Is Radio Dead?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just read this article, and found it interesting. I have a degree in music, I have played guitar for more than 20 years. But when I get into my car, I listen to talk radio. Perhaps this article explains why.

Do you think broadcast music has a future? It may just be time for everybody to buy an IPod, and get on with it.

Thoughts?

Mike

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2004/07/clear_channels_.html

Listen to music on the radio much lately?
If you answered “no,” you’re in good company. Americans are listening to broadcasts -- especially of music -- much less frequently then they used to.

And with good reason, too: Stations which were once a way to discover new music have become bland sources of uniform playlists. At present, the heavy emphasis (or over-emphasis) is on hip hop; This comes after a long dalliance with insipid boy bands. Listeners left in droves.

S

Spud

My radio listening has dropped significantly since I picked up Sirrius Satellite radio (web streaming at my office also). Otherwise I still listen to about 45 minutes of news in the morning and 30 minutes more at night.

I can't stand FM, the play lists are too limited. Much rather spend $12 per month and not get the endless comercials and live coverage from car lots.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've stopped listening to the radio, aside from news - I usually listen to NPR and the BBC news over the web at the lab.

Most of the radio stations have such repetetive playlists on them! It's true. We need more small stations. When there are themed shows on, I'll sometimes listen to the local community radio - that's when I tend to hear something new and different.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hardly ever listen to the radio. In the UK, non-commercial radio (BBC channels) are generally crappy (unless you're over 40 and listen to Radio 4 and stuff... ;) ) and the adverts on the commercial radio stations just annoy me too much. So, I just play CDs in my car really.

When I was on holiday in America driving about, we didn't seem to be able to hold on to a radio station for more than about 2 songs anyway before it fizzled away! :) We managed to get KRock for about half an hour approaching LA and I think that was the record, so after that we gave up and jacked an MP3 player into the stereo!

Ian.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate listening to most radio stations.....As mentioned, stale playlists, endless commercials, and also deejays that operate in pairs and gab and joke endlessly as they somehow think people tune in ONLY to listen to them, not the music.
Luckily (for my taste) there is a local college-operated station near me that
is excellent and plays a variety of music (most of which I like) in different segments during the day. The deejays are knowledgeable and usually just give a quick comment on the background/history of the music they play.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in a vehicle 8 hours per day so I listen quite a bit...probably about 50/50 between radio and CD's. I have about 12 stations (rock, country, & oldies) that I skip through to avoit weight-loss and "quit smoking now" commercials. :)

Latest Discussions