"inverted" outer block

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a form of the outer-block where you invert the arm so that your thumb is facing outward and you are block more with the radius bone than the ulna bone.

Does this variation of the outer-block have a name? or a proper description? I've been calling it 'inverted outer-block' in a recent conversation just for the sake of it, but I don't know if it's got a real name

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For white belt grading here we perform both an "inner middle forearm block" and an "outer middle forearm block". The inner block ends with your fist facing you (ie: facing in) while the outer forearm block ends with your fist facing away from you (ie: facing out).

Both blocks start from the ear with the outer block starting with your blocking hand as the one which is closest to your ear and facing in toward your ear and the back of the non blocking hand touching the back of the blocking hand -- the blocking hand rotates out and the non blocking hand rotates to land palm up at the waist.

For the inner block the blocking hand starts as the outside hand in the block. The non blocking hand is closest to the ear with the fist facing in towards the ear and pulls straight back to the hip. The back of the block touches the back of the non blocking hand and rotates to face inward while doing the block.

It may be different at your school but this is how I was taught to perform the two blocks and the differences between the two. Hope this helps.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Argle bargle...

There is an inner forearm block and an outer forearm block and those I'm will aware of.

OK, assuming you are blocking with your right arm (So I can use right left....)

Hmm... never mind... I'll just film it

http://r4h-music.com/movies/mymovie.mov

(note: the sound is obnoxious so mute your playback : )

OK I do three blocks slow and then fast. The chambering and motion is exaggerated to show the point. Each block is done twice.

The first in each set in an 'inner block' and blocks with the pinkie side of the forearm. The second in each set is an 'outer block' and again blocks with the pinkie side of the forearm.

The *third* in each set is what I'm talking about... it's the same as an 'outer-block' in the positioning and motion, except the palm stays facing you and the thumb is to the outside and you are block with the thumb side of the forearm.

I don't know if that third kind of block as a name or a modifier to distinguish it from the other form of outer block

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are two parts to the forearm - the inner forearm, which, when your arm is hanging relaxed at your side, is the side closer to your body, the side your thumb is on, and the outer forearm, which, when your arm is hanging relaxed at your side, is the side farther from your body, the side your pinkie is on. Thus, a block with the inner forearm as the tool is an inner forearm block, and a block with the outer forearm as the tool is an outer forearm block.

If, as I suspect, you are referring to the direction of the block, rather than the tool, then there is another term that must be added - inward or outward, which refer to the direction the block travels relative to the centerline of the body. For example, an inward outer forearm block is a block that moves from outside the shoulderline toward the centerline, using the outer forearm as the tool; in contrast, an inward inner forearm block is a block that moves from outside the shoulderline toward the centerline, using the inner forearm as the tool. An outward outer forearm (often simply called an outer forearm block) would move from the centerline (or sometimes from the opposite shoulderline) toward the shoulderline of the blocking arm, using the outer forearm as the tool; an outward inner forearm block (often simply called an inner forearm block) would move from the centerline (or sometimes from the opposite shoulderline) toward the shoulderline of the blocking arm.

I hope that makes sense - here are some visuals:

In Chon-Ji, the blocks in the first half of the pattern (moves 1, 3, 5, and 7) are outward outer forearm blocks, while the blocks in the second half of the pattern (moves 9, 11, 13, and 15) are inward inner forearm blocks - although the terms "outward" and "inward" are not generally used in describing these blocks.

[yt]CRRUvtVXWLE[/yt]

In Choong-Mu, the first half of move 24 shows an inward outer forearm block (between the double inner forearm block, with the right fist to the left elbow and the backfist) - it's hard to see because his back is to you, but you can see the direction of the motion.

[yt]HxbB2Wiv2R0[/yt]

An example of the inward inner forearm block is escaping me at the moment, but if I think of one, I'll post it later.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Kacey. It's a matter of terminology. I've had used with me (been taught) that 'inner' and 'outer' apply to the direction of the the arm travel. however by using those terms to indicate the striking surface and then use 'inward' and 'outward' to indicate the direction of travel, you can be more explicit.

So to revisit my earlier example

First Block: Outer Inward Forearm Block
Second Block: Outer Outward Forearm Block
Third Block: Inner Outward Forearm Block

Although this changes the normal meaning/understanding of 'inner block' and 'outer block'

So I wonder if there is something more... globally understood?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think this is "global" but we refer to them as outside block, and "old outside block"
In Tae Geuk forms when there is an outside block it is always down with the pinkie side of the arm, however in Pal Gwes an outside block is always down with the thumb side of the arm (at least the way I learned them). So we refer to the thumb side block (from Pal Gwes) as the "old" one. Although my instructor will also sometimes call that same block an "inner forearm block" but that does usually get some confused looks.
I would think an "inner formearm outside block" would probably be the best description of the block. But that is all just my opinion.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to show that there are many similarities between the various martial arts, there is such a block in Lau. I was given to understand that it was borrowed from karate and is actually more of a strike to the inside of the opponents arm than it is a block.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to show that there are many similarities between the various martial arts, there is such a block in Lau. I was given to understand that it was borrowed from karate and is actually more of a strike to the inside of the opponents arm than it is a block.

All blocks are strikes, and all strikes are blocks... it depends on how you're applying it. If I "block" as you attack me, and numb or break your arm - was it a block, or a strike? It's a semantic difference, to help teach junior students - but the higher up you go, the less the differentiation matters.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not quite the same in Lau.

Many of our blocks are quite softly applied as we are moving out of the way, or moving in and past, or taking hold for a lock and so forth. The distinction between a defensive move that creates an opening, a block and an attack can be very blurred, it is true; in the end, all is aimed at attaining victory so everything can be termed an 'attack'.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not quite the same in Lau.

Many of our blocks are quite softly applied as we are moving out of the way, or moving in and past, or taking hold for a lock and so forth. The distinction between a defensive move that creates an opening, a block and an attack can be very blurred, it is true; in the end, all is aimed at attaining victory so everything can be termed an 'attack'.

There's some of that too - it all depends on how you're applying the technique, rather than the name - that's the point I was trying to get to. If I use a "block" to break your arm, does it matter what I call it? If I raise my leg as if to kick, and block your attack with my foot, is it a "strike"? For juniors, such differentiation is important; it helps them to conceptualize what they are doing - but for seniors, it's important to know that the two are not mutually exclusive, and to not limit themselves by only using "blocks" to block, and "strikes" to strike.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
we call it the "To San" block, because that block is first seen in the To-San form.

or we call it the inside out verticle forearm block

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good to put a Korean name to the technique (thank you Twin Fist and Slingblade), I can picture it (can't watch a video at work due to the way our network is set up), so I'll have to try it at class tonight.

Daniel