Is Self Defense A Human Right? The UN Doesn't Think So.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
why is any one surprised that the UN would not think that self defense is a right??! they would not be for any thing that would allow the individual the liberty of saying no to them or the governments that make up the UN !

they , the UN diplomats would be the first to scream for their "right" of diplomatic immunity from a traffic ticket or civil suit! But, to think that you might have the Right to defend yourself from them or their agents whom they may send some where in the world to make you or others do what they want?? NEVER!! ( oh I can GUARANTEE YOU THAT THEY WILL STAND ON THEIR RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE IF YOU TRY AND ATTACK THEM! usually by way of their armed bodyguards shooting you I am sure. )

One more reason I have no use for the UN. they have become as big a joke in most ways as the old LEAGUE of NATIONS was in the very late 1920's and early 1930's.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

You know what? This thing's 2 years old and went nowhere, and it got drudged up again and is going nowhere, in neither case anywhere near the direction I was hoping, so as the thread starter (2 years ago) you have my permission to kill it( not that you need it).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody and everybody from another country who thinks that we shouldn't have our firearms because they allowed their's to be taken away. Mainly at the united nations and the countries that decided to create such a piece of crap as that which has been shown here on this thread. I was once asked if I was prejudiced, and I told the honest truth, no sir, I hate everybody equally. So take your pick on who it's aimed at.

Thank you for your answer. I ask because it is a post that is offensive and I have taken appropriate action as such.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This came up in another thread but I believe, this being a martial arts forum with a self defense subforum, that this would be a topic of interest.

The referenced document deals mainly with firearms, but this particular bullet point leapt out at me and I didn't like what I saw:

http://www.iansa.org/un/documents/salw_hr_report_2006.pdf

Quote:20. Self-defence is a widely recognized, yet legally proscribed, exception to the universal duty to respect the right to life of others. Self-defence is a basis for exemption from criminal responsibility that can be raised by any State agent or non-State actor. Self-defence is sometimes designated as a “right”. There is inadequate legal support for such an interpretation. Self-defence is more properly characterized as a means of protecting the right to life and, as such, a basis for avoiding responsibility for violating the rights of another.

Seeing this quote has for obvious reasons left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

Discuss.
The UN is mostly an organization for the defense of global bureaucracy and complete impotence in the face of true evil.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The UN is mostly an organization for the defense of global bureaucracy and complete impotence in the face of true evil.
More strongly worded that I would have chosen on this board, but true to an extent. True evil, so to speak, is unhindered by bureaucracy, while the UN, however well intentioned it's mission, is quite hindered by bureaucracy and of course, politics.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well the first problem that stands out to me is that anyone actually takes the useless nations....ermm united nations seriously.

Well, given that the US is a member nation, does that not technically make us one of the usless nations?:)

That is most corrupt pile of crap organization on the planet, worthless for the United States.

As for the corruption issue, well, perhaps we should look to corruption within our own government before concerning ourselves with the corruption of other governments. We have plenty in our own back yard to clean up.

Daniel

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The level of corruption frequently found in some of the 2nd and 3rd world member nations of the UN make any "issues" we have seem like small potatoes....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I do agree, Archangel, that really was not the point.

That is like saying that I do not need to deal with my weak points because students from the local McDojo are horrible by comparison.

Yes, there are countries that have much worse corruption issues than we do, but we still have some pretty glaring issues that do need to be addressed. Often, they are not because doing so...

A. requires one of our two corrupt parties to take ownership of things rather than blame things on eachother and...

B. it would require the majority of Americans to own up to how badly they have shirked their responsibility to be informed and active in the political process.

Most people are woefully uninformed and they pretty much just vote party line and that is the end of it. I have family that votes democratic because they are Irish Catholics. When I ask them why they go with a party who's platform violates the Catholic church's stances in many ways, they spout off about Bush and how the Dems are pro union. I am not busting on the Dems (I'm independent); just pointing out that these folks vote as they do just because their parents and grandparents did, not because they have put any cognizant thought into it. A good number of people I know are Republican for similar reasons.

Nothing wrong with being either a Democrat or a Republican, but people should be much more involved in the political process than they are. It is our responsibility as a free society with the right to elect our leaders.

The US is a wonderful country, but there is always room to improve and we still have a long way to go to reach the ideal that our country has the potential to be.

Until we get our own heads out of the sand and and stop assuming that we are better than everyone else just because we are American, we really should not be criticizing other nations.

Daniel

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im 50/50 with ya...you are dead on about the "political common sense" point. My folks (staunch Catholics) are almost carbon copies of yours..

However, the "lets take care of things at home first.." thing I typically dont buy. When will things EVER get to that point? Name a country who ever has lived up to that standard. While I cant fault you for your opinion because I dont really know it in its entirety, Ive always viewed that argument as the isolationist mantra used to avoid standing up for anything. If having to be perfect is required before being allowed to deem something as wrong...well I dont know where we can move forward from there.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I ask because it is a post that is offensive and I have taken appropriate action as such.

And again my point proven. Good job tez! Reminds me of a 5 year old. I'm telling mom you called me a doo-doo head. Get real dude. Grow up a little. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my post. It is an opinion and I did state it. If you feel that it is offensive that is your perogative. you must do what you feel is best, but I wonder....do you call a cop when your called an *******?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That will do, sir.

If you cannot behave like a civilised person, perhaps it is time to consider your involvement in discussions which are predicated on people behaving like such?

Do you wish to reconsider your tack on this, given that this forum does not tolerate excursions into the paths you seem driven to frequent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions