What are you doing

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To preserve the art of TKD? How are you going about it whether it is sport or S.D. type. We all need to make sure something is being done before both is gone to the ever after.

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just went to the MA SuperShow and this was a topic of discussion. Play to your strengths. Yes, the 18-34 year old male market is gung-ho for MMA and that's good. But it was music to my heart to see that there is a place for everyone. Keep training. Not everyone can do the ground game and they need a place to train too. Don't let the martial arts community get splintered by discipline. We all have much more in common than we are different. Stay true to yourself and practice tolerance. We'll all be better for it.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm working towards consistently improving and rank testing whenever I can. I have actually been thinking about whether I might want to teach when I have enough expertise to do so. I've also recruited one 17 year old to my club and have another coming at the end of the month to try a class and a third who is going to make it the next month after her camping trip. I've also been using a lot of the discipline/life lessons that we do in tkd with the kids on my leadership team at work.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Me? Cutting back on coke and beer and sticking to straight Jack. Less bloating.

OH, and trying to keep Ashley from killing her sparring partners. Tonight in class she TKO'd 2 BB's that were tag teaming her trying to get her ready for the Pan Ams. It was not a pretty sight.

She is such a pretty young girl, if we could just file down the fangs it would look so much better. Oh, ummm, her drooling at the sight of blood doesn't help much either, damn.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching Tae Kwon Do (as I will be again shortly) the way I was taught, regardless of whether some people think it's too rough.
The one thing that breaks my heart is seeing students learned weakened, watered down Tae Kwon Do, either because they think TKD is about tournaments or because they're afraid to break a sweat.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching Tae Kwon Do (as I will be again shortly) the way I was taught, regardless of whether some people think it's too rough.
The one thing that breaks my heart is seeing students learned weakened, watered down Tae Kwon Do, either because they think TKD is about tournaments or because they're afraid to break a sweat.

I agree with you TM, to many waterdown school that if you sweat it is a bad thing.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you about the lack of effort/breaking a sweat. Last night I held the kicking paddle for someone who just lightly touched it with his foot for each kick. Personally, I try and kick it out of their hand.

What am I doing for TKD? Just the small stuff, helping those people who make it to green belt with their form and step sparring. Talking to parents who are thinking about joining but are not sure. I cannot bend anything very well (stiff as a board) and I am a little overweight so I tell them that if I can do it then they should have no problems. I tell them that it keeps my weight in check and my blood sugar/cholesterol down (it was up before I started TKD) and that overall I feel better.

I smile and I am friendly and kind to the other students even while sparring against them.

Just the small stuff.

Baby_Huey

White Belt
Reaction score
I work hard to make sure that I'm doing my forms and techniques right. Last night I sweated through my uniform to the point the my belt stained my uniform(2 1/2 hours of class work). I hope to open a school someday and give everyone young and young at heart a chance to be a part of something that has given me so much.
Also I'm a syndicated columnist and from time to time I put in Op/ed pieces about my personal joys and triumphs in TKD and I also talk about the how good MA in general is for people looking for self-defense, excersie and to belong to a group that is like family.
I also preform in school demos to help promote the art.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learn.

Then I teach.

Then I learn some more.

Wait... that sounds like my day job, too! Must be a teacher thing... learn something, and you gotta teach it to somebody else. :lol:

But seriously - that's what I do. I learn as much as I can, and pass it on to whomever is willing to learn.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like some of the kicking ideas of 'sport' TKD, but no I don't care for what they have done to TKD.

Kind of like IPSC. At first it was great, a kind of defensive shooting challenge. Then the compensators came, the glass sights, the weird holsters, the games.... and I went to IDPA as a result. I don't shoot IPSC anymore.

And I have no use for Olympic TKD in general.

Deaf

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me? Cutting back on coke and beer and sticking to straight Jack. Less bloating.

OH, and trying to keep Ashley from killing her sparring partners. Tonight in class she TKO'd 2 BB's that were tag teaming her trying to get her ready for the Pan Ams. It was not a pretty sight.

She is such a pretty young girl, if we could just file down the fangs it would look so much better. Oh, ummm, her drooling at the sight of blood doesn't help much either, damn.

It was nice meeting you in Detroit-you are a funny guy! Good luck to Ashley at Pan Ams!!!!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
To preserve the art of TKD? How are you going about it whether it is sport or S.D. type. We all need to make sure something is being done before both is gone to the ever after.

Excellent thread! IMHO, as an instructor, the best thing to ensure TKD's success and preservation is to teach students to be better than I am and to love the art as much or more than I do.

DojangMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you TM, to many waterdown school that if you sweat it is a bad thing.
Wow! They really wouldn't like my school, then. If you're not completely drenched by the end of class, the instructors take it as a personal insult and then they double the abuse in the next session! :D

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! They really wouldn't like my school, then. If you're not completely drenched by the end of class, the instructors take it as a personal insult and then they double the abuse in the next session! :D

Sounds like me are you in my class
icon10.gif

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not much other than practicing the art, helping others to get better, and trying to innovate without changing the basic principles and philosophies.

As for the sweating thing we release a LOT of water by the end of class, especially now that it is in the 80's-90's some days. I am drinking 2-3 bottles of water in an hour and a half and after class is over I still don't have to use the bathroom. We have (some of our larger) people dropping 7 pounds in one class period quite frequently