Is Competing Important to Your School?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When we go to compete we go to have some fun and learn something as well as meet new people. I don't put a large amount of emphasis on competition but what can be learned from competing win or loose. However it is not a requirement, at one of my instructors schools it was a requirement but was not always followed through with and I have become kinda miffed with tournaments. So I take it in stride and just go and have fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have known that the MMA fighter would be the one to say she likes fighting. Violent freak. LOL

Huh! Wanna fight? Want your butt kicked by an old lady? LOL!

It actually surprised me how much I enjoyed fighting, it's not the hurting people it's sort of the freedom of being able to look after yourself. I love the chess type aspect where you're trying to outwit your opponent. Then when the fights done you and your opponent grin and hug each other because you've just gone through something great together! Does that make sense or am I just deluded lol!

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How important is competition in your school?

Do you request yout students compete in X amount of events before they can test for their next belt?

Do you expect certain belt levels to compete?

Do you expect your black belt club members to compete?

Is it a requirement that students compete?

Is competition truly important? Why or why not?

Is competition truly important to growth as a martial artist?

Competition seems pretty important to my teacher. He's keen to push those who he feels are ready to compete in national and international Wushu and Taiji tournaments. However, they are demonstration only comps, which i feel as a bit of a lack. I'd love it if they had something like a Shuai jiao (fast wrestling) tournament in the AWKF (Aust. Wushu Kung Fu Fed.), i'd want to have a go at that. I don't really see the point of competing in the more traditional forms or internal forms as they often aren't well understood by modern Wushu judges.

Having said that, i do think that public demonstration of yr forms does help yr mental development and confidence as a martial artist. Could be a grading, a demo or competition, the extra scrutiny on yr form leading up to performing can be very useful.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

It actually surprised me how much I enjoyed fighting, it's not the hurting people it's sort of the freedom of being able to look after yourself. I love the chess type aspect where you're trying to outwit your opponent. Then when the fights done you and your opponent grin and hug each other because you've just gone through something great together! Does that make sense or am I just deluded lol!

I agree whole heartedly. Though I am not an exceptional fighter, I get alot of enjoyment from sparring. I also think that just like improvisation in music, it really lets you evaluate your technique, balance, perceptions etc. Really brings it all together to see many of the strong and weak points in your training.
icon7.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cirdan: You say that sparring is an important part of your personal growth. Do you spar people outside of your school? If not, wouldn't you only benefit from sparring others? That's mainly why I compete, to spar against others so I have the experience to spar people I know nothing about.

Well since i train in two differnet arts and at three Dojos i get to try out stuff from one place at the others and vice versa. We also get a lot of newcommers that have been doing other arts earlier so I have no problem finding new sparring partners with varied skills. However the main reason i don`t compete is that it would require me to learn a whole other set of skills in order to be successful. A traditionalist at heart, I simply don`t have the time or drive to enter that world fully.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I look forward to competing but I wouldn't want to be "required" to do it every month or even every two months.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot from my very first competition.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'll pass on the fight, thanks. I have a feeling you would want to do an MMA/full contact fight, which is a no go for me. I know myself too well, I'd end up doing something really dangerous, and possibly severly injure you.

Anyways, I agree that mind games are fun to play. If you don't believe me, ask anyone I've sat with at lunch in high school. I do it all the time. I also enjoy strategy games.

So Tez, up for a game up Chess?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pass on the fight, thanks. I have a feeling you would want to do an MMA/full contact fight, which is a no go for me. I know myself too well, I'd end up doing something really dangerous, and possibly severly injure you.

Anyways, I agree that mind games are fun to play. If you don't believe me, ask anyone I've sat with at lunch in high school. I do it all the time. I also enjoy strategy games.

So Tez, up for a game up Chess?

LOL at you thinking you could beat me! Actually I know what you mean, I have quite a temper, it's the cold ice in veins type not the red mist one, fighting full contact against men has taught me to control my emotions and be very aware of what I'm doing, there's just too big a chance of seriously injuring someone. When you do train something where even a small person like myself can inflict serious damage with something like an ankle lock it's actually quite sobering and of course fighting while angry is the best way to lose a fight!

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Competitions are not a requirement at my school. My students are encouraged, but in no way pressured to do so. Many people who train dont want to compete and I want each student to get what they need out of there training.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL at you thinking you could beat me! Actually I know what you mean, I have quite a temper, it's the cold ice in veins type not the red mist one, fighting full contact against men has taught me to control my emotions and be very aware of what I'm doing, there's just too big a chance of seriously injuring someone. When you do train something where even a small person like myself can inflict serious damage with something like an ankle lock it's actually quite sobering and of course fighting while angry is the best way to lose a fight!

