inteview of tkd blackbelt

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bayonet said:
I also served my country honorably from 91-94 as an infantryman in the 7th Infantry Division(L), C 2/9 INF. Ft Ord/Ft Lewis, U.S. Army. My DD 214 reads honorable discharge. Is there honor in wearing a rank you did not earn? I don't care if all the AK Senoirs got together and bestowed rank upon me, I still would not wear it. The point is, can you defend yourself as a legitmate 5th or 6th? So don't give this dude Geary a pat on the back because he served in the USMC. Many have served in the armed forces. Chuck Sullivan, Larry Tatum, Steve Sanders, Mick Pick, just to name a few. There is one difference though, these Seniors earned their rank and can back it up.
Like Prof. Joe said above, it gets really sticky when you get into this whole legitimacy issue. THERE ARE NO STANDARDIZED RANKING SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD. Every organization, and often, dojo etc., ranks differently. Joe Lewis, in his day, could beat the snot out of everyone that got into the ring with him. What rank was he? Did someone have to be able to beat him in order to hold the same or greater rank? What about Bill Wallace? Etc. Etc. What standard wold you use to determine rank?

It's almost like talking about college degrees. We all know that different colleges and universities have different rankings in terms of quality. We all know that different majors have different requirements. But few would say that my degree from Cal State Fullerton is not legitimate simply because it didn't come from Stanford or Harvard. Did I have to work as hard to get mine as someone did from Harvard? No. Would I , with a BA in History be expected to be as good in math as someone who majored in Engineering? No. Yet, it is a legitimate degree. My wife has a Masters from the same school. Is she not a legit "Master" because she didn't get it from Yale? "Well, you might say, "she doesn't reason like the masters that I have seen from Oxford! Therefore she must be illegitimate!"

It can get pretty tedious and pointless after a while.

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This really has nothing to do with what your major is in college. President Bush went to Yale. Go figure. Don't go to an accountant if you want an in depth analysis of the Civil War. You never know the accountant may be a history buff. I get your point. If you met a man who said "I got a 4 year degree from CSUN in 6 months" wouldn't you be suspect. As far as standardizing rank, I fully agree as well. BUT no matter what art any of us study, explain how you EARN 6th dan in ten years? Please enlighten me. I don't equate self preservation with what you have around your waist. But having students label you as "The most dangerous man in Nebraska" you better be able to move like a 6th. Mr. Parker wrote "ego is the anesthesia that kills the pain of stupidity". As far as Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace, greats, pioneers, nothing but respect.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bayonet said:
This really has nothing to do with what your major is in college. President Bush went to Yale. Go figure. Don't go to an accountant if you want an in depth analysis of the Civil War. You never know the accountant may be a history buff. I get your point. If you met a man who said "I got a 4 year degree from CSUN in 6 months" wouldn't you be suspect. As far as standardizing rank, I fully agree as well. BUT no matter what art any of us study, explain how you EARN 6th dan in ten years? Please enlighten me. I don't equate self preservation with what you have around your waist. But having students label you as "The most dangerous man in Nebraska" you better be able to move like a 6th. Mr. Parker wrote "ego is the anesthesia that kills the pain of stupidity". As far as Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace, greats, pioneers, nothing but respect.
Perhaps I didn't adequately make my point. The comparison between college degrees is just that there are vastly different standards throughout the country, state, and world for what it takes to achieve a "legitimate" degree. even in the same university, you can have the same class taught by different professors that have substantially different standards for what is required to pass their class. However, when one gets the diploma, it's legit. Period. Now, an employer may look at one's transcript and where one got said diploma and compareit unfavorably to another person's, but that does not invalidate the first person's diploma. Why? Because a diploma says that the person bearing it has successfully met the requirements of that institution in order to attain one. There will be people willing to hire a Yale grad, that will not hire one from CSUF, but that doesn't make the CSUF degree invalid. In fact, if the job only requires that one has a BA degree, then it is irelevant where this degree was obtained. Black Belts are the same thing. To get one means that you have met that dojo's (Kwoon, dojang etc.) or organization's requirements to attain one. Does it mean that one from McDojo A, was as hard to obtain as another one? No. But so what? We knew in college that there were easy majors and easy teachers. We knew that they were always brimming with Jocks and that the coaches would hog the spots for their athletes. But those jocks that took the easy classes and easy majors walked in the same procession to get their diploma as the rest of us. Did it make me look with disgust at my diploma and curse the institution that I had earned it from? No. Did it make me feel like a sucker to have taken harder classes and better teachers? No. Hell, I didn't even resent the jocks that got their diploma the easy way. They had their life and I had mine. I valued what I'd learned and that was what my diploma represented to me. Whatever their's meant to them was their own business. Same with belts and degrees/titles. I have tested with people that had a fraction of the skill that I had, and had clearly put in far less work for the same belt rank. Hey, we both came out with the same belt at the end of the day. Did it make it clear to me that I was doing far more than I needed to to earn that belt? Yes. But that was not why I was doing it. I wasn't looking for the minimum needed skill etc. I was looking to be the best I could. You can go crazy if you let this stuff get to you. You will find it in many places in life, not just the martial arts or college. I have a cousin who became a pastor of a church who never finished high school. But, I know a priest that had to go to 8 years of seminary to do the same thing. Both are legit pastors in their respective religions etc. What do you do?

