Boxing Then vs Now

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fear I disagree and agree with both of you. ;-) The various videos I have seen up of "bare knuckle boxing" is indeed just unsanctioned modern boxing. And I have seen footage where they were wearing regular boxing gloves and it looked like any other boxing bout. Now, this is not to say it is necessarily "good" boxing! But it is not the bare knuckle boxing of John L Sullivan's day. They are not using the techniques and methods of "old school boxing" that existed before modern boxing. This is simply modern boxing without gloves. And most of these guys wouldn't stand a chance against a pro boxer.

Boxing overall is not what it was, whether with or without gloves. Pro boxers aren't the standard they used to be and modern bareknuckle is just boxing without gloves despite people trying to make it out that because it's 'underground' it's more authentic, more tough, more real. It's not, it's just boxing that is unsanctioned by the official ruling bodies. It's not illegal as I said so not 'underground'. It's the betting part that's illegal. There's plenty of unlicensed boxing with gloves as well going on. We have boxing bouts in the cage as well alongside kick boxing and MMA. the standard varies from good to dire. Some of the licensed boxing is pretty dire as well though.
The travellers like the bareknuckle because it seems more macho and they don't like anything that is licensed anyway or at least anything they may have to pay taxes on, though there are two traveller pro boxers who fought recently amid a lot of smack talk.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing overall is not what it was, whether with or without gloves. Pro boxers aren't the standard they used to be and modern bareknuckle is just boxing without gloves despite people trying to make it out that because it's 'underground' it's more authentic, more tough, more real. It's not, it's just boxing that is unsanctioned by the official ruling bodies. It's not illegal as I said so not 'underground'. It's the betting part that's illegal. There's plenty of unlicensed boxing with gloves as well going on. We have boxing bouts in the cage as well alongside kick boxing and MMA. the standard varies from good to dire. Some of the licensed boxing is pretty dire as well though.
The travellers like the bareknuckle because it seems more macho and they don't like anything that is licensed anyway or at least anything they may have to pay taxes on, though there are two traveller pro boxers who fought recently amid a lot of smack talk.

That I agree with, especially the heavyweight division. Not many fights like this anymore.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nor like this one. Gotta' love heavyweight slugfests.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may well have been seen already and is 27 minutes. It is compelling viewing though, and some of it quite profound. If you have time, worth a watch IMHO.

Interesting to see the confined space they fight in. I'm sure that changes the game as it negates most footwork.

If you're going to fight bareknuckle rules, I'd love to see someone do it under the old pre-Marquis of Queensbury rules. Throws and takedowns were permitted, but no groundfighting. Instead of rounds, you had falls - the action goes until one fighter gets knocked down or thrown. Once that happens, they have a limited time to stand back up and toe the line or else lose the match.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see the confined space they fight in. I'm sure that changes the game as it negates most footwork.

If you're going to fight bareknuckle rules, I'd love to see someone do it under the old pre-Marquis of Queensbury rules. Throws and takedowns were permitted, but no groundfighting. Instead of rounds, you had falls - the action goes until one fighter gets knocked down or thrown. Once that happens, they have a limited time to stand back up and toe the line or else lose the match.

Really. Interesting format. Where I am and work, there is a boxing instructor called Nigel Sayers. Now I know that a relative was a bare knuckle champion. Whether that was Tom Sayers I am not sure, but I will ask him when I see him next. Perhaps I have been a little fervent in my belief that bare knuckle should not be counted as boxing. Really is interesting stuff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling Mr. Lawson! if anyone can, could you ask him nicely to come and talk to us on this? His input would be invaluable.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling Mr. Lawson! if anyone can, could you ask him nicely to come and talk to us on this? His input would be invaluable.

That would be in regards to that thread with the image of the different forms?, moves. Pretty certain I posted in there, but can't remember when.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, talking of then and now, Nigel Benn is my all time favourite English middleweight. I like boxers obviously, but I tend to lean towards the punchers. Turn up, beat the wotsit out of them, display great heart. For me the seminal moment was against Gerald McClellan. Oh my, what a fight that was. I remember watching it and quickly fearing the worst in the first round. But he got up and prevailed. The tragedy of the end result was GC suffered dearly. Sustained a blood clot and rendered disabled. I checked Wiki tonight and despite appalling injuries to his senses, in 2007 he managed to walk with a cane. Not much else after that, but I continue to wish him well. I have always kind of wondered if Nigel Benn had an advantage with being ex forces. British Army training is top notch as the world knows. Well rather than the Dark Destroyer, I monikered him the Machine Gun Benn. Seemed quit apt.

The full fight with commentry with an apearence from the legendary Barry McGuigan. I know being a forum most are just browsing, but if you lot have some time, watch on Youtube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My shift partner before I retired was in the army with Nigel Benn. Army boxing isn't that good, there's a lot of pride involved lol with the regiments competing against each other. The benefit of being in the forces is not the military training but the fact that if you are really good at something you will be allowed to just train and compete because it looks good on the recruiting side. Though over the past few years with the redundancies and Afghan you would have to be capable of being picked for your country now before you get any special treatment.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Army boxing isn't that good

Makes sense then, Nigel Benn is a natural puncher, which I knew anyway. Lets face it, he was not a great boxer, just pace, power and precision. Can't argue against that. That is just my take on it. If you go in heavy and breach that defence. you have won. That was just so pleasing to see.

.There's a lot of pride involved lol with the regiments competing against each other. The benefit of being in the forces is not the military training but the fact that if you are really good at something you will be allowed to just train and compete because it looks good on the recruiting side. Though over the past few years with the redundancies and Afghan you would have to be capable of being picked for your country now before you get any special treatment.

Yeah I can't post what I feel, but yeah, that is messed up.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I really want to watch this?

Of course you do, it's honest competitive boxing! Look at the audience though and you will see the officers there in their mess dress, shouting in posh voices. :) Watch for the Paras, always mad.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course you do, it's honest competitive boxing! Look at the audience though and you will see the officers there in their mess dress, shouting in posh voices. :) Watch for the Paras, always mad.

In my experience you are mad. Worked with a RAF current. Worked with a Squaddie, You are all mad :)

Latest Discussions