I never said that I would beat you up. Just that I would be tempted to seriously injure you. I don't really like to do randori becuase I have a habit of doing somthing along the lines of tearing muscles, or cutting off air supply. And I don't mean via a lock or choke.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you didn't, I was just joking! But you shouldn't think you'd necessarily be in a state to do that to me lol! I may get you first!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you didn't, I was just joking! But you shouldn't think you'd necessarily be in a state to do that to me lol! I may get you first!

(-rolls eyes-) Yah, well, anyways... Up for a game of chess?

009abz

White Belt
Reaction score
competing is very important to my club for its a time we could put all we learnt in to action also its a time i like to let all my anger out on the person im vs in wtf you might think how i do that if wtf is all waiting for the person to attack but ill tell you this when i enter the ring its not a wtf fight to me but a war and the way i fight is vissious so all i do is attack punch and bassicly not let my fighter breath.Also it shows us how good we are are and if their someone better than us..

i enter the arena a fighter but leave a warrior

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
competing is very important to my club for its a time we could put all we learnt in to action also its a time i like to let all my anger out on the person im vs in wtf you might think how i do that if wtf is all waiting for the person to attack but ill tell you this when i enter the ring its not a wtf fight to me but a war and the way i fight is vissious so all i do is attack punch and bassicly not let my fighter breath.Also it shows us how good we are are and if their someone better than us..

i enter the arena a fighter but leave a warrior

What style do you do and where do you fight? I watch hundreds of fights and an angry fighter tends not to do well.

009abz

White Belt
Reaction score
in the sydney area tournaments and i do taekwondo and it wont be hard to see my fights coz im always the odd one out punching and kicking wildly but dnt worry i still no wat im doing its just that a lot of anger is put behined my punches and kicks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in the sydney area tournaments and i do taekwondo and it wont be hard to see my fights coz im always the odd one out punching and kicking wildly but dnt worry i still no wat im doing its just that a lot of anger is put behined my punches and kicks.

I.m differently confused by you! If you do WTF style of fighting than it is the sport aspect which does not allow punching especially wild and no control. These types of fight is like playing tag. Now if you would have said you do point sparring maybe I could have bought into your story here. WTF is the governing body over the sport of Tae Kwon Do mainly the Olympic style of it there is no one acting like a wild man in any international event, for the record I ref. coach and run a school. I'm AAU and USAT certified.
The statement you fight Wildly NO WAY the referee;s will not allow this in the sport side so please if you are going to belike this talk with a bit of truth and please do not try to make things bigger than they are.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I share Terry's misgivings about what you actually do. The other thing is most fighters love people who fight the way you say you do! Punching and kicking wildly puts big smiles on our faces as far from what you seem to think, that it makes you fight well, the opposite is true, it's so easy to beat ill disciplined brawlers. Anger has no place in any type of fight, it's self defeating.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I share Terry's misgivings about what you actually do. The other thing is most fighters love people who fight the way you say you do! Punching and kicking wildly puts big smiles on our faces as far from what you seem to think, that it makes you fight well, the opposite is true, it's so easy to beat ill disciplined brawlers. Anger has no place in any type of fight, it's self defeating.

I agree as well. Martial arts teach control; if your instructor does not teach that, then that is your loss. If you think that competition is a "war", and that the appropriate way to fight is to put "a lot of anger" into your techniques, then you are misusing your skills... assuming you actually have any skills other than blindly striking out at your opponent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In over 8 years of doing MMA and watching, judging and cornering fighters I have never seen a fighter go into the ring/cage angry. The general maxim for fighters is 'don't fight hard fight clever'. Brawling has no place in in martial arts and it will only get you hurt if you chose to indulge in street fighting. It will also get you hurt if you are trying to defend yourself.

Martial arts were formed for the very purpose of "fighting smart", to enable people to use techniques that enable them to fight with the least danger to themselves while inflicting the most damage on their opponent if they need to. These days the need isn't there as much so the discipline comes into play so we can spar or fight with both combatants safety in mind.

Using a sparring opponent to work off your anger on is very childish and dangerous, more so to you than your opponent. While you are flaiing yur arms and legs around in blind anger your opponent most likely is picking his target! Your guard will be poor as well as your balance and control, you won't be thinking tactics. I do wish you could come and train with us!

Latest Discussions