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good points. That's life. As far as your cousin, he obviously found the Lord and in the end that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned but I'm sure people will disagree. Such is life.
icon7.gif

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is for ranks after black belt

1st to 2nd = 2 + years
2nd to 3rd = 3 + years
3rd to 4th =4 + years
4th to 5th = 5 + years

that's 14 years, and it is pretty widely used. Especially since the webite alludes the time it would have taken a normal man
Todd

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:

1st to 2nd = 2 + years
2nd to 3rd = 3 + years
3rd to 4th =4 + years
4th to 5th = 5 + years

that's 14 years, and it is pretty widely used. Especially since the webite alludes the time it would have taken a normal man
Todd
I used to hear that guideline also. It was from the same instructor that said he wouldn't teach anyone under the age of seven and would not test anyone for shodan under the age of sixteen because he didn't want to babysit and he didn't want to look ridiculous. He also said that anything above fifth degree was essentially honorary and was usually tied to how many years one spent teaching the art. It would be cool if people stuck to this, but alas many do not. It would be much easier to call someone on their bs if it were so. Much like the afore mentioned 1.5 year bachelor's degree.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If someone talks about getting a bachelor's degree in 1 1/2 you know he is full of it, so why is this any different. I have magazine articles from the 70's stating that under 16 no get black belt-In fact Benny Uriqudez made a stir when they(Bill Ryusksa) awarded him a shodan at 14 years old (but he was also benny uriquedez)

In somw systems any thing over 5th is honorary, in some there are rquirements

In all fairness, mr most feared man in nebraska seems to award his ranks as quick as he got them! From white to 4th degree black in 12 years!

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look at the controversy of Hanshi Juchnik and the Mitose prison visits and what some out on the west coast call 'Jail House Karate'. John (Evans), what is more controversial and impacted more martial artists worldwide- Sijo Gascon & Hanshi Angel's promotion of a guy in Nebraska to 6th dan or getting handed over a legendary martial arts system with no experience in it from several visits to Folsom Prison? Oh, it's okay because Mitose said it was, right?
Hi Joe,

I've also heard it called "Convict Kempo" :rolleyes: but that doesn't stop me from studying with Hanshi Juchnik. I think we've been over this many times so I won't go into too much again. Hanshi Juchnik is a fantastic martial artist and can teach at the master level on many topics. What he teaches is extremely different than anything I've seen any other instructor teaching out there. If he's the 1st, 2nd or 22nd grandmaster of Kosho that doesn't matter to me. He considers Mitose to be the true teacher to show him the way. I believe him. His martial skills far surpass any martial artists I've trained with.

I understand that with many people comes many standards. Rank really has very little meaning outside of the school it was granted in. It's like the saying I heard before, "Not all black belts are created equally".

Oh, I should also state this too. It took me going to quite a few seminars and private lessons with Hanshi before I really started to believe what he taught. I'm very skeptical by nature and he made it look way to easy. The moment I let go of trying to figure out whether or not he was skilled or simply a con was the day I tried to truly hit him during a seminar. I had him in my sights and blasted him with a pretty forceful punch. I never saw him move but I missed and he positioned his mouth right next to my ear and whispered, "easy sensei". At that moment I knew he had total control over my body and I had better relax and listen.

