Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor physical condition has plenty to do with it. If you can’t take a little ribbing, you shouldn’t post videos. I’m joking. Is this martial arts talk or snowflake story time?
You might want to take another look at the site banner. A key word is "friendly" and you'll find that in the TOS here as well.
Just be nice. Doesn't seem that much to ask...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor physical condition has plenty to do with it.
I'd have some technical critiques of the form demonstrated in the video, if anyone asked. (No one has, so I'll keep those to myself for now.) However I would caution against judging a martial artist based just on their weight.

This guy ...
RoyNelsonBelly.jpg

...certainly seems to be more flabby and overweight than the gentleman in the video you were commenting on. It didn't keep him from having a successful career at the highest levels of MMA, with wins over some of the best fighters in the world. I'd venture to say that he could teach some useful things to just about anybody on this forum.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd have some technical critiques of the form demonstrated in the video, if anyone asked. (No one has, so I'll keep those to myself for now.) However I would caution against judging a martial artist based just on their weight.

This guy ...
View attachment 27359
...certainly seems to be more flabby and overweight than the gentleman in the video you were commenting on. It didn't keep him from having a successful career at the highest levels of MMA, with wins over some of the best fighters in the world. I'd venture to say that he could teach some useful things to just about anybody on this forum.
He certainly can rock and roll. Isn't he a black b belt in BJJ as well?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, I am sincerely sorry for my comment. I regret ever posting it. I apologize to the gentleman in the video, and any other person who was offended. It was a poor attempt at a joke, nothing more.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

This guy ...
View attachment 27359

The literal embodiment of Shaolin.

Have you seen him lately? The training has actually reversed his aging process.

This picture is fake but worth it.

1634263402469.png

Last edited:

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would say it's a bad idea to use boxing in a street fight. In my estimation, boxing is probably the martial art with the highest representation among those that have been successfully used in street fights. The hoods and barrios all over the country, where street fights are most likely to happen? That's where the boxing gyms are. The most effective untrained fighters who scrap on the streets? The way they fight most closely resembles boxing. In my opinion, boxing is the one martial art that can never be overrated.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would say it's a bad idea to use boxing in a street fight. In my estimation, boxing is probably the martial art with the highest representation among those that have been successfully used in street fights. The hoods and barrios all over the country, where street fights are most likely to happen? That's where the boxing gyms are. The most effective untrained fighters who scrap on the streets? The way they fight most closely resembles boxing. In my opinion, boxing is the one martial art that can never be overrated.
This is not bad logic by virtue of how many boxing gyms there are. Probably one of the least expensive striking styles to practice out there. A heavy bag or speed bag and some gloves.
Ring excluded of course.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm kind of sick of self defense "experts" telling people boxing is bad for self defense. Its one of the oldest styles of combat after wrestling (of any kind) that has stood the test of time. I've also only been KO'd by a strike twice in my life: once was an accidental elbow strike from my instructor (Long story short, we ended up back to back, he turned with his guard up and one arm slightly raised, I turned with my head first right into his elbow) and the other was an amateur boxer with a natural talent and a bad temper and no sense of humor. He didn't have gloves on so maybe his hand hurt but I promise you my whole everything hurt way worse than his hand. Punching, when done properly, is effective. No technique is without risk.

also, if the guy in this video was the coach/instructor for the course you may want to check his credentials. His technique seems very sloppy and untested like someone who got all of their training exclusively from a bargain bin book.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in your hand? I contacted a self defense instructor and told him I wanted to take boxing lessons for self defense. He responded there are to many small delicate bones in the hand to be punching an assailant in a life or death situation and that it is not uncommon at all for even professional boxers to break there hands during fights even when they are wrapped and gloved. So he said that it be reckless and irresponsible for him to teach me boxing for self defense and put me in a situation where I could lose my life based on what he teaches.

And then he referred me to this youtube video for an alternative to hitting with boxing punches. What do you think?

Boxing and or Muay Thai is the best for self defense against untrained people on your feet. Anyone who isn't training westsrn boxing is missing out on what is the most realistic and visceral response to aggression.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxing and or Muay Thai is the best for self defense against untrained people on your feet. Anyone who isn't training westsrn boxing is missing out on what is the most realistic and visceral response to aggression.
I don't know man, I think the 100 meter dash might be the most realistic and visceral response to aggression for many 😄😄

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, everyone has an opinion.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking of opinions, I’ll go ahead and share mine.

Of course boxing can be an effective method of self defense. Anyone saying otherwise doesn’t know much.

I’m no boxer, but I have an observation to make and it seems that in six pages of discussion, the real issue hasn’t been addressed. Boxers use wraps and gloves to protect their hands. This makes sense because they pound on a heavy bag and on pads a lot, and they need to keep their hands safe so they don’t disrupt their career with an injury. This holds true for training and for competition. The hands and wrists are wrapped for support, and they wear gloves for further protection of the hand.

The problem is, the wraps and gloves change the structure of the fist and can hide minor flaws in technique and protect the hand from injury during a punch that, had the fist not been wrapped and gloved, would have caused an injury. So if a boxer ALWAYS uses wraps and gloves, they may never realize there are flaws in their technique, and furthermore they may never develop the conditioning to withstand the impact without that protection. So if they ever need to punch someone in self defense, without that protection, without wraps and gloves, it is possible they may land the punch with poor alignment and poor fist structure, and they end up with a broken hand.

The obvious solution is to spend time hitting heavy bags and pads without wraps and gloves. Do it bare-handed, learn what it feels like to punch without protection, understand the alignment and how little errors can lead to injury on impact. Understand that you likely cannot punch as hard without that protection, without risking injury. Develop the conditioning to handle a bare-knuckle punch.

So this isn’t a problem with boxing, but rather a problem with the likely training habits of competitive boxers. Those training for competition will follow the best practices to that end, and of course that makes sense. But that may not be the best training approach for self defense on the street. Of course this isn’t difficult to overcome with the addition of even occasional practices to deal with those issues.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxing really is a skill and is a martial art. Goes back also to Greek, Roman times. I considered myself a pretty good fighter on the cobbles(street) but i really learned Boxing in the Military. My first sparring i was hit constantly, so i learned how not to be hit and counter. was an eye opener for me to experience how skilled even amatuer boxing is. The fitness training alone and diet was hard. Running in snow in tracksuit & army boots over Tank ranges. raw and brutal no fancy ****.

Latest Discussions