Instructor Camps

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm talking more of the ones along the lines in which the person has no background or a very limited background in X art. They go for the required time, and walk out with 'credentials' to teach.

Ah... well, that makes sense then

Perhaps camp was the wrong word. For example...at the end of this month, I'm attending the Arnis Summer camp that my group hosts. Its basically a 3 day seminar. What it is not...its not something that you can go to for those 3 days, and walk out of with a Black Belt. Sure, people do test for rank, but again, its not something where people are going to leave with a piece of paper stating that they're qualified to teach after those 3 days. :)

That sounds like the instructor's course for the restraint program I have to attend every several years... the instructor doesn't like me, because I understand the locks better than she does. :) But I will say that I hadn't worked on two-person holds much, so that was kind of useful. The student course is 1 day, every 3 years; the instructor's course is, I think, 3 days. Now, granted, it's a limited set of applications, and over half the class is on talking down students who are out of control... but still...

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
As it stands the reason I don't teach anything is because I have zero respect for my last instructor. I have been doing martial arts for over ten years and I would rather have some certification than none. I am not looking to teach Jim Wagner's system, I am looking to teach self defense as well as being a personal trainer so if I learn some good stuff to add to what I know then that would be fantastic.

I dont expect to have Jim's system down pat after 1 week but I am going with a friend so we wll be able to drill it when we get home which will help a lot i think.

Anyway I will post my thoughts on the course when I return at the end of next week

Cheers
Sam:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been to some instructors camps before. They where called black belt only training sessions.
The instructor was one of the two top people in the system and they focused on improving the techniques of those present while offering advice on how to pass on knowledge. The workouts where extremely vigorous and long but everyone learned.