inteview of tkd blackbelt

Guan-gi

White Belt
Reaction score
Danjo, the auto is updated. Maybe you can tell if he is still a 10th dan because he promoted himself (which he states he would never do) or because he couldn't possibly REALLY be stripped of rank which so many have said he deserves. I think I need a translator.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, now he's the youngest American to be stripped of his judan ranking.--sigh-- I'm just waiting for the updated autobiography.

Man this guy sets so many records!!! Let me see if I have this right....

9th kyu to 5th kyu - earned in USSD

5th kyu to 1st kyu - never earned or just skipped

1st dan - after failing two shodan tests, Prof Nick Cerio awards geary a honorary shodan in american kenpo - which is later stripped due to geary's character

2nd dan to 4th dan - skipped

5th dan and 6th dan - awarded by Hanshi Angel, in a system that was not Angel's expertise

6th dan - given by a master in Hawaii (forget his name) - later it is decided it was a mistake, not sure if if was stripped

6th dan - recognized by karezenpo go shin jitsu black belt society - which is later stripped due to geary's character

7th dan - awarded by Hanshi Angel, in a system that was not Angel's expertise

8th and 9th dan - skipped

10th dan - awarded by Dr. Keith Nesbitt - which is then stripped due to geary's character

He has had three dan ranks stripped from him, two of which were from two of the biggest names in the history of kenpo!!!

I bet very few will be able to top geary in what he has accomplished, nor would anyone want to!!!

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Regardless of what Dr. Nesbitt says, it’s not possible to rewrite history. I was promoted to Tenth Dan, and I still am a Tenth Dan (as others have affirmed to me time and time again after reading this chapter)."
Christopher Geary: http://christophergeary.com/autobiography-19.php

All the organizations that promoted him are trying to un-ring the bell. Here's a novel idea, how about doing your background checks before you promote someone?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think his next certificate will come with cartoon characters on it

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All the organizations that promoted him are trying to un-ring the bell. Here's a novel idea, how about doing your background checks before you promote someone?

Not a bad idea, but I'd rather see it go one step further.

How about only promoting someone that trains live under you? :(

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Now you're just demonstrating integrity... how dare you?!?!?!?!?! :shock:

:)

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Given all that has happened to him with regards to his quest for high rank, he should have just stitched up his own belt with as many red or gold stripes and save his own monies from all these organizations ;)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man this guy sets so many records!!! Let me see if I have this right....

9th kyu to 5th kyu - earned in USSD

5th kyu to 1st kyu - never earned or just skipped

1st dan - after failing two shodan tests, Prof Nick Cerio awards geary a honorary shodan in american kenpo - which is later stripped due to geary's character

2nd dan to 4th dan - skipped

5th dan and 6th dan - awarded by Hanshi Angel, in a system that was not Angel's expertise

6th dan - given by a master in Hawaii (forget his name) - later it is decided it was a mistake, not sure if if was stripped

6th dan - recognized by karezenpo go shin jitsu black belt society - which is later stripped due to geary's character

7th dan - awarded by Hanshi Angel, in a system that was not Angel's expertise

8th and 9th dan - skipped

10th dan - awarded by Dr. Keith Nesbitt - which is then stripped due to geary's character

He has had three dan ranks stripped from him, two of which were from two of the biggest names in the history of kenpo!!!

I bet very few will be able to top geary in what he has accomplished, nor would anyone want to!!!

You have a number of these "facts" wrong. For example, Lou Angel did at one time promote CNG to 3rd. And it was the Hawaiian Martial Arts International Society which gave him his 7th and "Professor" title,I don't know that they ever revoked any of that. That was John Pagdilao and Jamie Abregana. C'mon, isn't it easy enough to take shots at him using the facts? No Need to make stuff up...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

how many people over, say, 5th degree, can say they live up to this standard in any art? In the kaju/kara/ken/zen/bo/po branch of this tree, I think they are a minority.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Given all that has happened to him with regards to his quest for high rank, he should have just stitched up his own belt with as many red or gold stripes and save his own monies from all these organizations ;)

The thing is, CNG could have declared himself to be any rank he wanted a long time ago a'la Fred Villari etc. but he views self-promotion as illegitimate. Somebody once posted that they thought bumping yourself from 2nd to 10th was more legitimate than what Prof. Geary has done LOL to each his own!

Maybe you don't like the way he got his rank but the fact is, he asked "what do I have to do" and when they told him what to do he did it. I would think that the leaders of systems who hand out high ranks without ever meeting a person face to face or even watching a video should be taking more heat than the person who recevied the rank. For example, Lou Angel was ready to award a 5th, 6th, 7th dan in his Goju style because CNG learned a few forms from Angel's video series. Why would they do that? What good does it do an organization to add a couple hundred members in a state where they previously had no representation? I have some ideas "what good" but I will let you draw your own conclusions.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
David- You cannot justify bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior...

Defending Geary's martial arts reputation is silly, drink some more cool-aid.

One of the first things I learned in MA was that you DO NOT ASK TO BE PROMOTED. How about now? How about now? LOL

This whole thing is such a joke-

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
David- You cannot justify bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior...

