Internal and External Chinese Martial Arts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is not all about qigong all CMA styles have some Qigong aspect, even the Sanda I am training that claims 'NO' qigong training at all leads strikes with the dantian. The definition also has to do with origins or root internal and external to China.

If you notice the styles labeled internal or nèijiā (Tai Chi, Bagua, Xingyi and possibly Yiquan) tend to have their roots in Taoism which is indigenous to China. Where the styles labeled external or wàijiā tend to have their roots in Buddhism which is external to China.

Nèijiā
http://www.answers.com/topic/neijia

SORT RANT FOLLOWS

And with any luck this will not turn into a "my martial art is better than your martial art post" like many of them seem to be turning into and to be honest it is getting ridiculous.

END RANT :soapbox:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
internal / external has nothing to do with good and bad, or better and best. the definition you reference provides a cute answer, but, there are REAL differences in the training methods and fighting strategies of internal styles as opposed to external styles.

that is not to say that external styles do not have internal components, and internal styles certainly have external properties... just like the tai chi illustrates a little dot of yin within the yang and yang within the yin.

and, from my experience, the training methods DO tie back to the specific QIGONG practice for that style.

I'd list these as the basic differences:
1. Methods of Generating Power
2. Methods of Endurance
3. Use Mind Intent

pete.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
internal / external has nothing to do with good and bad, or better and best. the definition you reference provides a cute answer, but, there are REAL differences in the training methods and fighting strategies of internal styles as opposed to external styles.

that is not to say that external styles do not have internal components, and internal styles certainly have external properties... just like the tai chi illustrates a little dot of yin within the yang and yang within the yin.

and, from my experience, the training methods DO tie back to the specific QIGONG practice for that style.

2. Methods of Endurance
3. Use Mind Intent

pete.

I do not disagree with any of this I am just trying to cut down on the confusion that some people are having that say if I train Qigong with my MA it must be internal and that simply is not the case, there is more to the classification than just the presence of Qi training.

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are corect qigong can be added and should be added to all systems, in fact many systems have some form or another of nei gong. but this certainly does not mak them internal arts.

the idea of the art being internal to china is certainly a good point, but their are internal systems outside of china, so this would apply to cma, but not internal arts overall, which I know you were only speaking of cma.

though many basics of internal arts obviously in external arts, the training, and mechanics are much different.

though relaxation is important in any cma it is used at a different level in the intermnal arts, as well as what is often reffered to as "dragon" or "snake body", "the body moving together yet seperatly" is very different in the internal arts. also the closeness at which the methods are used is quite different.
2. Methods of Endurance
3. Use Mind Intent

and i certainly agree with this as well.

Latest Discussions