Is Kung Fu really a martial art?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu San Soo has a belt system. I'm white, and although I do generalize quite a bit I can dance and jump extemely well. And pretty dam good looking I might add.

I'm better looking but you probably have me on the jumping ability and dancing. But the more liquor I drink the better dancer I become (in my mind anyways). :D

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm better looking but you probably have me on the jumping ability and dancing. But the more liquor I drink the better dancer I become (in my mind anyways). :D

What a coincidence, the more liquor I drink the better looking and, generally speaking, the more charming I get!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I have you all beat, even Qui Gon. Because unlike the rest of you, I actually look like Qui Gon Jin! Can't do that without being white, Irish, and bearing a resemblence to Liam Neeson.:D
Neeson.jpg

Well, my avatar isn't large enough to see it. I'll post a better pic later.

Daniel

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A BELT system? I've heard of kung fu having sashes but not belts. The only "kung fu" that I've heard having belts is Shaolin Do which is a bogus art. All the kung fu schools I know wear sashes.

Sorry, but you are off the mark here... the typical "sash system" is just a modern CMA adaptation of the Japanese Judo/Karate "belt system". Traditional Chinese martial arts (just like the old Okinawan Te, for that matter) used neither belts nor sashes to indicate rank. The modern adoption of a colored belt or sash system is just a useful way to grade students in larger schools and organizations.

Now about the OP. I think it was very astute. I'm White (well actually speckled beige, but close enough), I like to make sweeping generalizations, and to reference Mook Jong Man's post, I can't dance or jump worth a damn. Sadly, sometimes stereotypes are true.

As far as Kung-fu goes, I apply it to everything. Ah Leong, for example, is a great kung-fu master. I believe he has been deeply influenced by the Yixing style. However, he is not a martial artist. He is a ceramic-artist, and Yixing is known for its unique style of pottery!

BTW I do practice a martial "kung fu" style... Wing Tsun. And if done well it is both kung-fu and a martial art. Done poorly, ...well like anything else, it's garbage!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I have you all beat, even Qui Gon. Because unlike the rest of you, I actually look like Qui Gon Jin! Can't do that without being white, Irish, and bearing a resemblence to Liam Neeson.:D

Whoa... I'm impressed, and a bit jealous. That's almost as good as being Asian!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you! Best thing is, I was spared having my look alike's image used in either Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith.:D

Now, if I can only grow out the hair...

Daniel

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, but you are off the mark here... the typical "sash system" is just a modern CMA adaptation of the Japanese Judo/Karate "belt system". Traditional Chinese martial arts (just like the old Okinawan Te, for that matter) used neither belts nor sashes to indicate rank. The modern adoption of a colored belt or sash system is just a useful way to grade students in larger schools and organizations.

Truth... end of line.

Now about the OP. I think it was very astute. I'm White (well actually speckled beige, but close enough), I like to make sweeping generalizations, and to reference Mook Jong Man's post, I can't dance or jump worth a damn. Sadly, sometimes stereotypes are true.

Truth... but not everybody likes the feeling of of said truth applied like the proverbial 2x4 to the head. Also there are the exceptions to each rule (or sweeping generalized stereotype).

As far as Kung-fu goes, I apply it to everything. Ah Leong, for example, is a great kung-fu master. I believe he has been deeply influenced by the Yixing style. However, he is not a martial artist. He is a ceramic-artist, and Yixing is known for its unique style of pottery!

Have to look this up... sounds different.

BTW I do practice a martial "kung fu" style... Wing Tsun. And if done well it is both kung-fu and a martial art. Done poorly, ...well like anything else, it's garbage!

Truth again...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A BELT system? I've heard of kung fu having sashes but not belts. The only "kung fu" that I've heard having belts is Shaolin Do which is a bogus art. All the kung fu schools I know wear sashes.

Funny, I use to say the same thing about any kung fu school that had a sash rank too since not one traditional CMA school I have ever trained in had any ranks at all. But I have since learned this rank thing in CMA is all done for us westerners anyways

Note to self: I need to call Kidswarrior and inform him that we've trained in a bogus art all these years.

DAMN the things you learn on MT :D

We have no belts, ranks OR sashes so I am guessing were more bogus than you :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neeson.jpg

Well, my avatar isn't large enough to see it. I'll post a better pic later.

Daniel

Hey Dan,
How do you know I'm not Liam Neeson?
icon12.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a CMA practitioner, I always use the term sash instead of belt, and I always use the name of my style, not just kung fu.

Aside from the obvious faux pas of "is Kung Fu a martial art", my first question to someone who actually said this would be, "In what style?"

Exactly the answer I was going to give :tup:.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh i know that there were no belts or sashes originally. I was speaking about schools mainly outside of China. Just never saw a Chinese school have belts. Thats all I was saying. :)

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone today said they had a black belt in kung fu, which I previously thought was just a white term for a martial art, since you know, white people tend to generalize quite a bit. I'm really used to ignorant people calling any sort of martial art kung fu, and I have even seen some dojos advertise that they teach kung fu, but I had just brushed them off as idiots. Anyways, is kung fu really a martial art?

I think your question has been answered on this thread. I have noticed you started other threads, and have never responded back to any of them. Are you still out there? Like I tell our students, give me something back. Let someone know you're getting or understanding any of this.

This site is filled with well rounded, knowledgable, and experienced people who take the time to answer your questions. Don't you think you should acknowledge what they're saying? Maybe you should do some research before starting anymore threads and then contribute in a constructive way. I for one am very appreciative of the wealth of knowledge here.

Sorry, different tangent here. Thought it had to be said.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
the simple answer to your question is : YES and a VERY EFFECTIVE ONE if done properly.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu "basically" means hard work.

Xue Sheng - but I thought the term kung fu also meant more than just "hard work". And of course need not strictly be only applied to martial arts. I thought if someone displayed exceptional skill in something then one could say "hey, that's good kung fu". And that this could be used in day to day action and not just MA related?? Or does it still just imply they must have put in a lot of "hard work" to get to that level?

I get this from comments made by my old WC sifu (from HK) and also friends from Taiwan. My sifu was talking about a guy who had tripped on the street but did a great recovery and rolled to his feet without hurt and my sifu said something like "hmm, good kung fu".

??

Oh hang on, I've just looked above and I think Jade Dragon may answer this and is saying something about being "skillful in anything"??

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kung Fu "basically" means hard work.

Xue Sheng - but I thought the term kung fu also meant more than just "hard work". And of course need not strictly be only applied to martial arts. I thought if someone displayed exceptional skill in something then one could say "hey, that's good kung fu". And that this could be used in day to day action and not just MA related?? Or does it still just imply they must have put in a lot of "hard work" to get to that level?

I get this from comments made by my old WC sifu (from HK) and also friends from Taiwan. My sifu was talking about a guy who had tripped on the street but did a great recovery and rolled to his feet without hurt and my sifu said something like "hmm, good kung fu".

??

Oh hang on, I've just looked above and I think Jade Dragon may answer this and is saying something about being "skillful in anything"??

This would be why I said "basically" :D

It can be applied to more than martial arts.

I was going more for the calling Chinese martial arts Kung Fu is a misunderstanding and that it is, at elast to a northerner, Wushu. And that if you work hard at Chinese martial arts that is more along the lines of you use Kung Fu to practice Wushu. But you could just as easily use Kung Fu to make Dim Sum