Is it illegal to fire someone for being too sexy?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/id/2256622/

Debrahlee Lorenzana made news this week with the unusual civil rights claim that her employer, Citigroup, has discriminated against her because she is a hottie. "At five-foot-six and 125 pounds … she is J-Lo curves meet Jessica Simpson rack meets Audrey Hepburn elegance—a head turning beauty," drools the Village Voice. According to her lawsuit, Lorenzana is so smoking hot that her co-workers couldn't concentrate on their jobs. Her bosses eventually demanded that she revamp—or, rather, de-vamp—her wardrobe: They banned tight pants, pencil skirts, high heels, and clingy turtlenecks. When Lorenzana pointed out that other women in her office wore more revealing clothes than she did, Lorenzana says her bosses replied, in essence: "Yeah, but they aren't as hot as you are." And when Lorenzana came to work, still looking just as jaw-droppingly sexy as ever, Citibank fired her. Believe it or not, Lorenzana is not the first person to claim in court that she's too sexy for her job. In 2005 librarian Desiree Goodwin sued Harvard University for discrimination, complaining that she was denied promotions because she was "seen merely as a pretty girl who wore sexy outfits, low cut blouses, and tight pants."

Well...its nothing a burka couldn't fix....but why would you want to?? :)

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what I've read, her discrimination claim is rock solid (as are probably most of her male co-workers). She was deliberately singled out because of her appearance even though her attire and behavior was no different from others in the same work environment.

This isn't to say you can't be fired for your attire, of course. Work in any business office with nose ring and wifebeater, you'd legitimately get canned. But that's clearly not the case here.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've read, her discrimination claim is rock solid (as are probably most of her male co-workers). She was deliberately singled out because of her appearance even though her attire and behavior was no different from others in the same work environment.

This isn't to say you can't be fired for your attire, of course. Work in any business office with nose ring and wifebeater, you'd legitimately get canned. But that's clearly not the case here.

I agree. I think it's completely ridiculous.

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully one CAN'T get fired for being too sexy, or I'd never be able to keep a job. ;)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to wear a shirt to work that was quite tight and showed off my manly physique beautifully.

Then one day the boss demanded that I stop wearing the shirt as it was distracting the female staff.

I was absolutely shocked and dismayed that he felt this way about my work wear , he called me into the office and asked me what I had to say in my own defence.

So I said

" I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk "

And furthermore I went on to say

" I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurt
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan"

I'm too sexy for my shirt ............. :D

Apologies to Right Said Fred.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I have to wonder if she isn't using this as some sort of publicity scam...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20006646-504083.html

Theres like 30+ photos of her...is this the news or a fashion shoot?

You know, I'm not quite sure what to believe, i think we need more photo's of her in order to make the correct decision. I wouldn't want to rush into anything...

Anyone want to bet this woman will be on a TV show, a movie and in Playboy all within the next 12 months?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to wear a shirt to work that was quite tight and showed off my manly physique beautifully.

Then one day the boss demanded that I stop wearing the shirt as it was distracting the female staff.

I was absolutely shocked and dismayed that he felt this way about my work wear , he called me into the office and asked me what I had to say in my own defence.

So I said

" I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk "

And furthermore I went on to say

" I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurt
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan"

I'm too sexy for my shirt ............. :D

Apologies to Right Said Fred.

Damn. You beat me to it :D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If that is the only reason she was fired than it is a load. It sounds like she was not in violation of a company dress code policy and pointed out others were wearing similiar clothing.

Just throwing this out there. What was her behavior at work? Why was it so distracting? Was she merely going about her business and doing her work, or did she flirt alot of draw attention to her figure? If that was the case, then the company should have noted those behaviors and logged complaints if someone made them (not saying this is what happened, just a hypothetical).

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel for her. I've had the same problem. It's horrible being this beautiful.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Being from the opposite end of the looks-spectrum I have been fortunate not to have to deal with the issues people like you and this woman deal with day-in and day-out.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I look too much like Kevin Smith to know what anyone's talking about here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You gotta stop looking in the fun house mirrors...

If the reports of her treatment were correct, then she's got a case.

Unfortunately, my cynical side wonders just how much she got away with not doing or doing less than well... and whether she'll end up with some sort of model/tv/talk show gig out of this...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You gotta stop looking in the fun house mirrors...

If the reports of her treatment were correct, then she's got a case.

Unfortunately, my cynical side wonders just how much she got away with not doing or doing less than well... and whether she'll end up with some sort of model/tv/talk show gig out of this...

+1

None of us are privy to her personnel file.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/id/2256622/

Debrahlee Lorenzana made news this week with the unusual civil rights claim that her employer, Citigroup, has discriminated against her because she is a hottie. "At five-foot-six and 125 pounds … she is J-Lo curves meet Jessica Simpson rack meets Audrey Hepburn elegance—a head turning beauty," drools the Village Voice. According to her lawsuit, Lorenzana is so smoking hot that her co-workers couldn't concentrate on their jobs. Her bosses eventually demanded that she revamp—or, rather, de-vamp—her wardrobe: They banned tight pants, pencil skirts, high heels, and clingy turtlenecks. When Lorenzana pointed out that other women in her office wore more revealing clothes than she did, Lorenzana says her bosses replied, in essence: "Yeah, but they aren't as hot as you are." And when Lorenzana came to work, still looking just as jaw-droppingly sexy as ever, Citibank fired her. Believe it or not, Lorenzana is not the first person to claim in court that she's too sexy for her job. In 2005 librarian Desiree Goodwin sued Harvard University for discrimination, complaining that she was denied promotions because she was "seen merely as a pretty girl who wore sexy outfits, low cut blouses, and tight pants."

Well...its nothing a burka couldn't fix....but why would you want to?? :)

I'll start by saying that this woman is indeed, very attractive. :D As for the rest of the story...I'd be interested in knowing what the dress code is for this company. Now, theres nothing wrong with dressing nice, but there is a time and a place for dressing professional, and dressing sexy/slutty. Was she spoken to prior to termination? If so, was she told about the dresscode, if there is one, and that she needs to follow it? Did she ignore warnings? Dont know.

IMO, if there were rule violations, then I dont see how she can use the discrimination card, but if she received no warnings, if there is no dress code, and she was not in violation of anything, then I'd say she'd have more ground.

Latest Discussions