Finding Quality Instruction

Paul Borst

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to solicit your opinion on finding quality martial arts instruction for self-defense and study. When you visit a school, what do you look for in an instructor that tells you it's someone you would like to study under?

Even if the instructor hasn't studied under someone famous, if their technique looks solid and their instruction is clear, I'm inclined to weigh that more heavily than if someone has impressive credentials but is less clear in their instruction. I'm reminded that being a good student doesn't always mean that someone is a good teacher.

Although there are several styles I'm interested in pursuing, I'd like to find quality instruction first and foremost. Any thoughts you have on what to look for or how to go about finding a quality instructor are greatly appreciated.

Paul

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and foremost with me is does he or she understand what they are teching or are they going thought he steps.
Second can the intelligentlyexplain the technique so everybody understands.
Last do they give the sense of family at there place or just about the money.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
instructor quality is more important than specific style.

instructor attitude is more important than instructor quality.

get a feel for the culture of the place. listen to what the instructors say and watch how they interact with the students. watch how the students act on the deck. watch how the green and brown belts move -- they'll be a good indicator of the quality of instruction.

and like terry said, see if the school has a sense of community and family about it. that's huge.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the past 2 comments above.

The fear of running into a McDojo scares us all!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess the most important thing was how they answer my questions. I was on the phone with the co-owner of my school for about 45 minutes. She listened to my concerns, I'm older, not in great shape, yadda yadda yadda, and answered with how her instructors have dealt with similar challenges in other students.

When I visited, I didn't know enough about Kenpo to be able to tell good execution from bad execution, so I looked at the class reaction instead. How well did they work together. Were they focused on learning or were they just goofing off. What kind of attention were the begginners getting.

Same with the instructor. How excited were they to be there. How did they address the class. What kind of tone did they use, what kind of words did they use. Do they use proper English or do they speak in slang. How did they react to a student having trouble. How focused were they on staying on track.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
the instructor should take the time to offer you an interview where he can ask about your background ,why you want to train in the M/A and tell you what he can do to help you if he feels that you can become a student at that school. ofere a week or at least one free class to both let you get a taste of how it is instructed and to see if the training is what you may be interested in to let you dedicate your training to. Then also to see how you react to training methods and interact with verbal instruction. A good instructor will not be a used car salesman. He will not try to sell you on his or her school as the place to train. He will offer information and evaluate you also to see if he can give the instruction you need and see if you can be the student he needs. It is a two way street When a instructor rushes to sighn up students He may be more interested in paying the bill and making money. Refured now days as the Mc dojo. In the past For my self. I have had up 2 hour interviews Then a private workout with the instructor then told to contact him a day or 2 later and he would tell me if he could instruct me. inwhich he did. But the point is a good instructor has a choice to Thats to be honest in excepting students And to honestly help those students learn and progress in that art.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I think its really a couple things.

All the above are excellent points, So let me add a couple more.

1) Let the class, instruction and atmosphere sell ya. If you see a pamplet, get your BS meter up and working. A real teacher loves to teach, he needs to eat but he knows if he teachs well there is no need to worry about selling you.

2) Feel out the energy of the students and place. IF it feels right in line with your own energy, thats a big indication.

3) Look at a lot of schools and dont sign anything until you are satisfied that you looked around.

Latest Discussions