On the same day after that moment Hanshi came up to me and asked me to put him in any kind of lock. Well I tried and tried and tried without success. But that's because I was sticking to the wrist lock. (I thought) I shifted and went for a finger lock and when I did Hanshi did something (I'm really not exactly sure to this day) and I fell to the ground with extreme pain to my right thumb. I jumped back up fairly quickly (feeling a bit embarrassed) to find that Hanhsi was no where in sight. When I looked around he was quietly walking away from me - he was already a good fifteen to twenty feet away.

That was truly masterful, to me.

Take care my friend.

-John

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Hell, with the best of intentions to unify and strenghten his style maybe he did gift this guy a certificate - with the hopes his future effort would be sincere. See now why Nick cerio gave up the NCMMA??

Allright next windmill to set my lance at!!
Todd
In my humble opinion, the only way to strengthen a style is to set proper standards and produce knowledgeable instructors. Giving out high ranks does neither.As far as the NCMMA is/was concerned, why would Mr. Cerio create an assocation to legitimize other instructors' students? I just don't see the point of such an association!

Salute

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
Hi John, glad you responded. No, I made some generalized statements also that did not pertain to you at all. Again, John, if myself and many others, ever opened up, it would start a war with a lot of people. It would give all new meaning to the phrase: "to open up a can of worms". When I started delving into the history I found a lot of things that reflect from the past into the present. I was warned by a friend who did the same thing. He told me to be careful when you start digging into this legitimate rank thing, that I might be disappointed. I kind of scoffed at that. Mistake. This was after we had a discussion (it was on a forum at the time, but I knew him personally) on legit rank and I said something about Mitose. It went like this: 'Well, you can't say he's not legitimate because his ranking was passed down through his bloodline as 21st decendant of his family art'. Needless to say I have since then lost my virginity, lol, and told him some time later that he was right about some of the surprises I would find. I know of a very, very highly respected kenpo senior, respected not only by his students but his peers and seniors who in 11 years in kenpo made it to the rank of 8th degree and a year later at that rank founded his own system that has world wide recognition and accreditation to this day. Everyone knows it, he never hided it and his 8th was from a 'legtimate' master. His system today has numerous subsystems of his original style. This example is just one of many. There's another I know who criticized others excessively and a bit of his 'history' was released and came back to bite him in the butt (not that he wasn't a tough fighter, excellent black belt and teacher). One has to be careful when they point out these things in other people's systems because, trust me, you can easily start digging into their systems and find the same thing. "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.' No matter how far I went back I found controversy. How about Funakoshi receiving his renshi 5th dan from a Budo Kai in Japan that was essentially a haven for practitioners of kenjutsu (the sword arts) along with jiu jitsu and akijitsu. Cross ranking, ya think? What's even better his student was on the board who gave him the rank! He was Japanese and was the alledged 'pull' Funakoshi needed at the time for an Okinawan to be accepted into a Japanese Kai. The Kai has since expanded to take in other arts but is essentially known in Japan as a 'paper mill'. Don't believe me? Talk to Robert Rouuselot of Japan of this forum. So, again, to paraphrase Hanshi Lou Angel -You mind your store and I'll mind mine. I have a different way of putting it. Be careful about criticizing others when you may not know what's going on on in your own back yard because one could end up with 'egg on one's face'.
John, yes, thank you for serving our country in the USMC, I totally respect that. Take care my friend, Sincerely, Joe
Hey Brother Joe,

Funakoshi's rank can not be compared to any of these non-sense situations.....At the time he recieved that rank, he had 30 years of teaching and training under is belt. His rank was sanctioned by Nihon butokukai, yes originally an exclusive organization for the promotion of Japanese MA, but accepting and adopting Karate-Do systems as well. Yasuhiro konishi (later founded the system of Shindo Jinen Ryu-A Shotokan off shoot) a student of Funakoshi was on the board of promotions.He was a well known Jujutsu and Kenjutsu teacher and practitioner. All Karate systems were organizing their curriculum and ranking systems, so Funakoshi needed a rank as well. Both his instructors were dead by that time and most other Instructors were his junior. He received a modest rank for his experience, contributions and of course, political reasons. If the "Kai" became a "paper mill" 50 years later, it had nothing to do with Funakoshi's promotion.

Now to the Kenpo senior that you're talking about, we both know his history. The so called Chinese teacher as we talked about the other day, could have been a chinese restaurant waiter for all we know. Have you heard of any of his other students? What happened to this infamous teacher? The Kempo/ Kenpo ranking system has always been and still is in trouble.......

