Is Competing Important to Your School?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't require students to attend tournaments, but I strongly encourage them to. It gets their form reviewed by fresh eyes and it gives them someone new to spar with.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not yet had my students go to tournaments. I'm wary of the politics. My experiences at tourneys with politics has not been positive.

I'm not against tournaments. I think it can be a great experience for students. It has been for me. But, I've also experienced enough dumb things at tournaments to make me think twice.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't require students to attend tournaments, but I strongly encourage them to. It gets their form reviewed by fresh eyes and it gives them someone new to spar with.
I just found out I have to compete in October if I want to test in November for my 7th gup. I believe we only have to compete once (could be twice, not sure) before testing for black belt so that's not so bad. I hope to compete at least once or twice a year though. It'll be a real learning experience sparring someone from a different school.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have not yet had my students go to tournaments. I'm wary of the politics. My experiences at tourneys with politics has not been positive.

I'm not against tournaments. I think it can be a great experience for students. It has been for me. But, I've also experienced enough dumb things at tournaments to make me think twice.
Politics can put the kabash on what should be a joyful experience.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Politics can put the kabash on what should be a joyful experience.

Yes it can. I won't tell you about the experiences I've had in that regard simply because it's of little value & it may cause you to sour on the experience.

But tournaments in general are a great way to see your training in a different light. Seeing the same folks in class each week & taught by the same instructor, tends to give us a narrow view of MA. Tournaments open up our eyes to a bigger MA world. From "wow, that's a cool uniform." to "Wow, that gal has a great sidekick!" You can always learn something helpful.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes it can. I won't tell you about the experiences I've had in that regard simply because it's of little value & it may cause you to sour on the experience.

But tournaments in general are a great way to see your training in a different light. Seeing the same folks in class each week & taught by the same instructor, tends to give us a narrow view of MA. Tournaments open up our eyes to a bigger MA world. From "wow, that's a cool uniform." to "Wow, that gal has a great sidekick!" You can always learn something helpful.
I'd rather be naieve about the politics at this point: see no evil, hear no evil.

The Central New York Classic will be a great learning experience. We have schools from all over the USA as well as Europe attending. It's not just Tang Soo Do either. I had wondered if there would be any women in my age range but surely there will be.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no problem if my students WANT to go - but I don't teach tournament anything...sparring, forms, or weaponry. What I teach is designed for the street and it's in contrast to what works well in tournaments.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I hate tournaments for the inherent politics that have reared their head at EVERY tournament I've ever been to. I'd rather spend my time training with my students and learning from my teachers.

I have a completely different view of Seminars though - I try to get to every seminar I possibly can. I haven't yet been to a seminar I didn't pull away a ton of useful information from.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no problem if my students WANT to go - but I don't teach tournament anything...sparring, forms, or weaponry. What I teach is designed for the street and it's in contrast to what works well in tournaments.

Oh, I see. Understood (I saw your comments about the politics). You students wouldn't be able to use their entire repertoire at a tournament, that's for sure - they'd probably be bored, too.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I know why some of the school owners here require their students to compete!

I had my first competition this past weekend and I learned a lot about myself. I found that I have a lot of courage. I found that I have a lot of determination. I found that I can take a loss with grace and be happy for the other person. I found out what some of my strengths and weaknesses are. In the one area where I did not place (forms), I am determined to work harder. In the two areas I placed, I want to work harder as well. Also, I came away with a deeper sense of pride for my school.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I know why some of the school owners here require their students to compete!

I had my first competition this past weekend and I learned a lot about myself. I found that I have a lot of courage. I found that I have a lot of determination. I found that I can take a loss with grace and be happy for the other person. I found out what some of my strengths and weaknesses are. In the one area where I did not place (forms), I am determined to work harder. In the two areas I placed, I want to work harder as well. Also, I came away with a deeper sense of pride for my school.

My first tournament was nothing like yours. I entered in forms, sparring, and team sparring. I geuss some kid from a team dropped out, and I was 'voulentered' to fill in. My Sensei and the school owner are two differnit people, and do two differnit styles. Anyways...
The team sparring was horrifying. My team mates were 6 and 8. At the time I was 12. I was a two green stripe (second rank in Cuong Nhu), and my team mates were in Tae Kwon Do for a matter of months. So, justly none of us should have been there. The scores 2-5, 3-7, 8-5. I had 8-5. One of my team mates broke down crying afterwards.
Forms, I took second... to one person. Sparring I took first place... to no one. I ended up in the expert catagory, and got the tar beat out of me.

My other tournamnets ended up basicly the same, so you can imagine I don't care for tournaments.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My first tournament was nothing like yours. I entered in forms, sparring, and team sparring. I geuss some kid from a team dropped out, and I was 'voulentered' to fill in. My Sensei and the school owner are two differnit people, and do two differnit styles. Anyways...
The team sparring was horrifying. My team mates were 6 and 8. At the time I was 12. I was a two green stripe (second rank in Cuong Nhu), and my team mates were in Tae Kwon Do for a matter of months. So, justly none of us should have been there. The scores 2-5, 3-7, 8-5. I had 8-5. One of my team mates broke down crying afterwards.
Forms, I took second... to one person. Sparring I took first place... to no one. I ended up in the expert catagory, and got the tar beat out of me.

My other tournamnets ended up basicly the same, so you can imagine I don't care for tournaments.
Well, you didn't have the most positive experience. Aren't there tournaments that are more suited to your art?

Our tournament was open to all martial artists but I think we had mostly Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do or Tae Kwon Do. The rules for sparring are strict for each division.

I hope you can find a suitable tournament - they can be fun and rewarding.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you didn't have the most positive experience. Aren't there tournaments that are more suited to your art?

Our tournament was open to all martial artists but I think we had mostly Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do or Tae Kwon Do. The rules for sparring are strict for each division.

I hope you can find a suitable tournament - they can be fun and rewarding.

Open Tournament, and they can also be a headache.

kez56

White Belt
Reaction score
It was with the school I used to train with.

Too much focus on the sporting aspect of karate. I dont have a problem with tournaments in general but it wasnt what I was looking for.

Needless to say I dont train there anymore

Latest Discussions