Is my yellow belt certificate from 98 still valid?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was born in 89. What do you you guys think? I still have it. Same chief instructor and school.

I'm a red/brown belt in TaekwonDo as well.

Note that I have never done Shotokan-type free sparring, although I do have experience drilling that type of controlled striking. But that comes later anyway.

D

Deleted member 39746

Maybe, i think they generally assess it on how much you remmeber if you get back to doing it after a peroid of stoppage.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe, i think they generally assess it on how much you remmeber if you get back to doing it after a peroid of stoppage.

I don't remember anything but I do hold a red/brown belt in TKD with katas derived from Shotokan.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who cares about what rank you had when you were 10? Especially a rank where you don't remember anything you learned while earning it.

To be honest, I don't care what rank most people are. If you have skill or knowledge, or preferably both... thats what I care about. After that, I care about your ability to share that skill or knowledge. I don't really care what color thing you use to hold your pants up or who gave it to you. You either have the goods or you don't. They are not included with your belt.

One of the other things I don't personally care for... is folks "pulling rank" on each other. If thats your thing, why are you not part of the military? If you are not military, you just look kind of silly "pulling your rank" in front of people. I tend to find people to train with who can look beyond the belt or rank... at maybe the art.

But, if that will add to your resume... sure. I think its still valid. Most places go by once a rank, always that rank. So in a few years you can be 5th degree black belt, grand master in TKD and yellow belt in shotokan, when you were age 10.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was born in 89. What do you you guys think? I still have it. Same chief instructor and school.

Note that I have never done Shotokan-type free sparring, although I do have experience drilling that type of controlled striking. But that comes later anyway.

Sure I think the school will honor your certificate if you re-enroll and start you out at yellow if that is your question. Good luck!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

depends what you mean by valid, it wasnt valid in the first place, just a meaningless bit of paper

if you mean will the school honour it,, maybe, but id be ashamed to ask, but if wearing yellow belt is important to you , go for it, they can only laugh at your vanity

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I mean yeah probably but if you turn up wearing a high rank and remember absolutely nothing and the white belts know more than you then you’ll look a bit silly. If you are looking to restart anything just go in wearing a white belt and let them give you what they think you deserve. Better to be a high standard white belt than a awful higher belt

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So you are wondering if the certificate(s) you earned when you were 11 years old are still valid? My answer(s) would be Yes in the concept that you did earn them at one time. No, that you should use them as leverage to start back at a higher rank solely in lieu of a piece of paper. Many schools will let you wear the highest rank belt you earned and you would stay at that rank until you get up to speed on the curriculum. I have seen this be good for some bad for others. For most it works better to have the standard belt progression as goals to aim for. Markers for both student and instructor to know where a person it in their training. In a big(ger) school people wearing a belt that they are not ready for creates problems.
You have asked in and around this question endlessly. I would not expect my TKD red belt to carry much weight at a new Shotokan school.

C'mon man/woman, just go work out.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would not expect my TKD red belt to carry much weight at a new Shotokan school.
I would not expect my black belt to carry much weight around the dojo either... but after COVID shut our dojo down since March, my black belt is carrying more weight than I ever expected.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They want me in 9-4 kyu and the sparring group.

I'm gonna give it a go in january

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From memory a yellow in shotokan is about 6 months in anyway. I am not sure starting from scratch is that big a set back.

D

Deleted member 39746

Who cares about what rank you had when you were 10? Especially a rank where you don't remember anything you learned while earning it.

To be honest, I don't care what rank most people are. If you have skill or knowledge, or preferably both... thats what I care about. After that, I care about your ability to share that skill or knowledge. I don't really care what color thing you use to hold your pants up or who gave it to you. You either have the goods or you don't. They are not included with your belt.

One of the other things I don't personally care for... is folks "pulling rank" on each other. If thats your thing, why are you not part of the military? If you are not military, you just look kind of silly "pulling your rank" in front of people. I tend to find people to train with who can look beyond the belt or rank... at maybe the art.

But, if that will add to your resume... sure. I think its still valid. Most places go by once a rank, always that rank. So in a few years you can be 5th degree black belt, grand master in TKD and yellow belt in shotokan, when you were age 10.

it matterns in terms of qulifications, if no experiary date is listed or told to you, then its still apt. (until it expires) If you give it up for 5 years and remmeber the content they might give you a new cert and reinstate your belt if a expiary date exists. Maybe for all your belts, or up to the belt you remmeber.

