Interesting question last night

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thinks forms can have personality but should be preformed as designed. example koreo the double pump side kick should be done at knee and middle section. Not middle section and then over the opponents head even though it beautiful when preformed that way. If they are not preformed as designed there is a loss of tradition then anything goes!

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is stuff like that that is going to kill the competition aspect of the martial art. In a few years time we are going to be wondering why we do not do well on the international stage and it is because junk like this is going to produce apathy in the general TKD population.

I have heard of this stuff happening before which is one reason why I have no desire to train for competitions. What is the point of training if the whole thing can be changed at the last minute?

I wonder what would have happened if, after they made the rule change announcement, everybody got up and walked out? or if everybody who got up to do their form announced that the rule change has no longer made the playing field level and they are withdrawing from the competition. What would the judges have done then? and what would the governing body do about it?

If this sort of thing becomes too widespread then attendance for the competitions will decline to a level where each school will have their own competitions and only people from that school will attend.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Competition is fine, but compete in sparring, forms competition is never going to take off. The exception being where there is some creative side too it, or that it shows off physical abilities more. There is a reason sport karate forms, musical forms and Wushu draw more attention, they are more impressive to watch.

There is also a reason TKD in the Olympics is sparring, not forms. Again it is more fun to watch, and the judging is a little less subjective.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sort of thing has really belmished TKD as a sport over the years. At least with BJJ or MMA there's most often little doubt as to who really won the match becuase you can't dispute a tap-out or a knock-out.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is also a reason TKD in the Olympics is sparring, not forms. Again it is more fun to watch, and the judging is a little less subjective.

Pfft. You would THINK that would be the case ...

We've competed in local Olympic style events where we would be beating the crap out of the other guy with sidekicks but lose on points because the judges have a preconceived notion (based on THEIR weaksauce sidekicks) that sidekicks don't have "trembling shock" — all the while giving out points for tapity-tap "roundhouse" (in actuality, "arc") kicks that make a "pop" on the hogu but aren't felt — much less displace the body.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the reasons why the USAT has gone and is going downhill. Makes me glad I'm not a part of it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds pretty absurd and unfair to me.

When we have patterns competitions, they are judged by a panel, and the rules are based on the book... and while interpretations of moves change occasionally, the moves haven't changed in decades. Even in open patterns competitions, the same rules apply to everyone, as follows:

9 Points to be observed while performing patterns:

1) Accuracy. A pattern should begin and end on the same spot.
2) Correct posture and facing should be maintained at all times.

3) The muscles of the body should be tensed and relaxed at the proper moments.

4) A pattern should be performed in rhythmic movements with an absence of stiffness.
5) Moves should accelerate or decelerate, according to the instructions.

6) Each pattern should be perfected before moving on to the next.

7) Students should know the purpose of each movement.

8) Students should perform each movement with realism.
9) Attack and defense techniques should be equally distributed among left and right hands and feet.

These are not ranked in order of preference; they should all be considered. When patterns are unknown to member(s) of the panel, they should look for the above as best they can, by looking for consistency in stances and height of techniques in place of those rules that can only be determined when you know the pattern being performed. Panels are always odd numbers (preferably 5, although 3 occurs occasionally, as does 7) to avoid ties.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And one wonders why I don't care if it's the 'sport' of Korea or not? I have no interest in Olympic TKD, or making it like baseball.

Deaf

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading this thread all I can say is I am happy I got out of TKD when I did.

Money and politics to me do not make a martial art or a martial artist and it seems like sometimes the final decision is made way before the competition begins

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading this thread all I can say is I am happy I got out of TKD when I did.

Money and politics to me do not make a martial art or a martial artist and it seems like sometimes the final decision is made way before the competition begins

This is so true, since I do not play the game, I just tell my competitors to go out and knock there competitors out and then it is no question to who won the match.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YEP but that is hard to do when doing forms unless you get to close to the judges table :uhyeah:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YEP but that is hard to do when doing forms unless you get to close to the judges table :uhyeah:

Yes on the forms end I stay out of the area of competition like this one, you need to kiss way to many asses to get anywhere.

Latest Discussions