Sooooo, how was that glass of red wine anyhow? Nice talking to you. I'll call you very soon again.

Salute,

OP
K

Karazenpo

I agree with all you guys. You all make sense. I also believe that Hanshi Juchnik is a tough guy & a skilled martial artist. I think part of the controversy, besides the prison visits, was of his low ranking of 3rd dan in Tracy Kenpo when he took over the Mitose system but again, I'll mind my store and he can mind his. God bless him. I also believe he has a well organized legitimate system which has much to offer the martial arts world. Do I believe it was that heavily influenced by James Mitose's Kosho ryu and should be the the only valid extension or continuation of Kosho? I'm sorry, in all do respect I have to go with Professor Thomas Young and his decendants as far as being the closest thing and continuation of the Mitose kenpo system. Imho, this seems the logical choice to continue the Kosho lineage. Just my opinion.

These are not questions anyone asked but they are questions I'll put forward and about myself and answer honestly. Would I personally promote someone to 6th dan with ten years experience? Let's see, I made my 6th dan with 19 years experience and it wasn't because I'm a slow learner, lol. Have I ever promoted anyone to 6th dan and if so, what was their time in grade? Yes, only two, one with 26 years time in grade and the other was already an 8th in Kajukenbo with over 30 years experience. This is me, personally, who only has to answer to me personally, what others do is none of my business for I'm sure they have their reasons whether we agree with them or not. One should not make a shodan in 6 months? Right? Well, I met a guy who made shodan in 7 months and another guy who made it in 6 months. My wife and I became personal friends with him and his wife for for over ten years now. I'll stand by these two men and put them up against anyone on this forum or any other, as a man, teacher and fighter. The first is Joe Lewis and second is Mike Stone. I can imagine the controversy these guys stirred up amongst the traditonalists when they came back from their tour of duty with a first degree black belt. I wonder how much butt they kicked before everyone shut up? What is the standard? Everyone's standard seems to be different so I guess there is no standard, lol.

As far as those who serve our country, I have a bit of a weak spot in my heart for that one. My Dad is a veteran. He was also an ex-pow held in Nazi Germany for 11 months, bronze star, purple heart and a bunch of ohthers I can't even remember. Yeah, I will always cut those who serve honorably a little slack. Hey, just being straight with you guys. Now, a businessman (Shihan Geary)? Yes, without a doubt, a businessman. I've seen many go that route in the martial arts. Do I? would I? No, that's not me which is why I'm still a full time police officer at 53 years old and have been serving since 1977, the year I made my shodan but again, that's me. One of my senior black belts wants to help put up a website for me (for I am computer illiterate,lol), I said okay and this was over a year ago, I should get going, lol. How is it going to look? Informative, conservative, straight forward and above all, humble.

Last but not least remember I stated what the true test of legitmacy is? Two questions and only two. Are you comfortable in wearing your rank around others and are you comfortable in how you achieved your rank. The other thing is I really don't care how someone else got their rank because I'm not the one who will be called on it by someone someday? I'm comfortable on both questions and I mind my own store. With respect to all, "Joe"

OP
K

Karazenpo

Hey Brother Peter, I just posted and went back and noticed your posts. You were probably posting when I was, same thing with my friend John Evans, so I didn't get to answer you guys. Here goes. Bro, Peter, as always, it was great talking to you again the other day. Yep, that glass of red wine hit the spot!,lol. Remember? we laughed about that in our conversation that he could have been the waiter? lol, although, Peter, I went on a police call years ago to a Chinese Restuarant when a waiter broke the jaw of this big burly construction worker with one shot! I never knew he was kung fu until that night! lol.

As I was saying about the NCIMAA recognizing another instructor's rank providing they recognized that instructor. Peter, it was the trend and the way things were done then and probaly still now. Cerio got the idea from Mr. Parker's IKKA, I would have to say it was the norm and not the exception of associations honoring your current rank at the recomendation of your instructor when joining. I really don't think it's such a big thing. It's not a promotion. All it says is I know who your instructor is, he's legit in my eyes and out of respect I will recognize your rank. If Cerio accepted a student from another recognized kenpo school of the same lineage at let's say 5th dan then when he was time to promote him it wouldn't neccessarily be for 6th but for 5th dan. I'm not saying he did this all the time but it was the norm not the exception.

