Inequality Grows As Poor, Ignorant Atheists Swamp US

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Inequality Grows As Poor, Ignorant Atheists Swamp US
August 21, 2011
Americ
an Intrest EXCERPT:
The stereotype, held apparently by none other than the President of the United States, is that religious people are less educated and less affluent than cosmopolitan and sophisticated seculars. The bitter clingers handle snakes, guns and Bibles in West Virginia; the seculars discuss literature and economics at swank parties in Georgetown.

In fact, some recent research reveals, it is almost the other way round. According to the American Sociological Association, the uneducated and the poor (often of course the same people) are dropping God like a hot brick; the ‘bitter clingers’ are increasingly better educated and more affluent than the unchurched.

As far as I can see, this is bad news for everybody. Atheists and agnostics like to think of themselves as smarter than the God-bothering trailer trash on Tobacco Road, and deeply dislike the thought that they are losing the argument among the most intellectually qualified and best prepared; religious people have to be concerned for the future of religion when whole social classes are dropping away.
It is also very bad news for the poor. The rich can actually get along without much religion; one of the nice things about being rich is that money can frequently shield you from the consequences of a weak character and bad decisions. If you are rich enough, you can do very poorly in high school but Daddy will have a nice chat with the college president after which the school gets a new gym and you get a slot in the freshman class. You can be pretty sure that the college won’t flunk you out or expel you without a lot of second chances and counseling.
Oh, and if somehow you booze and flirt your way through college and don’t pick up any useful skills, don’t worry. You won’t have any student loans to repay and Daddy will make sure that you find something to do.
The poor aren’t so lucky. The poor kid who wants to get ahead actually has to achieve something. He or she has to sacrifice, defer gratification, learn useful skills, and endure the scorn of classmates who think he or she is a geek and a nerd. Some of us are able to do all that and more without the strength and focus that comes from faith in God — but most of us need all the help we can get.
Holding what the release from the American Sociological Association rather clunkily calls ‘familistic beliefs’ (the quaintly old fashioned idea that people who are intimate with one another should make and keep a lifelong commitment of fidelity and support and jointly raise any children that their union brings forth) is key to social mobility and economic well being in the US as around the world. Those beliefs are stronger among the religious, and the American lower classes are moving away from both. This means that their children will be much more likely to grow up poor and in single-parent households.
It also means poor households are increasingly cut off from the strongest and most helpful informal and non-governmental networks of mutual support that our society has.
END EXCERPT
It also means poor households are increasingly cut off from the strongest and most helpful informal and non-governmental networks of mutual support that our society has.
That would be churches, as religions generally have in them a duty to help others less fortunate.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting study. According to the news release, it looks like church attendance is down across the board. But for "less educated" whites, those who haven't graduated from high school, attendance is down from 38% to 23% in "the 2000s."

One distinction I'd like to point out is that the author of the article above calls people who don't attend church regularly "atheists." This may or may not be true. Not attending church doesn't necessarily equal not religious or not christian. It may be as simple as they work weekends.

What I'd be really interested in is a companion study where they look at the least educated moving less and less into blue collar jobs that no longer exist and more into service related jobs in kitchens and retail outlets. Weekends off is a luxury that most Americans no longer can expect.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What the...
Im confused. Arent "Religious People" Stereotyped as Overeducated by Catholocist Schools, or what-have-you?
And the Poor tend to take a "How could a God allow these types of things to happen" approach.
These are all Correct Conditions (Not that I typed), but the Conclusions the Article forms right away are...

Moving on. RIGHT on.

It is my Opinion that the Poor need the Rich. The Rich Pay the Poor. Society CANNOT Function any other way. There must be diversity between the Employer and the Employee, however unreasonable at times.
But thats not the topic.
People tend to Generalise Churches a bit. Even if you do not believe in a Religion, is it so wrong for it to be allowed to Operate to Help People?
The Poor are Ambitious, because they want to be Successful. The Rich never know any better, and Underappreciate what they have.