In regards to cert, its you stating i know the content up to X level. that can aid in employment in related sectors or as a advisor to lowers. Not the end all be all, but it means you know their belts currcilem as you are higher so can help them to some degree.

In regards to employment, either as a MA teacher or secuirty job. (to mean either private or public) Doesnt eman your ****, just means you know this curccilem to suffcient degree to get the next belt.

I might know my maths GCSE, but they would still give me a test on maths ability if i needed one as its expired now. If i know it, no issue.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it matterns in terms of qulifications, if no experiary date is listed or told to you, then its still apt. (until it expires) If you give it up for 5 years and remmeber the content they might give you a new cert and reinstate your belt if a expiary date exists.
My belts don't have an expiration date on them. I looked, front and back. Sorry, but I do not know of any martial art whose ranks have expiration dates. Does anyone know of an art or organization that gives rank with an expiration date?

In regards to cert, its you stating i know the content up to X level. that can aid in employment in related sectors or as a advisor to lowers. Not the end all be all, but it means you know their belts currcilem as you are higher so can help them to some degree.
Knowing the first 6 months of the curriculum for 10 year old kids... wouldn't help out with employment much. Most of the time the instructors teaching the kids are masters or grandmasters or senseis... most of them know the adult curriculum to a very high level. But sure, add it to your resume. It won't hurt.

D

Deleted member 39746

My belts don't have an expiration date on them. I looked, front and back. Sorry, but I do not know of any martial art whose ranks have expiration dates. Does anyone know of an art or organization that gives rank with an expiration date?

All intents and purposes it can and might, thats your certificate of authenticity. All qualfiications have a effective expiary datte, some have a posted date.

Knowing the first 6 months of the curriculum for 10 year old kids... wouldn't help out with employment much. Most of the time the instructors teaching the kids are masters or grandmasters or senseis... most of them know the adult curriculum to a very high level. But sure, add it to your resume. It won't hurt.

Never said that would for the most part. It would help if he wanted to teach children MA, or teach his MA(to children). Its effectively worthless though. if you had a black belt in say X persons karate, and went to work as a security gaurd, it would more than definately help you, especially if X persons karate was respected in the area or generally respected as a good place to learn that. Actually any degree of belt above white would probbly aid to varying amounts, and a certificate of, evidence of partisicaption, and when you went (or if still active) and competency in it. (for the sake of the argument, there is no licesning requirment imposed by the government)

I also before writing this one, thought you were the OP. So i got halfway through the last post i did and went "wait a second, hes no the person i thought he was"

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree I have never seen someone's certificate with an expiration date. However, the math analogy summed up the point very well.
I use a lot of algebra and a good bit of calculus in my work. But I don't know that I could pass an upper level graduate school test without a little brush up and practice. Like a bicycle, you never fully forget how to ride but most people are rather wobbly on the seat after a long break from riding. All that is being said is than no one should expect to pick up right where they left off.

Most kids are taught by assistant instructors of lower rank and often by color belts. In most schools not a bad thing. Kids do test on the same curriculum most of the time but it is totally unrealistic to expect to hold kids to the same standards as adults. Gross skills, yes. But there will always be things kids just have not developed yet, in both the physical and mental/emotional realms. Conversely, there are tweeners that will far exceed adults in physical skills and even a few in mental/emotional skills.
Heck, there would be few kids practicing any MA's and fewer promoting through the ranks if they had to perform exactly as adults do.

D

Deleted member 39746

I just thought about this and seems important to my point to put in:

Qualifications become null with work expereince. If you needed a maths qual for this job 10 years ago and have worked it for 10 years, you working the job takes precidence and makes related qualifications redundent,as you have direct work experience and evidence.

Eg if i worked in networking for 10 years and needed a network cert that expired 2 years after i got my job, the 10 years would let me into any networking job pretty much. The other reasons are N/A to my point and topic currently.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It depends, mostly on the instructor. Example, I trained in a system while in Oklahoma, called Mong Su Dom and received an orange belt rank and was told it was for life.
The original system I trained in as a teenager in Washington, I received a brown. Then at 35, I returned and although the instructor remembered me, he required that I start at white, due to the changes in the system over the years.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure it's valid.

Latest Discussions