Peter, as far as Funakoshi and his 5th dan goes, Robert Rouuselot lives in Japan, is a contributor to this forum and is extremely well versed in this. He has posted some very, very, interesting things in regards to Funakoshi, his ranking and his Shotokan. Robert would be the one to debate on this issue more than I. I'm just parrotting what Robert told me. Take care, "Joe"

OP
K

Karazenpo

The Kai said:
If someone talks about getting a bachelor's degree in 1 1/2 you know he is full of it, so why is this any different. I have magazine articles from the 70's stating that under 16 no get black belt-In fact Benny Uriqudez made a stir when they(Bill Ryusksa) awarded him a shodan at 14 years old (but he was also benny uriquedez)

In somw systems any thing over 5th is honorary, in some there are rquirements

In all fairness, mr most feared man in nebraska seems to award his ranks as quick as he got them! From white to 4th degree black in 12 years!

Hi Todd, believe me, I know what you're saying. Remember, I never said I agreed with everything and I also stated it wasn't my position to disrepsect and second guess my seniors therefore, I will concentrate only the postive aspects. I don't like wasting my time with negative energy anymore, especially when it doesn't get you anywhere. Rookie cops come aboard and are idealists thinking there're going to change the world. Several years later, reality sets in, they look back and have a good laugh at themselves. It doesn't mean they give up the fight, I never have, but I just look at things now from a different perspective. My core values stay the same I just don't try to force them on any one else any more, been there, done that, it doesn't work. I guess I've evolved, lol. With respect my friend, Joe

OP
K

Karazenpo

The Kai said:

1st to 2nd = 2 + years
2nd to 3rd = 3 + years
3rd to 4th =4 + years
4th to 5th = 5 + years

Todd

Todd, I like that table too, then I delved into the history years ago after being warned by a friend I was in for a few surprises, well, he really said 'disappointments'. Go back to ALL the masters/founders of all the Hawaiian derived Kenpo/Kempo systems we are all a part of today and as a friend pointed out, do the math and when you do the math, check their ages. I guess you could say the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind but is that a valid reason or justification? Whatever..........that's why I have the attitude I do and would rather stay out of it and I'll be honest, it takes a lot of self control sometimes, lol. Take care, Prof. Joe

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And the reason Nick Cerio halted the NCIMMA? Was because of these abuses!

This rank inflation is a problem throughout the industry. You mentioned Mike Stone or Joe Lewis - is it your contention that The most dangerous man in Nebraska is on the same page as these two gentlemen??
hanshi Juchnik can back his crap up>

Other interesting things
1.) His instructor went from White To 4th Degree balck belt in 8 years!!!! Wow!!!

2.) A dojo shhould be flat, free of clutter area to work out. How can you train in a museum/monument? "Alright the sparring ring is the line between the 2 statues and the shrine to myself"
3.) No sparring. Come on guess why.
Todd

OP
K

Karazenpo

Todd stated:

And the reason Nick Cerio halted the NCIMMA? Was because of these abuses!

This rank inflation is a problem throughout the industry. You mentioned Mike Stone or Joe Lewis - is it your contention that The most dangerous man in Nebraska is on the same page as these two gentlemen??
hanshi Juchnik can back his crap up>

I say: Relax, Todd. Yes, that is why Cerio abolished the association, However, they were plans to bring it back without the 'recognition of rank' thing. As far as you question of Lewis and Stone scenerio (I knew someone was going to say that and I mean't to add it was not meant to be taken that way!) What do you think, Todd? Rhetorical question and I know you know the answer. No, my point was that when you put things into perspective, back in those early years, the die hard traditonalists were kicking up a strom and to them, back then, these were rank abuses! Todd, why let the guy from Nebraska upset you? You would say he's hurting us all in general? Okay, for sake of argument, let's take that as a given and go after him on it. Where do we stop? Who else do you want to go after? I have a list too (although I keep it to myself for the reasons I previously have given), Where does it stop or does it stop? No, it doesn't. We cannot be crusaders on this issue unless you wish to burn out prematurely. Let the natural order of things handle it for time will either promote you or expose you. Some say Mitose was a bum, charleton and a con man with little if ANY ability from a made up system consisting of merely the surface arts. I'm not saying this is all true but there are many who believe this. For sake of argument, let's say it's all true. Look what sprang from this? The Youngs, the Chows, Emperados, Gascons, Godins, Leonings, Parkers, Tracys, etc. and yes, my personal instructors too, along with yours and Hanshi Juchnik. All I concern myself with is who I teach and who I promote, that's why my school, although belonging to associations, remains independant of curriculum amd promotions. We do all our promotions unless I wish to take in a personal guest instructor from another school which I have done on occassion. Regardless, it's my perrogative, my show and that way I only have to answer to the guy I see in the mirror every morning when I shave. Gotta go now, done for the day here. Sincerely, Joe

