Has your club stopped using head gear?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was determined that head gear does not ease chock trauma to the brain and actually induces more impacts due to the greater target area that catches punches which might miss without gear. Also the psychological effect of false security was shown to be detrimental for defense.

"the International Boxing Association, known as A.I.B.A., decided in 2013 to eliminate the guards for amateur male boxers in international tournaments because it had concluded that the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries. In effect, the association concluded, there were two problems.
One was that the head guards created a bigger target for boxers, who in turn attempted more head blows. The other was that the gear was giving boxers a false sense of security.

As a result Olympic Boxing is banning head gear.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are talking about a 7 year old article. Headgear ineffectiveness applies mainly to really, really hard strikes. Most headgear are still rated to reduce impact around 50%. Plus the helps with cuts and scrapes. So especially for daily practice the pros far outweigh the cons.
Yes we still use WT approved headgear.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You are talking about a 7 year old article. Headgear ineffectiveness applies mainly to really, really hard strikes. Most headgear are still rated to reduce impact around 50%. .

I posted my question in the Boxing forum. I don't care what you do in your TAkewondo club.

"the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries"

And the decision still stands. Why would Boxing club not update itself according to the sport? They train for the sport only.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted my question in the Boxing forum. I don't care what you do in your TAkewondo club.

"the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries"

And the decision still stands. Why would Boxing club not update itself according to the sport? They train for the sport only.
The thinking comes from modern pugilism. Thinking that the contact would lighten up in the amateur ranks. It doesn't appear that this thinking has worked well in either sport.
Watch videos of boxers practicing in the gym and you will see them wearing headgear. Just make sure it is a current video. And before you counter, Yes, I am certain you can find videos of people with and without headgear.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We use headgear in our club, never heard of it not protecting the head
Obviously, we only use headgear when we spar, and when we're finished we take it off. I've seen one club that keeps their headgear on even in the warmups. I mean, what can happen? You land on your nose after a wrongly timed superman pushup? Headgear doesn't even protect the nose.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where I'm currently training at for Muay Thai we never use head gear for sparring as we never go full blast.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a girl who has stopped wearing headgear after she got concussion.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Obviously, we only use headgear when we spar, and when we're finished we take it off. I've seen one club that keeps their headgear on even in the warmups. I mean, what can happen? You land on your nose after a wrongly timed superman pushup? Headgear doesn't even protect the nose.
Starface will protect the nose.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It was determined that head gear does not ease chock trauma to the brain and actually induces more impacts due to the greater target area that catches punches which might miss without gear. Also the psychological effect of false security was shown to be detrimental for defense.

"the International Boxing Association, known as A.I.B.A., decided in 2013 to eliminate the guards for amateur male boxers in international tournaments because it had concluded that the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries. In effect, the association concluded, there were two problems.
One was that the head guards created a bigger target for boxers, who in turn attempted more head blows. The other was that the gear was giving boxers a false sense of security.

As a result Olympic Boxing is banning head gear.
I agree totally! If I was teaching again, young people headgear just to keep the scraps and scratches off. You want to eliminate head trauma in football? Put those leather helmets back on like the 30s and 40s. Your helmet couldn't be used as a weapon.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree totally! If I was teaching again, young people headgear just to keep the scraps and scratches off. You want to eliminate head trauma in football? Put those leather helmets back on like the 30s and 40s. Your helmet couldn't be used as a weapon.
I think if you are training for a sport such as Olympic Boxing ..etc then headgear is best. However i do also think that there are times when you need to train without to feel a punch & to be able to take some punishment which you will on the streets (if you are only training for sport then ok headgear). Looka at Bare knuckle boxers who still fight in the UK.
Sports like Tae Kwon Do i unerstand though as some head kicks are very powerful.
depends on your goals in my opinion.

Latest Discussions