Is martial-art study a good choice?

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely, and for any age. A youngster can learn judo, taekwondo, karate, and a older person can learn taichi to get things in motion. As a matter of fact, any exercise is better than no exercise, obviously. Modern martial-arts are not strictly combat arts as they were along time ago- many martial arts stress harmonization with mankind, and don't advocate violence

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, and for any age. A youngster can learn judo, taekwondo, karate, and a older person can learn taichi to get things in motion. As a matter of fact, any exercise is better than no exercise, obviously. Modern martial-arts are not strictly combat arts as they were along time ago- many martial arts stress harmonization with mankind, and don't advocate violence

Why do you keep downplaying the link between martial arts and violence? Why isn't learning to protect yourself considered a valuable skill? Why is learning a "combat art" a bad thing? If I had to choose time between practicing something that would allow me to protect myself or win a fight should one come my way versus getting good at putting a ball in a goal/basket/hole, why wouldn't I choose the former?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts has violence involved in it. Anyone who tries to remove the violence from it will go nowhere.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
What was that? I seen white belts spar better than that.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just when it comes as cool to be a traditional MAist again, these guys had to come along and ruin it for us all over again.

Lucky for me every dojo have been to a black really means something and takes years to achieve.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
many martial arts stress harmonization with mankind, and don't advocate violence
MA can be as simple as:

- fist meets face, and
- head meets ground.

It looks pretty violence to me.

fist_meets_face.jpg

head_into_ground.jpg

Latest Discussions