Its a Vicious Cycle, but they need each other to exist. And theres no harm in letting external Organisations help both sides along, without beating their heads in with Negativity and Generalisations.

Ill leave it at that, and contribute any to future replies.

EDIT: I pointed out the Logic Flaw of considering Not-Regular-Church-Goers to be Atheists, but ill trim that out for the benefit of the Previous Responder.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The stereotype, held apparently by none other than the President of the United States, is that religious people are less educated and less affluent than cosmopolitan and sophisticated seculars. The bitter clingers handle snakes, guns and Bibles in West Virginia; the seculars discuss literature and economics at swank parties...

I stopped reading there. More anti-academia, false-elitist bullshtick. Thank you, come again.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No sure about this author, I am not an atheist. I don't go to church regular, went for some years, got the message, understood it, felt no reason to keep going. Kind of for me like being held back in school, going to church all the time, and I sure don't have the Bible memorized, figured studied it, and only had to that once to get the message. And I don't think following the middle eastern tradition of religion is the only taxi in town.

Feeling the article is ripe in opinion and bias, and is objective as a hungry catfish, my comment: when in Church I could immediately spot the haves vs. the have nots. Difference in my mind the rich people where able to reach a place monetarily where the poor can't, couldn't or are not there yet, either way a place they want to be. All rich people start at some point start off poor, or if not it is in their family history someone started off poor. Same for educated people, we all start off ignorant, some don't stay ignorant while others do for what ever reason. You are poor, you go to church to pray to God for help with all the issues created by the lack of money. When you are rich you pray to God you keep your money and not lose it becoming poor. When your educated and still think religion has value you pray to God to ease your worry and stress. When you lack education and believe religion is valuable you pray to God to ease your worry and stress. And as we see in middle east terrorist groups it is the uneducated and poor that fill their ranks. It is the rich and educated that lead them, that preach to them. that just popped into my head.

I remember the what Jesus said and felt about the rich. And how he felt about the poor.

And good modern family values as coded by religion is parenting the monotheistic way is rooted in middle eastern culture. Just as the phrase better society is defined as, morals and ethics of religion based in middle eastern culture and context. I think a better society does and needs rules and guidelines. I think Moses among many other social leaders all had similar visions and foundation for functional society. I think morals and ethics are needed, but they are not just the those of religion adhering to ancient middle east culture, and within that context. I don't see the simplistic idea that if you don't go to church and follow their brand prescription of church and religion, and don't believe in God society will go to hell in a hand basket. No it will not. It has not. The is no utopian society. I don't believe the church is the only authority on parenting and society, I don't think stoning should come back as a form of punishment. And Adam and Eve didn't pay attention to their kids, they where too busy working? I am not saying church isn't helpful, it is. But not all churches see eye to eye. And that the ways of the middle east are the best and only ways for a society to function.

The bottom line is people generally have to be forced to get their poop together to stay domestic and not go ferrel. Religion does help with that. I know many people who really need church to keep them from going ferrel. But church is only as good as the people who are in it. The article in it's attempt to promote a set of social values based on religion, doesn't automatically equate success. Anything is only as good as the people in it. As many ancient philosophers of many great societies to the brilliant minds of to today, have pointed out, to have a better society is to keep the gap between the haves and have nots minimal. And not religion, though the modern and ancient middle eastern didn't and still don't have functioning/better moral and ethical societies as drawn out by the article.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it is so much more enlightened to look down on people of faith.

I suppose when you equal non church going people with atheists, you look down on enough faithful people as well.

I am not going to church, but I am relatively sure I am not Atheist either...
Not to mention it lumps all non-christians as atheists as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just want to point out, in case anyone missed it, the "study" also only looked at "white" people. So, we're talking about "less educated" (not to be confused with "moderately educated"), white, non-church going people who earn below the poverty line, who may or may not actually be atheists.

This reminds me of a "study" I once read that concluded that breast feeding led to smarter babies. Give me a break.