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Other interesting things
1.) His instructor went from White To 4th Degree balck belt in 8 years!!!! Wow!!!

2.) A dojo shhould be flat, free of clutter area to work out. How can you train in a museum/monument? "Alright the sparring ring is the line between the 2 statues and the shrine to myself"
3.) No sparring. Come on guess why.
Todd
We do plenty of sparring. Stick to the facts.

Chris Geary has 10 years of running a school, not 10 years of MA experience. Criticize as much as you like, but try to stick to the facts.

bayonet describes how Geary moves bet I will bet $20 he's never seen it happen. Maybe on Geary's white belt techniques DVD bayonet might have seen him, is that a good way to judge how Geary looks (or more accurately, looked 6 years ago)? Or is bayonet a former student of Geary's?? he doesn't say, just states his opinion as fact.

My instructor is that 4th dan, I work with him almost every day, and he compares to the others I have met of his rank (which I admit is not many). You have even less basis on which to judge his skills than you do Geary's. Not that this stops intellectualls of your caliber from passing judgement. Ask some of the people on this board who have worked out with him if they thought he didn't earn his rank.

So what's next? I suggest you go ask over at Bullshido, they are very good at this kind of thread maybe they can offer some pointers on how to take it to the next level :D

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So while I was on my long weekend away from the hindernet i tried to imagine why you 3 or 4 guys are so worked up over Geary's rank.

I came up with a few possibilities

1) Jealousy - You wish you had $20,000 to spend on a piece of paper to hang on the wall or to gold-leaf your dojo decor. Not to say you would spend it like that, but it'd be nice to have...
2) Bravado - You get your adrenaline fix when you write these posts without risking a punch in the nose
3) Shame - By making somebody else look worse than the guy who heads your organization, you can pretend that the stuff he did/does is not as bad as you know it is.
4) Altruism - People here are the only ones who really understand what a great judge of character you are; you are only doing it for them lest they get taken in by an instructor in Nebraska!

It's probably a combination...

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I am a student of Richard Planas:asian:. Enough said there. I have witnessed 6th dans such as Chuck Epperson, Scott Halsey, Dian Tanaka, Rick Jeffcoat and Clyde O' Brien ( 7th now) move. I guess we in the American Kenpo world have a different take on what a 6th dan means. If running a beautiful, successful school in Nebraska is what you have do to earn 6th dan then so be it. Step onto the mat with ANY of the aforementioned kenpoist and YOU will be truly humbled.And if I EVER find myself wondering through the state of Nebraska I will be sure to stop in and participate in technique line with all you dangerous folk. No I have never seen Geary move and I have never watched his DVD's. Why, when I can watch Mr. Tatum's 40 years of experience on DVD. Thats all. Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers. We can go back and forth but your opinion will never change and either will mine.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bayonet said:
First of all, I am a student of Richard Planas:asian:. Enough said there. I have witnessed 6th dans such as Chuck Epperson, Scott Halsey, Dian Tanaka, Rick Jeffcoat and Clyde O' Brien ( 7th now) move. I guess we in the American Kenpo world have a different take on what a 6th dan means. If running a beautiful, successful school in Nebraska is what you have do to earn 6th dan then so be it. Step onto the mat with ANY of the aforementioned kenpoist and YOU will be truly humbled.And if I EVER find myself wondering through the state of Nebraska I will be sure to stop in and participate in technique line with all you dangerous folk. No I have never seen Geary move and I have never watched his DVD's. Why, when I can watch Mr. Tatum's 40 years of experience on DVD. Thats all. Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers. We can go back and forth but your opinion will never change and either will mine.
How can someone with 5 years in the arts say how a 6th Dan should perform? :rolleyes: But then again, 5 years is enough time in to start talking about what they can do instead what they think others should be doing. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions