Instant replay

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was an article in USA Tae Kwon Do summer 2008 volume 3 about is it time for instant replay to be brought in on so many contreversal calls. What is your take on it. Is it good or bad or it just does not matter to you.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Terry, I'll give you my opinion (for what its worth), but I would also like to know how you feel about this sort of thing.

In those sports where instant replay is used for adjuducation its not instant. It takes from ten seconds to a couple of minutes to come up with a decision. Is this a good thing to have in the midst of sport sparring? I had always thought that one of the elements being tested in competition was a competitors fitness to compete, that is, their endurance. If, in something that can be as messy as sport martial arts, the competitors are stopping for an extended period for decisions (cause very few are at all clean) how is that endurance being tested? It will produce a different kind of competitor and possibly a different style of fighting.

I don't think that its a good idea. Double the number of judges, make sure that judges are not connected to the combatants, train professional judges, there are plenty of ways of avoiding contraversy without using instant replay (which still requires interpretation by a judge by the way).

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I myself think it would suck for the players, we need quality referee's that are properly trained and we could have this if they just payed these fine folks.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldnt like it.

judging is what it is. If nothing else, dealing with judges taught me how to change up my game mid-stream.

thats valuable.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How boring that would be! If the referee doesn't "feel" that technique, it was too weak. If he doesn't see it...well, setting things up so that the referee can see it is part of the sport.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never seen it used - but I agree with Steel Tiger that it would slow things down, in some cases considerably, and would undermine the authority of the referees.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But here is the other side views on this, it may take away favoritism between ref and schools. Since it is there it may help in that regards.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sure woulda given Nia Abdullah a spot on the Olympic team this time around. At the highest levels, yes, I think it's a good idea.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sure woulda given Nia Abdullah a spot on the Olympic team this time around. At the highest levels, yes, I think it's a good idea.

You are absolutely right Nia would have been given the match if we had instant replay. But we need to unite and stand behind all of out Olympic athlete during these games.
icon14.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's hard to root for anyone knowing what a corupt system it is.

Yes I can see your point but they are the US team and we as Tae Kwon Do instructor need to show the way for our student to accept things and be behind our country.

Latest Discussions