Is martial arts for me?

chexmix

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I resently found an intrest in martial arts and have been looking to join. But quite to my despair I am as you can say "out of shape." Not just a little but quite a bit. So should I wait to get in better shape before I join? Or would an art help me lose some weight? If so which art should I consider?

My main goal is to get in to Ninjutsu, but I guess that would be further down the road.

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whichever works best for you. Keep in mind, though, that most beginner programs take into account the probable lack of physical conditioning of their newest students. I wouldn't be worried. BTW, consider getting a thumbs up by your doctor before beginning MA or any exercise program after a long lay-off. Best wishes in the arts!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welcome to Martialtalk.
Many beginners are out of shape and most schools realise this and take it into accunt . It takes a little while to get used to the excersises and movements but I am sure if you keep at it you will do well

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Being in shape will definatly help on your journey through any martial art but it is not the be all and end all.
I study a reality based system and we dont do any physical training geared specifically for exercise. Instead you will find that just by studying your syllabus your body's shape will change according to the art that you have chosen to study.
My advice would be to jump in to ninjitsu and let the art take care of the fitness that you need.
Like the above poster said though, if you are really out of shape then speaking to a health professsional might be a good idea, but in saying that maybe a word with your instructor might help to ease your mind first.
Either way starting with the martial arts is THE best thing that you will ever do, if you commit to it.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
My main goal is to get in to Ninjutsu, but I guess that would be further down the road.

Thanks for the help.

First thing: Welcome to Martial Talk! You will find lots of information here and some great people.

Question I had was this: If Ninjutsu is high on your list of arts to study, why would it be further down the road? If there is a dojo close, go check it out. You may be pleasantly suprized. There is nothing "harder" in Ninjutsu than most other styles, and you don't have to have knowledge of another art in order to "get" Ninjutsu.

Try out as many different schools as you can in your area. Reguardless of style you chose, welcome to the world of Martial Arts, good luck on your journey. Don't wait until you "Get in better shape", or "lose weight" first, those things take time and it is easier to do both when you find an activity you enjoy, like a new martial art. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why wait??? I was a more than a little out of shape when I started, it got me flexible and started me on the road of weight loss and better health..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I resently found an intrest in martial arts and have been looking to join. But quite to my despair I am as you can say "out of shape." Not just a little but quite a bit. So should I wait to get in better shape before I join? Or would an art help me lose some weight? If so which art should I consider?

Thanks for the help.

First off, Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

The Martial Arts will provide you with some good fitness. Running through the warmups and the material, you should eventually notice a difference. Of course, the more you do outside of the arts, is always a plus. Joining a gym and of course working on a healthy diet will help get rid of those extra lbs.

Good luck on your search.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and for the record almost every single person is out of shape before starting MA so go ahead jump in and begin your training you will be glad you did.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Lots of people say they'll start (or re-start) MA once they're in shape - those are the people instructors never see. If you have any specific health concerns - long-term injury, disability, asthma, etc. - discuss them with the instructor when you start, but don't let being out of shape or having some other difficulty keep you from starting; a good instructor will work with you, and a bad instructor won't - letting you know from the beginning if you should be with that instructor or not. Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Cxmx---good to have you with us.

See your doctor and get checked out---that's a must. After you get the green light, visit some schools in your area, sit in on a few classes to get the feel of the place, the tone of the interaction between the instructors and the students, and follow your instincts---and avoid signing any pricey contracts. Once you find a school which teaches an art you like the look of, has a curriculum that covers the ground you want covered, and reflects mutual respect between teachers and pupils, get into it!

One thing that may help get you into shape faster: do homework. If you spend a couple of hours a week in class, say, spend the same amount of time working on techniques at home---practicing kicks, or flow from technique to technique, any patterns that the art makes use of, and so on. Fifteen minutes a day isn't much---but do that six days a week and you have two and a half hours of workout on top of your two hours in class. Not only will that help you move ahead in your training, but your fitness will improve dramatically. Slow and steady, and in six months you'll probably feel as though you've been given a brand-new body... good luck with your training! :)

OP
C

chexmix

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys!

I guess I will be looking in to schools around my area. Any tip on how to find them?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys!

I guess I will be looking in to schools around my area. Any tip on how to find them?

Where you located? There are a vast number of people on this forum, and I am sure there is somebody that might be able to point you in a direstion to start. If not, Google your area and narrow the search to include Martial Arts

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys!

I have had good luck using google maps. Try something like "martial arts near HOME" or substitute any style. Thats worked well for me. Talking to locals helps too.

OP
C

chexmix

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in Canyon country, Ca
or
Santa Clarita, Ca

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I must say that I am with Jonathan Randall on a point he made. You need to go to the doctor and get checked out before you start any exercise program. I am with everyone else when I say that if you want to take ninjutsu, go for it. But don't count out other styles. Go visit and see how they fit into your martial goals.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
ChexMix, Did a quick search and found this Ninjutsu dojo. I don't know how far this is, but it is a start. They would be able to help you find something closer if they are too far. http://www.bujinkanlosangeles.net/index.php

Go to winjutsu.com and they have a list of Bujinkan schools in each state. their link is http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html Don't forget to check out schools that are close, but a different style you are thinking of. You very well may find a school that just feels like "home" and suits you very well in both style and "feel". Good luck once again.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can always benefit from martial arts training. But if you are looking at it as a means of weight loss/physical fitness, you have to exercise and diet in addition to it. Few martial arts (note I didnt say ALL) have enough time to give you a thourough workout long enough and consistant enough to get you in physical shape. At least the way we do it here in the US.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can always benefit from martial arts training. But if you are looking at it as a means of weight loss/physical fitness, you have to exercise and diet in addition to it. Few martial arts (note I didnt say ALL) have enough time to give you a thourough workout long enough and consistant enough to get you in physical shape. At least the way we do it here in the US.

Very good point!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get into the martial arts now. Don't delay! It'll start you exercising and hopefully the results of that will encourage you on your diet too.

OP
C

chexmix

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! All this has been very helpfull. But I guess I ran out of luck with the ninjutsu schools close to me. I have been looking all day and there are none in my area. So I guess I will have to look for a different art. What is the closest art to ninjutsu? I guess when I can drive I will be able to go some where else. But for now I will have to find some thing else. Any ideas?

Latest Discussions