Is it important to prepare for the martial arts?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say just jump in, the training alone should get you into better shape. I work out on a fairly regular basis with both weights and cardio, but the training in the dojo/dojang is something different. It hits different muscles and taxes you cardio wise that you don't normally get from other workouts.

That's right. There is a difference between the endurance type of cardio that you get with a marathon versus the stop-start/explosive cardio employed in martial arts. Running at a consistent speed won't prepare you as well for martial arts as would an intense game of basketball. Why? Because in basketball, you have that stop-start motion.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is one reason why you DO JOIN martial arts, it helps you get fit and flexible.

one thing you could do before your first class BASIC STRETCHES, don't come up with expectations just stretch whenever possible you will improve over time. as long as you at least try to improve that is better than nothing, and don't try to go past what your limit is(practice will eventually fix that too)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are not in shape and want to take up martial arts, is it good idea to at work out a couple of weeks to get your cardio up, lose
a couple a couple and have better flexibility before starting your class or just jump in?

We can't suggest to someone to come back in a few weeks, months, etc, after they're in better shape, so most likely, the best route to go would be to advise them that this is a strenuous activity, and to start off slow. Gradually, they'll get in shape.

I'll use myself as an example: 20+yrs in Kenpo, worked out in the gym, cardio, etc., so I felt I was in fairly good shape. After leaving Kenpo, and going over to Kyokushin, my teacher told me to take a few trial classes, to see if it was something I'd like, as it was very hard, and not for everyone. He wasn't kidding! LOL! Of course, going in, I'm thinking, "Well gee, how hard can it be?" A 1hr. class, and I was thinking, "Holy ****! What the hell did I get myself into?" 20min into the class! Obviously, the more classes I went to, combined with continuing to work out on my own, certain helped.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may be true that after you have had

- good education,
- good job,
- lot of money saved in the bank,

when you date a girl, you will have better chance to make her to be your wife. The question is, are you willing to wait?

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have to start somewhere. Just jump in and do what you can. Ask your instructor for things you can do outside of class to help you improve areas that need work. At a good school, everyone will encourage and assist to help you improve.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A person should prepare first. They should read everything they can on Martial Arts, then see every Martial arts movie ever made. Then join a fitness club - preferably one where they don't actually have to go and pay in person, but rather have it deducted from their bank account. Buy a t-shirt from this gym. Then, start walking, a block at first, then a block and a half. Do this for three months, eventually walking past a dojo. (walk quickly so they won't see you) Then stroll past, eventually stopping and looking right in that window, the one with all the trophies in it. (Wear that t-shirt you bought so they'll know you're serious.)

Then - join forums, get a tattoo and a cool hat. NOW a person is ready to train in Martial Arts. Maybe.

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd say don't wait so long that it becomes pointless. Saying i'll go when i get into shape is just pointless as it is never really a reachable point until you want it to be. I'd recommend doing one of two things either set yourself a goal e.g be able to run 1.5k easily first or set yourself a time limit (i recommend this one) and say to yourself i have 3 weeks to get in as best shape i can before my first lesson. If you're like me and fear you may procrastinate and push it back after three weeks make sure to tell someone that you're attending your first class e.g a family member or friend , i find this works as even though it may mean nothing to them you thinking that they expect you to go will force you into it, and as we all know peer pressure's a ..... xD Hope this helps :D

Latest Discussions