Open vs closed chamber for dolyo chagi - does it affect power in your experince?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Closed chamber is when your knee is raised straight up and turned over. Open is when there is a semi circular motion before the knee is in position and the leg is lashed out. Open chamber is often likened to a a male dogs hip position when peeing.

Have you noticed a difference in power depending on which type of chamber that is being used?

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, closed is faster, more deceptive and less powerful. Opened is more powerful, slower, and more telegraphed. Both are useful.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In general, closed is faster, more deceptive and less powerful. Opened is more powerful, slower, and more telegraphed. Both are useful.

How much of a difference in power is there in your estimation? Supposing you do everything else the same

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not much.

How do we characterize this one? He is not doing a front kick chamber, but there isn't that much of a circularity either.

Does this fall under the open chamber category nonetheless?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which kick? He throws more than one. And (not really a surprise) the chambers are slightly different as the position of his body and the target shifts slightly. They're all basically open chamber.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which kick? He throws more than one. And (not really a surprise) the chambers are slightly different as the position of his body and the target shifts slightly. They're all basically open chamber.

O:49. looks to me to be neither one.. kind of a middle ground

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So what? Doing things exactly the same every time is for forms. When positions of you and the target are changeable, so is your technique.

I was wondering if it was still under the open category.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
O:49. looks to me to be neither one.. kind of a middle ground
I have no problem with the lower body mechanics at 0.49. His upper body needs work. And the later kick where he takes the huge step to the side is just unrealistic. Very 'formal' as Dirty Dog said.
I really have no idea what you mean by open/closed chamber.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no problem with the lower body mechanics at 0.49. His upper body needs work. And the later kick where he takes the huge step to the side is just unrealistic. Very 'formal' as Dirty Dog said.
I really have no idea what you mean by open/closed chamber.

You'll understand when I show you.

Here is a closed chamber one:

1:07

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'll understand when I show you.

Here is a closed chamber one:

1:07

Okay I guess? That is a typical chamber. Slight stylistic differences but a typical chamber.

So what is your point? You have shown half of the question.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay I guess? That is a typical chamber.

Actually, it isn't. If you look at old Kukkiwon textbook chambers for dolyo chagi, they look completely differerent. So even in your style this is a relatively new thing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it isn't. If you look at old Kukkiwon textbook chambers for dolyo chagi, they look completely differerent. So even in your style this is a relatively new thing.
You do know it is incredibly transparent how you play multiple sides to form your answers don't you? Old vs. new? Dude you are all over the place.
FWIW, that would be an older KKW chamber or not KKW at all. Either way you lose.