injured knuckles

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good mornig to all mis amigos here!! Last night I injured my center nuckle of my right hand and maybe I will not use it in my pre examanitation this sunday.

10 months ago duing kyorugi in an examination I hurt my firsth two nuckles and they swell up and then I used this hand to broke two inches of hard wood board. I tought this injure had been heal with time but yesterday using this same hand breaking a one inch solid pine wood my middle knuckle (the bigest of all) start to swell up and today I can barely see it because the inflamation, it hurst when I close my fist and definatively won't use it to break boards this sunday, so I will have to use a ridge hand or a knife hand or an elbow smash.

I am taking ibuprofeno right now tho try to ease the swell up and the little disconfort I feel.

I have to start thinking in not using this hand anymore on kyumpa, nothing is broken but every time I use this hand to punch hard objets I always hurt myself.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ouch! Put some ice on it!

You can always do a hammer fist.
But seriously, careful with them knuckles. when we bang up our joints they are more prone to arthritis later on. no fun from what I heard.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree, ice that hand! You can always do a palm strike too, its one of my favorite board breaking techniques :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck healing, Manny.

This is really more for everyone else uninjured... I'm a believer in hand conditioning for dedicated adult martial artists. We all train punching, but a much smaller number of us take strengthening our wrists and knuckles seriously. It doesn't make sense, because we won't be wearing hand pads or wraps when we might have a real need to hit our attacker outside of the dojo.

You can condition your hand without suffering harmful effects later in life. Just do your research about the practice and decide the level you choose to aspire to.

Either do that or stick to the open hand strikes for breaking or for real usage.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good mornig to all mis amigos here!! Last night I injured my center nuckle of my right hand and maybe I will not use it in my pre examanitation this sunday.

10 months ago duing kyorugi in an examination I hurt my firsth two nuckles and they swell up and then I used this hand to broke two inches of hard wood board. I tought this injure had been heal with time but yesterday using this same hand breaking a one inch solid pine wood my middle knuckle (the bigest of all) start to swell up and today I can barely see it because the inflamation, it hurst when I close my fist and definatively won't use it to break boards this sunday, so I will have to use a ridge hand or a knife hand or an elbow smash.

I am taking ibuprofeno right now tho try to ease the swell up and the little disconfort I feel.

I have to start thinking in not using this hand anymore on kyumpa, nothing is broken but every time I use this hand to punch hard objets I always hurt myself.

Manny

This is why I'm not a fan of board breaking. If I was going to possibly risk breaking my hand, I'd rather do it on someones face, rather than a board, but thats just me. :D Personally, I'm more of a fan of open hand strikes, and things such as hammerfists and elbows.

As for the injury...if you haven't already, I'd get it looked at. Its very possible that you could have a small break/fracture. Its also possible that its just a very deep bruise on the knuckle that will feel very painful and take a while to heal.

If you must do a break, I'd suggest doing something that will not put your hand at risk.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is really more for everyone else uninjured... I'm a believer in hand conditioning for dedicated adult martial artists. We all train punching, but a much smaller number of us take strengthening our wrists and knuckles seriously. It doesn't make sense, because we won't be wearing hand pads or wraps when we might have a real need to hit our attacker outside of the dojo.

You can condition your hand without suffering harmful effects later in life. Just do your research about the practice and decide the level you choose to aspire to.

Either do that or stick to the open hand strikes for breaking or for real usage.

Thank you sir, so I would like top ask you, what kind of hand condicitioning you can recomend me? please take note I don't have any makiwara, nor a buket with iron pellets, etc, the only thing I can do is push ups and use a heavy bag once in a while, so I need a very contemporary way of exercise my hands to get some benefits for punching.

In dojang we practiced the reverse punch for example but we don't do any hands hardening/conditioning thing because we do more kicks than punches.

manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for the injury...if you haven't already, I'd get it looked at. Its very possible that you could have a small break/fracture. Its also possible that its just a very deep bruise on the knuckle that will feel very painful and take a while to heal

It's more like a very deep bruise as you wrote my friend, thta's exactly waht I think is it.

Manny

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm very interested in wrist strengthening and conditioning; I broke my right wrist VERY badly a few years ago (knocked the end of the radius into a 90 degree angle from where it was supposed to be--I had an S curve in my arm) and had to have surgery. It still hurts like the dickens when I do pushups and on some of our SD. Can you provide some good information on wrist conditioning? I already have arthritis in my knuckles, so they're pretty much a lost cause.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because of the hand injures I will rather use on the streets a palm strike or a chop (knife hand) or an elbow, talking about the feet/leg I like to use the ball of the foot, the heel or the shin or the area where the shin/instep meets each other.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm very interested in wrist strengthening and conditioning; I broke my right wrist VERY badly a few years ago (knocked the end of the radius into a 90 degree angle from where it was supposed to be--I had an S curve in my arm) and had to have surgery. It still hurts like the dickens when I do pushups and on some of our SD. Can you provide some good information on wrist conditioning? I already have arthritis in my knuckles, so they're pretty much a lost cause.

You do some weapons forms right? My best suggestion for someone in your situation is to acquire a quality heavy bo made out of something like purple heart wood. Don't cheat and get one of the tapered ones which are easier to manuever. It should run about $150 or so for a quality staff.

Take the time to learn the proper grips if you haven't already and then a simple figure 8 windmill drill. Learn the more esoteric grips too like the 3 finger grasp and such. Regular practice with this weapon using a variety of grips will strengthen fingers and wrists greatly. In my opinion this is a safer way than push ups, but start out slowly with the heavy staff and build up.

You could get a measure of the same benefits by doing simple resistance exercises with just your hands, but the effect won't be nearly the same.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thank you sir, so I would like top ask you, what kind of hand condicitioning you can recomend me? please take note I don't have any makiwara, nor a buket with iron pellets, etc, the only thing I can do is push ups and use a heavy bag once in a while, so I need a very contemporary way of exercise my hands to get some benefits for punching.

In dojang we practiced the reverse punch for example but we don't do any hands hardening/conditioning thing because we do more kicks than punches.

manny

I am an Okinawan karate instructor so all of the methods I know and trust do use the old-type tools. Sorry.

Maybe someone else can offer a few tips.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I'm not a fan of board breaking. If I was going to possibly risk breaking my hand, I'd rather do it on someones face, rather than a board, but thats just me. :D Personally, I'm more of a fan of open hand strikes, and things such as hammerfists and elbows.

As for the injury...if you haven't already, I'd get it looked at. Its very possible that you could have a small break/fracture. Its also possible that its just a very deep bruise on the knuckle that will feel very painful and take a while to heal.

If you must do a break, I'd suggest doing something that will not put your hand at risk.
You can also detach the tendon... One of my students did this, and the symptoms sound a lot like Manny is describing. At first, it looked like a routine break -- but it didn't really heal, and would swell anytime he hit anything. He needed surgery to reattach it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

manny

Go to a bank & ask for a change bag... one they would use for moving 1 or 5 peso coins. Get some sand & fill them about 3/4 of the way. Tie the top off & hang from a tree or something like that. Punch it slow & pay attention to form & technique of your hand/wrist/arm. Then slowly punch harder, not faster. A proper punch will barely move the bag, but will cause the bag to fold around your hand.

Makiwara isn't the best method to use without a teacher that knows it & can teach it properly.

Latest Discussions