Is a horse a motor vehicle?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, Carol. I notice the stories online every few months, mostly in Florida and Texas. Apparently, some people ride their horses to the bar. I'd worry about it being stolen. It isn't like there is a Club for horses...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Maryland You can get DUI on horse, bike, lawnmower, golf cart ect.

We still have unauthorized use of livestock as a law we use it alot since it applies to cars and I guess horses too since it says live stock. Its like a lesser degree of vehicle theft.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose, considering some people use horses and buggies to get around a horse would be kind of a vehicle but not a real vehicle since a horse is a live flesh and blood living being.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose, considering some people use horses and buggies to get around a horse would be kind of a vehicle but not a real vehicle since a horse is a live flesh and blood living being.

The buggy they put behind it is a vehicle though.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
A horse is an animal that reaches thousands of pounds. They could be a major danger if directed into traffic by an intoxicated rider.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A horse is an animal that reaches thousands of pounds. They could be a major danger if directed into traffic by an intoxicated rider.

Yes, Black beauty covered that I believe.

Thankfully a horse also has (arguably) a self preservation instinct. cars lack that as of now.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a friend that works for another police department. He was running code 3 down a 4 lane highway about 2 am and a horse came out of nowhere jumped onto the hood of his car. I saw the pictures Ive never seen so much blood. Totalled the police car thankfully it hit the passenger side the hardest so my frined was not hurt.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, Black beauty covered that I believe.

Thankfully a horse also has (arguably) a self preservation instinct. cars lack that as of now.
For all the romance people have about horses, they are remarkably stupid animals. A horse will walk right off a cliff, if you let it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For all the romance people have about horses, they are remarkably stupid animals. A horse will walk right off a cliff, if you let it.

LOL, some have outright suicidal tendencies, indeed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a friend that works for another police department. He was running code 3 down a 4 lane highway about 2 am and a horse came out of nowhere jumped onto the hood of his car. I saw the pictures Ive never seen so much blood. Totalled the police car thankfully it hit the passenger side the hardest so my frined was not hurt.

He was damn, lucky!

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good friend of mine rides a mule. He gave me a whole list of reasons, a mule is stronger, a mule is smarter, a mule this, a mule that... But, what is really comes down to, he does it just to be contrary. His whole family drives Chevy trucks, he drives a ford...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was damn, lucky!
Yes he was if he had a passenger they would have been killed no doubt. that car was crushed. The horse got up and wanted to move but it was hurt bad and had to be put down

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good friend of mine rides a mule. He gave me a whole list of reasons, a mule is stronger, a mule is smarter, a mule this, a mule that... But, what is really comes down to, he does it just to be contrary. His whole family drives Chevy trucks, he drives a ford...

LOL!

(But Mules are smarter)

Emma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on the jurisdiction. In Virginia, it's not -- but I know that in some states, you can actually make a DUI arrest for a person on horseback on the highway...
It's the same over here in Australia, you can also be arrested for riding a camel drunk, or a pushy.

Big don, while I agree with you that horses aren't the smartest (equivalent to a sheep apparently), they aren't quite that stupid, unless they are in a blind panic.

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if you can register a horse on the roads. At least I've never seen one with a numberplate taped to its backside.

Here in Victoria you have to register anything that goes on the road with the exception of towed vehicles (trailers...etc) No where does it say anything about horses :S

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know where I live a horse is a motor vehicle. You can tie them to parking meters but you must pay for the time they are there.

Latest Discussions