder to make good power without the spin.
I have seen a lot of people throw a crescent kick in form but turn their foot like a hook kick. Good/bad? I cannot really say. It definitely changes the recovery and post kick dynamics.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The motion to avoid a sweep? Good. As a kick? Not as happy with it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The motion to avoid a sweep? Good. As a kick? Not as happy with it.
The defense value of the outward crescent kick is higher than the offense usage of it. For offense, the hook kick is better than the outward crescent kick.

IMO, the harder that you kick with your outward crescent kick, the more pressure that you will put on your knee joint "side way". The hook kick doesn't have the "side way" knee movement issue.

The knee is to be moved forward and backward. If you try to move it side way, you will break it.

Last edited:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Agree. Pretty useless kick.
Dang really? This might be my favorite.
Lol I know people don't like it, but I've got 2 KOs with this kick.

When sparring Muay Thai I land this as a head kick all the time.
From a fake teep kick, or from a fake switch-low rh I can really whip this one up there.

I only started using it in Muay Thai though.
Against a side on stance I wouldn't even bother

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dang really? This might be my favorite.
Lol I know people don't like it, but I've got 2 KOs with this kick.

When sparring Muay Thai I land this as a head kick all the time.
From a fake teep kick, or from a fake switch-low rh I can really whip this one up there.

I only started using it in Muay Thai though.
Against a side on stance I wouldn't even bother

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Awesome! I will change my response to a useless kick for me. As others have said it is rough on the knees. I am not certain I ever have the mobility to do much with it.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Biggest pet peeve is teaching the 1 step sparring technique of defending a punch with a crescent kick.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry Sir, but I cannot at all agree with that idea.
In training, you use low stance because you want to continue your body spinning.

Beijing-belt-crack.gif

In application, you don't need to drop that low. The outward crescent kick doesn't need to be high. As log as it's high enough to let your opponent's sweeping leg yo pass under it.

- Your opponent uses right leg to sweep your leading left leg.
- You use left outward crescent kick to escape that foot sweep.
- You land your left leg behind your right leg. By using the same body rotation, you pull your opponent's right arm, shift weight onto your left leg, use your right leg to horse back kick your opponent's leading leg, and throw him.

Chang-leg-escape-1.gif

Last edited:

Latest Discussions