Defending Geary's martial arts reputation is silly, drink some more cool-aid.

One of the first things I learned in MA was that you DO NOT ASK TO BE PROMOTED. How about now? How about now? LOL

This whole thing is such a joke-

There is a difference between "Can I have my next belt now" and "what are the requirements for my next belt".

Not sure how I am "defending his reputation". Do you think that self-promotion is better than what CNG did?

What bad behavior am I justifying, and what other bad behavior am I using to do so? I don't follow you?

Do they make a kool-aid that helps with reading comprehension? get some. if you are going to start taking cheap-shots at me, then I will just let you all go back to your silly insults and clowning around and put this thread back on "ignore".

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a difference between "Can I have my next belt now" and "what are the requirements for my next belt".

True. He went by the organization rules wherever he went. But then he went further and started bugging for even more rank. It's a bit disingenuous to say that someone that keeps pestering for what they need to do for the next rank so soon after they recieved the last one isn't doing something unusual.

Not sure how I am "defending his reputation". Do you think that self-promotion is better than what CNG did?

Your very quote shows you to be defending his reputation by saying what he did was better than someone else.

What bad behavior am I justifying, and what other bad behavior am I using to do so? I don't follow you?

The bad behavior of people handing out rank without verifying his ability first.

They regretted it and tried to say "Ooops." Oh well. Hopefully fewer and fewer people will be willing to hand rank out that way.

The thing with Geary that makes him a bit different than others who have obtained rank through dubious means is that he goes on his "Portrait of a Martial Arts Master" autobiography and brags about it loud and long for all to read. Most martial artists that get rank from those type of places know that it's nothing to brag about. If he had done like most that go that route and just kept it quiet, no one would have cared (or at least very few would have).

David, if you like what you're doing and where you're training, then good. You seem to be one of those that is willing to go out and get decent training from other sources and incorporate it into what you're getting. I hope you continue to do so and expand your horizons after your current contract is up.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cool-Aid for reading comprehension? I dunno... maybe I was just delirious after reading all the CNG stuff.

I apologize if I offended your Senior Grand-Master CNG...I sincerily hope that he is able to mail-order a 10th dan from someone else, anyone really, and have it stick! That'd be great...

The guy is a car-wreck...

EDIT: Why isn't this thread in the "Horror Stories" section???

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool-Aid for reading comprehension? I dunno... maybe I was just delirious after reading all the CNG stuff.

I apologize if I offended your Senior Grand-Master CNG...I sincerily hope that he is able to mail-order a 10th dan from someone else, anyone really, and have it stick! That'd be great...

The guy is a car-wreck...

EDIT: Why isn't this thread in the "Horror Stories" section???
Good question. :)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hopefully fewer and fewer people will be willing to hand rank out that way.

The thing with Geary that makes him a bit different than others who have obtained rank through dubious means is that he goes on his "Portrait of a Martial Arts Master" autobiography and brags about it loud and long for all to read. Most martial artists that get rank from those type of places know that it's nothing to brag about. If he had done like most that go that route and just kept it quiet, no one would have cared (or at least very few would have).

I think Danjo hit the nail on the head

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Horror Stories.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
"In October 2004 I received my sixth-degree black belt in Tenshi Goju Kai from Hanshi Lou Angel. When I asked him what I would need to do to get promoted from sixth to seventh degree in his style, he told me I would need to start teaching his style to some of my students. I began teaching Tenshi Goju Kai to about 10 to 15 students in December of 2004.
After a year went by it became apparent that most of my students who were studying Hanshi Angel’s style were not impressed by it. As time went on, the number of students dropped steadily until only two remained in the program. During the winter of 2005 I asked Hanshi Angel, “How long do I need to be teaching Tenshi Goju Kai to get my seventh-degree black belt in your system?”, thinking to myself, “This isn’t going to last very long.” Hanshi Angel said that he wanted to see a couple of my students be promoted to black belt in his system.
In the spring of 2006 I called Hanshi Angel and explained that two of my students had almost finished their training and would be ready to test for black belt in his system in the summer. I asked him, “What will I need to do when we get to that point?” He told me that he wanted to wait a while longer to promote me to Seventh Dan in his system, because the people whom he had promoted to seventh degree and higher in his system had been training with him for a couple of decades. I was under the impression that some of these people may have been upset when he had promoted me to Sixth Dan because they thought he was promoting me too fast. To keep them from getting even more upset, in his NCMA newsletter he had told everyone that it had taken me a year to master his system, even though it had actually taken me about 90 days.
If Hanshi Angel had let me know from the beginning that he was planning to promote me to Seventh Dan after I had been teaching his system for a very long time, I could have accepted that fact. But he hadn’t given me any timetable of how long it would take, so all this time I had been teaching an art that I never wanted to teach and sending him the money for the promotions. I was starting to feel like I was being manipulated.
etc..

Someone pass me the barf bag. This guy obviously view dan grades with the mentality of a crying seven year old asking his mom for another candy bar. Disgusting! :barf:

Latest Discussions